My cat is vomiting more than 10 times in the past 24 hours

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Atlas is a 2.5 year old domestic medium cat hair. He had a Intestinal Blockage surgery mid March. since yesterday, he started to vomiting. He has not been eating food either. He just vomit liquid with no sign of hairball which is super scary for me since he had the same symptoms last time too. I did not take him to emergency room yet since I feel they are going to rush into another surgery. Is there anything except for laxative that you give to your long hair cats for helping them to through up their hair ball? When is the time to take him to doctor? Right now he still acts normal except for not eating food and vomiting. He played a little bit with his brother and he let me pet him and his stomach. Please give me any advice or experience.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The sooner you get him to the vet the better. Left untreated the intestines can die and become necrotic or burst.
They will take X-rays and or do ultrasound to rule out an obstruction. Trust me, emergency vets don’t want to go into surgery unless they absolutely have to. The entire time they are in surgery, they can’t take in new cases.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs a vet now.

She is throwing up liquid because her stomach is likely empty. If she keeps doing it she will get dehydrated.

If the vet says she needs surgery then she needs it.

If you are concerned about future hairballs brush her once a day with a normal brush and less frequently with a deshedding tool like furminator. But right now she needs medical attention or she will die.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. The sooner you get him to the vet the better. Left untreated the intestines can die and become necrotic or burst.
They will take X-rays and or do ultrasound to rule out an obstruction. Trust me, emergency vets don’t want to go into surgery unless they absolutely have to. The entire time they are in surgery, they can’t take in new cases.
I am glad I see your message. Your messages were so comforting last time after his surgery. We are taking him to hospital again now but I feel super guilty that he is in the same situation again after 3 months. We gave him haircut, brushed him and gave him laxative 2 times per week but unfortunately we changed our house and I think that was very stressful for him and may cause this new problem. I can't imagine that they may open up him again :(

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are still in hospital. It seems my poor boy has another blockage so he may need a surgery in the morning. They may also do a biopsy from his intestine. I feel really sad and anxious. He is such a sweet gentle boy. It’s not fair.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. I was afraid of that with the amount of vomiting. Biopsy is a great idea as a normal cat GI should be able to handle hair. But he does look very fluffy. It may not be hair, it could be something else.

I am so glad you took him in. I know you love him. Unfortunately all the laxatives and hairball medicine in the world won’t help a blockage.

please keep us posted.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ mymnazari mymnazari

Another one over here sending you the best vibes I can. He is beautiful and obviously very loved.

I understand how scared you must be but you are doing good.

Please make sure you take care of yourself too. You probably haven't slept right, or eaten right, with all the worry and fear. Make sure you drink water too. You'll dehydrate yourself and you need to be able to focus properly. XOXO

I agree - it's not fair at all.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone:)
The surgery and biopsy are done. It was another hairball. The biopsy result will be ready in 5-7 days. They are suspicious of IBS. I may bring him home either in the morning or tomorrow.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ mymnazari mymnazari

Another one over here sending you the best vibes I can. He is beautiful and obviously very loved.

I understand how scared you must be but you are doing good.

Please make sure you take care of yourself too. You probably haven't slept right, or eaten right, with all the worry and fear. Make sure you drink water too. You'll dehydrate yourself and you need to be able to focus properly. XOXO

I agree - it's not fair at all.
To be honest I have slept less than 5 hours in the past 48 hours. It has been a combination of stress and long working hours (12-15 hours per day this week). It was heartwarming to ready your comment. Thanks:)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone:)
The surgery and biopsy are done. It was another hairball. The biopsy result will be ready in 5-7 days. They are suspicious of IBS. I may bring him home either in the morning or tomorrow.
So far so good. :-) At least there is a little bit of sunshine! Excellent.

To be honest I have slept less than 5 hours in the past 48 hours. It has been a combination of stress and long working hours (12-15 hours per day this week). It was heartwarming to ready your comment. Thanks:)
You're welcome. I'm glad. Gah - I remember working those kinds of hours. Not fun. XOXOXOXOXO

I'm not surprised to hear that. Rest where you can. Even a nap where you can. If you like baths, maybe draw yourself a nice warm one and soak for a bit - let you body push that stress out. Water - water -water.

If you are a caffeine drinker like I am - I can tell you a secret.- It won't help. Water will actually keep you more alert than any caffeine will. It will oxygenate your blood. Added bonus of keep you hydrated and help prevent stress headaches and crying your eyes out headaches. :-)

Have you tried a furminator brush on him?
These are amazing.

I have two that hate to be brushed - to the point where I have scars on my arms to prove it.

They don't mind the furminator as much and I can get the job done quicker. I take a comb after to get any strays off. It really does work.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon.com

If your cat specifically dislikes the brand named Furminator brush, which all of mine did including the dog, there are other style available. I use the one above which removes a huge amount of fur and seems to be more acceptable to my cats.
I would be extremly careful using this style brush on any animal, it is designed to demat a coat. It can cut the skin if you aren't careful with it. Defenatly would not recommend fir older animals who have more delicate skin.

My mom had a simmaler one but with longer blades for our old rough collie, you could cut the skin with it if you weren't super careful. I think the blades were about an inch long.
Maybe they have improved them in the past 30 years though...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another sigh of relief that the surgery and biopsy are over. I hope you can get some rest and welcome him home in your arms. :catlove: