My cat is about to have her babies and I need help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's a fine idea. We generally recommend re-homing kittens in pairs. They do so much better having a litter mate to play with and snuggle with while growing up. It makes getting through kittenhood easier for the new owners too. Kittens need lots of play time as you can see with your mama "kitten"!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, is it possible that they start purring already? One of them is making this clicking kind of purring, doesn't sound like Zoé at all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Surprise! They do purr when young! Is the clicking a purr, or is there distressed breathing?

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the cutest thing ever! I think it was Bob and he was eating and very happy, not distressed at all. Definitely a pur, same frequency but just a different noise. Love it!

Vic was the one throwing a fit this afternoon, he was hitting Pepita in the head to steal her tit so I removed him and gave him another on. No game, he just stomped around angry and yelling, climbing over everybody.

This one is feisty. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad it was just purring. Mine purred very young too. When a kitten has pneumonia they make a clicking sound when purring. That's why I asked. He does sound feisty! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg, I do hope he does not have pneumonia! They all sneeze since they were born, but they don't pant or breath funny. He was eating like a champ today, guess he would not if he was sick?

The new thing they learned is yawning today.

Pepita seemed very unhappy and uncomfortable before, didn't wan't to eat, was crying and restless, walking away from mum and the others.

I really want them to get bigger so I can't stop worrying...

Zoe did something weird before, she was cleaning Vic and he was not happy about it so he was noisy. She started biting him in the neck, in the front. I stopped her and she kept her mouth open showing me her teeth for a while more, like she was stuck. She stopped when I touched her head.

All are sleeping now, will see how the next feeding goes.

It is so difficult to know what is ok or not, I have no clue about kittens... :(

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh... Mama was just telling baby to behave. She wasn't actually hurting him. Cat "discipline" looks violent, but it doesn't actually hurt much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they all still sneezing? They may have colds. Is mom sick at all?

Mom should not be biting the kitten in the neck like that. Stop her when you see her doing that. She grabbed him by the neck since he was fussing. Mom cats do discipline, but it should be on the back of the neck at this age.

Pepita may have had gas. If a kitten appears uncomfortable, rub its tummy gently in a downward motion to help with gas.

I get the worrying part totally! They will be bigger soon!

Last edited:

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are still all sneezing but don't have any other symptoms. Mum does not look sick, she actually is full of energy and playing.

Ok, I will stop her if she grabs them like that again. It is what I did this time and told her a stern NO. Hope it was an accident.

I massaged Pepita, they sould be ready for another feeding soon, will go in with her and see how they behave.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you might want to ask the vet about the sneezing. They may need antibiotics. Glad mom is doing well!

Last edited:

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And we have numbers. Bob is slow but steady, Cotton didn't gained a lot, Vic is still a little piglet and Pepita is holding her own.

Pepita: 175, 12g

Bob: 166, 9g

Vic: 206, 16g

Cotton: 196, 8g

I will ask the vet tomorrow, it is too late tonight. She is always available for questions on whatsapp, which is nice. :)

Zoé did it again, she took Bob's head in her mouth, not really biting but with teeth. I removed him and told her no.

Lots of sneezing but otherwise happy kittens, I hope they don't need antibiotics yet :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weight gains are fine. Mom sounds a bit rough with Bob. The sneezing is worrisome in kittens this small. Let me know what the vet says tomorrow.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens should most definitely be put on clavamox asap.

Likely herpesvirus, it's a URI.

It will not go away on it's own, and will only get worse and more symptoms, and you don't want to go that route, once the stuffed up noses start, then they don't want to eat anymore.

Be sure to call the vet ASAP for med.

Be careful telling mom not to handle her baby, even if she is too rough, just try to quietly fix it, remove the baby for a minute or give her some time out attention.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just one more thing, there is no draft hitting them is there? It's the middle of winter now. Just a thought, other than that, I love reading about their shananigans (sp)? , especially that Vic LOL

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi @catwoman707 , I just called the vet and she thinks it can be environmental.

We have no winter here but wind season in in full swing and I live about 100m from the sea. Everything is covered in a kind of black sloth that comes with the wind season. Kittens are in my bedroom, in a corner to avoid drafts and I open the window there only a few minutes in the morning. But well, it is only a one bedroom so the black dirt does get in for sure.

She told me to change their bedding, clean again in the room and let her know if the sneezing gets better.

I found the mum on the street 2 weeks babies were born, so she has no vaccinations at all and I do understand that she could have passed on something to the kittens.

I am not in the States and giving antibiotics does not seem very common here. I will let you know what the vet says this afternoon.

Won't tell Zoe anything about biting her kittens anymore.

Thanks for your help!

Hey @mazie , no winter here, summer all year long. :) but it is winfy so kittens are in the most protected place in the flat. Vic the terror is indeed very entertaining. ;)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got you, Theda. Thanks for the update, again, if I didn't say this before, you are doing a GREAT job!! So much fun reading your updates!

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww thanks @mazie , good to hear that, some days I am wondering how they are all still alive^^

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I keep forgetting that you are in South America. I just read this about a possible environmental issue. It could be, but why take a chance? And once mom weans the kittens, she'll need to be fully vetted for worms and vaccinations. Some vets have little experience with kittens and prefer not to treat them. Let us know if they are still sneezing after you clean! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet is saying she has seen that before @ environmental issue, that is why she wants to try that first. She rescues a lot of cats and seems to have experience with young kittens. She agreed on trying antibiotics if it doesn t get better. She also wants me to give Mom a bath, which will NOT happen because she would kill me. ;)

But I will give it a shot to clean her with a warm wet towel. Wish me luck.^^

Never a dull moment with those babies...

Thanks again for your help!