My cat is vomiting more than 10 times in the past 24 hours

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long has it been since he ate? And he is drinking water right? Is he usually a normal weight? Is he wearing a cone or do you have him in the onesie? Is he active or lethargic? How are his eyes? Do the pupils appear normal? If you look at his gums, what color are they?

Sorry for all the questions. One more. Does he feel warm to you if you touch his ears?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since he ate? And he is drinking water right? Is he usually a normal weight? Is he wearing a cone or do you have him in the onesie? Is he active or lethargic? How are his eyes? Do the pupils appear normal? If you look at his gums, what color are they?

Sorry for all the questions. One more. Does he feel warm to you if you touch his ears?

How long has it been since he ate? He has not eaten since he is surgery. He was on iv there. He ate 1-2 treats and probable 10-11 pieces of dry food all these days.

And he is drinking water right? Yes, and he use litter box

Is he usually a normal weight? He was 11 lbp and has lost half lb

Is he wearing a cone or do you have him in the onesie? He wear onesie

Is he active or lethargic? He walks but he spend most of the day sleeping.

How are his eyes? Do the pupils appear normal? His eyes are following my finger points, we played a little bit last night. When playing pupils were big and now that he is resting are tiny.

If you look at his gums, what color are they? They look pink, normal to me

Does he feel warm to you if you touch his ears? His ears an paw are warm.

One observation is that when he was on buprenorphine he was sleeping with open eyes but now I see he close his eyes as normal. I do not know if this is important or not.

Thanks for caring and paying attention to details ❤

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are complications that can arise from this type of surgery. I am not trying to worry you more. I am just being realistic. Also, please note that I am not a veterinarian. I have worked in veterinary hospitals for decades but I hold no license.

A serious complication can be that the sutures in the intestines leak and can cause an infection in the abdomen. This will usually result in a very sick cat.

Another complication can be that the cat throws a blood clot. This is painful and I think you would know immediately that something is very wrong.

I think it is important that your cat be seen by the Vet today. Most vets would see your cat immediately to assure that there is no free fluid in the abdomen. That is detected by ultrasound or radiograph.

I know you called and were told tomorrow, but you have to understand that when you call a vets office the call is filtered by a front office staff and sometimes the vet is not aware of what is going on. Try to actually speak to the vet if you can.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just read your reply to my questions. Sorry more. How is the bruising? Is it clearing up? Can you post a picture of him?

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are complications that can arise from this type of surgery. I am not trying to worry you more. I am just being realistic. Also, please note that I am not a veterinarian. I have worked in veterinary hospitals for decades but I hold no license.

A serious complication can be that the sutures in the intestines leak and can cause an infection in the abdomen. This will usually result in a very sick cat.

Another complication can be that the cat throws a blood clot. This is painful and I think you would know immediately that something is very wrong.

I think it is important that your cat be seen by the Vet today. Most vets would see your cat immediately to assure that there is no free fluid in the abdomen. That is detected by ultrasound or radiograph.

I know you called and were told tomorrow, but you have to understand that when you call a vets office the call is filtered by a front office staff and sometimes the vet is not aware of what is going on. Try to actually speak to the vet if you can.
Thanks. I talked with vet in the morning and surgeon assistant about an hour ago. If he has infection, can if find out by getting his body temperature?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not always but if you can do it very gently without stressing him it would be good. You can also take a digital thermometer and place it under his front leg. In the armpit, making sure that skin in covering all sides. That temp is a very rough estimate of temp and general rule is you add 2 degrees to it. So if you get a temp of 97 you would actually have 99. Hope that makes sense.
I call this a get to temp. I’m the only one that uses that term, so don’t tell your vet you got a get to temp because they won’t understand. I would be concerned if the temp was 100 done the under the arm method ( called ancillary).

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bruises are getting much better. even the incision looks much better this time compared to last time.
IMG-4655.jpg
IMG-4654.jpg
IMG-4653.jpg
IMG-4656.jpg
IMG-4643.jpg

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last picture is for day 1 and the other are the ones that I took few minutes ago.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok, glad the bruises after better. He really doesn’t look like he feels well at all. Call your vet back and express your concerns. Use terms like lethargic, depressed, listless.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hospital did not accept hime since they are over capacity and they consider him not sick enough but they put an appointment for him for tomorrow 9:30am. I took him to a clinic and vet saw him. She said everything looks okay but it is concerning that he does not eat. She gave him appetite medication absorbing by skin and told us if he is not eating by morning he needs to get iv. Since we are home he ate two more treats but still no food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he like fish? Or chicken? Maybe try a can of tuna or salmon. Just as a last ditch effort to get something in him.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He doesn’t need honey. He is an adult. They don’t get hypoglycemic unless there is an insulinoma. Spiking his blood sugar will do more harm than good.

I want to say how awesome you are for finding a vet that would see him. I am so glad they didn’t find anything wrong. The transdermal appetite stimulant will take a little while ( hours) to work. I have had luck with picking up all food dishes for an hour. Getting completely different dishes and putting only a teaspoon amount of warmed food that you haven’t offered him yet. Place it in front of him and walk away for 10 minutes. If he doesn’t touch it then take some on your finger and smear it on his lips. Leave the plate and walk away. Try this and see if it helps. He may have developed a food aversion.

mymnazari

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Atlas finally ate a little food around 1am. I gave him food at 2:30 and 4am and both time he ate 10% of his food. It was encouraging and heartwarming. His surgeon suggested it’s better not to take home to hospital to not stress him out but if he refuse more food till tomorrow, she wants to see him. We will get more transdermal appetite stimulant medication from vet office this evening.