My cat is pregnant

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
A few days ago my partner commented that he thought my cat was pregnant cos her belly looked wider. Well I've lifted her up and her nipples are really pink.like not how they normally are if that makes sense. But I never even noticed she was in heat. X

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can have silent heats. If she was outside and isn't spayed, it's likely that she's pregnant. The symptoms you're describing confirm it.

How old is she?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She disappeared on new years eve and was gone untill new years day which is not like her. I usually keep her in if shes in heat. She's one.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is almost definitely pregnant. Because cats can go into silent heat, and can ovulate if they are mated with regardless, there is no way to consistently prevent pregnancy if they are unfixed and going outside.

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My plan was to get her spayed but I'm going to learn the hard way about getting it done sooner rather than later. Thank you for ur help

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's early in the pregnancy it won't hurt her to spay her anyway.

Please know that she can get pregnant again within a week of giving birth, if you do decide to go that way. It's very important that she stays inside until the kittens are eight weeks and she can be spayed.

Let us know what you decide to do and if you have any other questions!

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I am going to get an appointment with the vet and go from there if she is pregnant I will allow her to have this litter and then have her spayed as soon as she can after having kittens. X

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Following on from yesterday my cats tummy looks as if she's eaten too much all the time but not huge. Was wondering how best to be prepared for kittens what other signs to look out for? X

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering what do I do to prepare for the labour.. Just to make her feel safe and comfortable. I think I have a few weeks left to wait. But I'm 99% sure she's pregnant. Got vet appointment this Thursday to confirm x

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feed her as much kitten chow and wet food as she wants for the duration of her pregnancy. When she gets closer, you can start setting up nest options for her around the apartment. You may also want to put together a kitten kit with some things you may need after delivery, like a scale to weigh kittens and some kmr and a syringe just in case. Let me know if you'd like more information about any of this!

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks very much @talkingpeanut would a syringe be better than a bottle if I need to help feed? I want to be a prepared as possible is kmr a milk replacement I'm in uk is that available here?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, kmr is kitten milk replacer. There will be brands in the UK. Powdered is better than canned. A brand recommended in the US is PetAg, but I've also heard good things about Royal Canin. And you will need a needleless syringe because a baby with mom to nurse off of won't accept a bottle.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
these articles will help

[article="31379"]Pregnant Cat What To Prepare For The Birth​[/article]  

[article="29720"]Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats​[/article]  

[article="31414"]Help My Cat Is Having Kittens​[/article]  

There are more articles at the top of the forum or you can search the site for at topic as well.

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey me again... How do I make a nesting box appeal to her? Also felt kittens move last night felt like jumping beans amazing [emoji]128525[/emoji]

littlemeow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That usually means there's around two weeks left. You can put any blankets that you don't mind getting dirty or old T-shirts/clothes, just as long as they will trap heat in. My cat settled in her nest fine but you could put some treats in to let her explore the nest first. She might not actually use her nest until her babies are due

princesspippa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning...
Sorry for all questions but u really are my only advice point. My baby in last week has ballooned shes huge. Shes lazying about lying next to my radiator and barely moving if she does she lies on my work top she was cuddling me this morning and I noticed what looked like dried milk near her nipples.. Am assuming this is normal I have calculated she will be due in about 2 weeks. I could be wrong tho as I didn't even kno she was I heat! X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The resting and grooming are all very normal. If she is leaking milk then she may well be within one week of giving birth. Not all cats get their milk in before giving birth, but those that do are usually within a week of labor. Everything sounds good to me! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited: