My cat is about to have her babies and I need help

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody,

I adopted a stray kitten two weeks ago. She is about 6 months old and healthy, but when I took her to the vet the day I found her, I was in for a surprise. She is very pregnant. It didn't show much because she was so hungry and dehydrated but after 2 days of food and water, she was definitely showing. The vet did an ultrasound and they are 4 kittens in there, all looking good and ready to come out. So, I am going from no cat ever to five very soon. :)

All is fine with the mum, she is very cuddly and sweet. She eats dry kitten food and vitamins. The vet decided that if she does not give birth before Monday, she will give her a Cesarean. I would very much like to avoid that if possible.

I am desperately looking for signs of labor but I am a bit clueless. Today, her behavior changed a lot. She stopped eating double portions, she wants me to rub her belly all the time and seems to be uncomfortable, changing position a lot when laying down. I made up a nest in a box but she hates it. I prepared two other options, but she is not interested either. I did not see milk but she does have white scabs on her nipples.

Yesterday, I found a blood stain near the litter but it didn't happen again. This morning, she dropped but now the belly is back in its full glory.

How can I know when labor is starting?

Have a wonderful evening,

Theda

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking in this kitten! It is great that you are feeding her kitten food as it has the nutrients she needs.

She will likely not need a c-section. Cats do relatively well with being overdue, and as long as she is not visibly in distress she will be fine to deliver. Seeing as you have no idea when she got pregnant, you can't estimate when she should be due.

Many cats do not go to their nest until they are ready to deliver. This is so as not to attract predators.

The dryness on her nipples is likely milk. You can put some olive oil on them to soothe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much @talkingpeanut ! I have been reading all I could find online but it is still a bit scary :)

She had some contractions that I could see this evening but she seems very relaxed, I guess it will not happen tonight. I will try the olive oil. Right now, she is hiding in her favorite spot under my bed, sleeping.

The vet wants to see her tomorrow but Zoé hates being in the transport box, it is traumatizing for her so as long as she appears fine, I will just wait patiently with her at home I guess. Btw, awesome vet, she does not make me pay for the extra visits or ultrasounds because she is happy i am adopting her.

Zoé the pregnant teenager in all her glory :

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great of your vet. I would just let her be at home until she has them unless you see any cause for alarm. Zoe is adorable, and very lucky to have you.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a sweet mom-to-be! Talking peanut is right. Zoe will have them when she's ready. No need to fret.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you @DreamerRose ! Yes, she is a beauty.

No more fretting, I will just wait for it to happen and hope for four healthy pretty kittens :)

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG, it is happening, 2 are born, waiting for the third. Alone, under my bed, not making a noise. She is a great mum, did everything right. Now 2 more :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!  You may want to move them to a nest where they can be secure after she is done.  You will also want to make sure that she delivers all four placentas.  She can eat them, but cats are known to get diarrhea if they have more than three.

Do you have a kitchen scale?  It's really helpful to weigh kittens daily so you know if they are growing appropriately.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nest is ready, number 3 is out. She ate 3 placentas. So I should take the last one away from her?

I have no scale but will buy one tomorrow. I live in South America, looks like people do not weight kittens here.

They are beautiful and Zoé is very calm and collected.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Number 4 came very quickly, it took her about 2 hours for all. I am a bit worried about the last one, he is weaker than the others and she did not clean him as well. His butt was stuck for a while , the head already out. Zoé ate the last placenta as well, I did not want to intervene because the cord was still attached to the kitten. I will try to move them to the nest a bit later, right now they are cuddling on a blanket and i don't want to disturb them. What a night...

Thanks a lot for the advice!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can step in to help clean the kitten if it still needs. The last one sounds like the runt. You will probably want to give him supplemental feedings of kmr to help him get stronger. If he's noticeably struggling this is an asap situation. If you can post weights and photos we can give better advice.

Congratulations!!

Last edited:

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying to post from my phone. All kittens are doing well, I got them into the nest this morning. Now the problem is the mum is loosing interest and leaving the kittens if I don t stay by her side. So I guess I will spend the day next to them.
No scale yet.
What is krm?
The runt means the weakest kitten in a litter? He is doing well, eating a lot and even fighting the others to get milk. :)
Will try to upload a pic but right now, trying to keep mum in the box.
Thanks again for all the advice!
Theda

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kmr is kitten milk replacer. It's what you would use to supplement if any of them aren't getting enough from mom. Weighing them each day is the best way to tell if anyone is in need. Are you seeing her cleaning them and helping them to potty?

And yes, the runt is the little one in the litter.

It may take a day or two for her mommy hormones to totally kick in. It's great that you can hang out with her today and help her!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms do like to take a break, but you don't want her roaming your house. You may have to shut the door to the room if she is leaving for longer than a few minutes. Moms do usually settle in within a couple of days. Do make sure the runt is getting enough and gaining 6-10 grams each day.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again!

Now I let her out of the room and let her have food at her usual place. How long can she be away from the kittens? I will try to get a scale, the vet here says not necessary, that they will be fine.... Different culture I guess.
Zoé is licking them and I did see some kitten pee in there, so that seems to work fine.
I live in a one bedroom so she can not go to far away, the choices are bedroom where the kittens are or living room. :)
The runt is looking way better, they are all very active and damned cute. :)
I am a bit overwhelmed but I guess it is just until she gets started on the mommy job.
Time to take her back to the babies.

Cheers,

Theda

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The babies need to nurse every couple of hours. Since it's a small apartment, I think there are no worries. She can easily hear them whimper or mew, and will probably go running at the slightest sound. Do you have a heat source for the babies? A heating pad set on low under the blanket? Or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and placed nearby? Babies can't regulate their own body temperature the first 3 weeks. Mom warms them when she's there, but they need warmth when she's away.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much @ sarthur2 ! This is very reassuring so I can let her be with me in the living room for an hour, that is great! I don't think I need a heating pad, I live in the Caribbean so it is scorching hot all the time. When she leaves them, they pile up and keep each other warm, very cute. No AC in the flat, I just leave a ceiling fan on low in the room to keep the air moving a bit.

She already seems a bit less nervous :)

The place is very noisy and she gets scared when people yell on the street but I can't do much about it, she will get used to it. The room is quieter and windows are closed but the living room is open.

What an adventure.... I would never have imagined that two weeks ago. But thanks to you guys, I do have hope now that I can do this.^^

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good evening everybody,

I am happy to report that Zoe has been with the kittens since 2 PM and it is now 7 PM. She does not look like she wants out of the box.

Now I am sure that is a pretty stupid question but she didn't eat or drink since 2 PM, isn't that a lot of time?