My cat is about to have her babies and I need help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not planning to keep any of them right now, just the mum, Zoé. But we will see in a few weeks ;)

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

Kittens are growing like weeds, their little bellies hang on the floor hehe. I just moved the whole family to the living room, they did not let me sleep anymore with impromptu kitten parties at 4 am and accidents on the floor (or on me).

Zoe is NOT happy about loosing bedroom privileges but well, she will deal with it.

They are adorable, Vic and Pepita (pic missing, they move to fast) are the trendsetters, they explore everything. Bobbie is the weakest and the laziest, I have to make her walk because she prefers to sleep all day long. She is also scared of... everything? But she is not the skinniest and looks fine otherwise, so I guess it is her personality. When she wants to, she can fight Vic so hard she makes him cry, so I am not too concerned about her.

They will be 4 weeks Wednesday. when should I start the litter training? Because they walk around a lot and well, the accidents started :) I filled 2 trays with non clumpling clay litter as a start.

Have a beautiful Sunday!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start putting litter boxes out for them and placing them there before and after meals.  You may need to show them how to dig and cover with their little paws.  It will help to confine them to a smaller room while they are training.  They are too small to remember to go to the litter box unless they can see it.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @talkingpeanut ! I already have 2 small litter boxes, one near their sleeping box and started putting them in there after playing. Will try to catch them after eating as well hehe. Is it the age they can learn that already? The paw digging is the most fun part, they are so cute :)

Confine them to a small room is not possible, since I just moved them out of the bedroom. My place only has a bedroom and a living room :) But cleaning up accidents is easier here, so that is a plus.

Zoe is still trying to get the kittens back to the bedroom, I guess that will go on for a while.

Yes @Zed Xyzed , I am so happy they made it!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if they are walking around and having accidents it is time to start teaching.  They may not get it right away.  Make sure to use non-clumping litter as many kittens like to taste the litter as they learn.

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is non clumping litter, so they should be fine. Now on to a fun week of potty training kittens :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are having accidents you need to clean the spot with an enzyme cleaner to completely get rid of the smell.  They will continue to use that spot if it smells like urine.

You can also put their poop accidents in the litter box and cover it.  They will smell it and get a better idea of what the box is for.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Without reading this back, I can tell you simply, if they are having accidents they are in too large of an area and need a smaller contained area :)

This fixes the problem pronto!

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

Thanks for your tips! The accidents are only urine and Zoe actually finds them and cleans up. No pooping accidents, Zoé is still taking care of that.

I do have progress report, Bobbie, the lazy slow kitten has understood the concept of litter! She poops in the litter, good girl! Now I just have to get the others there.

They don't seem to go back to where they peed, it is more like they are playing and it happens.

And Cotton, the other rather slow one, started licking wet food juice off my fingers.

They will be 4 weeks tomorrow, it all happens so fast!

I can't give them a smaller contained area... My flat is an open living room kitchen and a bed room, so no options here. :)

I live you with Vic's silly face :)

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

An update on the kittens: They are doing great, they are huge! They go their shots today at 5 weeks. Cotton is apparently a girl, ups. All learned to use the litter, beside Vic.... Vic is definitely the alpha and the most work. Cotton tried kitten food yesterday night, he liked it a lot. The others are not interested yet.

They should all be ready for their new homes soon!

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I was one proud mama at the vet today, they were all cooing over the kittens hehe!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... what cuties. 
  Love that last picture of Mama and the baby.  Too cute. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are just adorable! They should stay with mom for at least 8 weeks, and preferably 10-12 for better adjustment. Makes all the effort worthwhile, doesn't it?

Will the new owners get the spays/neuters done? Cute kittens grow up quickly into fertile adults!

theda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @sarthur2 ! I will have the new owner have them spayed neutered around 4 months old.

I know they should stay for 8 weeks but it is no doable, as much as I wish it was. I don't have the space and now that they are bigger, they are impossible to contain.

They all started eating this morning, btw.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they being rehomed in pairs? Many cats have behavioral issues develop from being rehomed too early and/or alone. They aren't done learning how to be a cat.