My cat is about to have her babies and I need help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will be rehomed in pairs and I will see the new families daily, so I will be informed straight away if there is any problem.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the kittens: they decided the kitten litter is for babies, so they all share the big box and proudly do their business there. I instated kittens time out, when they drive me crazy I put them in the bathroom in their pink basket and they sleep there like little angels. This allows me to be able to open windows and clean. :)

They are now all eating kitten chow more and more.

Mum has elevated liver enzymes, I have to go the the vet tomorrow to know more about it. She is now on a dry food diet. I tried not to get attached but the idea of giving them away is heartbreaking. :(

I will have a dry run for two of them, they go together to a home near mine so in case they are not ready, I can take them back anytime.

I have to say this is an amazing experience and now that they started acknowledging me and that I can put them to sleep with cuddles, it melts my heart...

Even Vic, the tough alpha male is licking my hand and seeking me out. Today was the first time that when mama called them for food, they did not respond and stayed with me playing for about 15 min. Mum was not happy/

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Awww! That's what happened to me ... I fell in love and I couldn't choose who should leave and who should stay, so I kept all four kittens and mom. They turn one next week on the 15th. I'm still so glad I kept them all! Never a dull moment though! I also used time out by putting everyone in my bedroom and closing the door.

They are so cute! When do the first two go to their new home?

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, can you post a pic?
I can t keep them in a one bedroom :(
Not sure when the first two will go, I have a hard time setting a date.
Zoe is now on a special diet, science diet dry food. We will test her liver enzymes again in a week.
Alt is 15 and should be between 0 and 12.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In Post #77 of this thread I shared a link that shows my kittens then and now. In the link it's post #33.

I know you are short on space, but they really need to stay with mom for 8 weeks. That gives you an excuse to enjoy them a little longer. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

What do they think has caused her liver enzymes to be high? Is she feeling poorly?

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying seeing all these cute kitten pictures :) That picture of Vic in between Zoe's front paws is so cute!

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know they should stay with mum for 8 weeks, I am very well aware of that.... It is just not possible. The bigger they get, the more complicated it is and my flat is not kitten proofed. I can't live with closed windows without AC when it is 35 degrees outside night and day. I never planned to have kittens and I am doing the best I can. I think they are still better off than they would have been on the streets and I am sorry I can not offer them the best conditions but it is what it is.

They don't know what causes the elevated enzymes but they say they see that a lot in feral kittens. She HATES the new and the diet but well, she will have to get used to it. I prefer her in a bad mood but healthy :)

Thanks @Raina21 ! They are absolutely adorable :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are certainly better off.  One idea - could you get screens for your windows or some sort of playpen to keep them in?  Maybe there is some sort of compromise so you can all be comfortable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand your limitations completely. Can you run your a/c? The kittens are past the stage where they need an additional heat source.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is no AC :) Which is not a problem when I have all balconies open because the sea breeze and the fan are enough to cool the room. But I have to keep everything closed now because kittens are now big enough to try jumping out.

I am trying to find a compromise but the only thing that would work is a mesh screen to the top and is complicated to get and install. I am not in the States.

I thought about a playpen but they are closed, no? So how can Zoe get in to feed?

The compromise now is to give it a try with the 2 most advanced ones and if the kittens are not ok, they will come back straight away.

Zoe being unwell is not helping the situation, I think her milk supply will become less now that she has no access to food at all times.

Thanks so much for you advice!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they are feeding less from Zoe and don't need her milk as much.  You would be able to let her in and out with them as she indicates.  

I think a mesh screen would also be a great compromise.  Even mesh fabric secured in some way could work.  I guess I'm wondering why it matters if two are gone if you will still need to kitten-proof the apartment and contain the kittens who are still there.  

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I have a working solution, I would not give two away.

Mesh screen would be perfect but I mean, soft mesh because mesh screens don't exist here. So soft mesh would have to be secured on the outside of the balconies doors. I am gonna ask again if that would be doable. But playpen really could be an option, I am gonna look later today to see if they sell some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm wondering if her liver enzymes were actually higher before you took her in, and have been steadily coming down with good food and care. It's a shame she can't have wet food and treats while she's still nursing. Just a thought ...