My 12 year old chubby cat has suddenly lost her appetite and is sleeping constantly

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707, I was just about to head to bed when I saw your post.  
  Don't be so hard on yourself. Sebastian, who is normally a good eater, had two months of being "picky" prior to his first pancreatitis episode. I blamed it on bad teeth and got him a dental. But that wasn't the problem. He had GI issues brewing. I can't harp on not addressing it sooner. What's done is done and I'm making up for it now by doing everything I can to keep him happy. Like your Krissy, Sebastian means the world to me. It's so easy to get distracted with thoughts of losing something we love so much. Because of this, I almost had to turn off my emotions in order to focus and get things done. I'm more the "thinker" type, anyway, but I can imagine this would be difficult to do for the "feeler" types. 

There's a lot of good information in this thread. I went back a couple pages and saw some great suggestions. I know it's all very overwhelming, but perhaps take some time (when you're feeling better) to go back and read from the beginning. Maybe writing a bulleted list would help. I had a lot of information and suggestions thrown my way, too, when Sebastian was first diagnosed with pancreatitis. I created a spreadsheet on my computer. We had to find our way at our pace (mainly Sebastian's pace). It took six months to work him up to a full regime of Western medicine, Chinese medicine, and supportive supplements and land on a diet that seemed to work. Even today, I am revisiting his diet and have recently added homeopathic medicine and additional supportive supplements under the direction of our TCVM vet.

I do think it's important that you have a vet to call on to explain your concerns and ask questions. Our regular (traditional) vet was so patient with me. In the beginning, I called what seemed like every day. Every time Sebastian vomited or sat in the meatloaf position or walked away from his food, I would call in a panic saying, "He doesn't feel well. What do I do?!" LOL. 
  I knew nothing about pancreatitis. I'm now equipped with the tools and knowledge to manage his symptoms using our vets' if/then approach.

Last edited:

equestrian06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
RE: Slippery elm bark,

The past week or so has been my only experience with it... I first started off trying to mix it in his food - that was a no go.  I swear he made a nasty face at me, worst Ive ever seen from a cat! Then I dissolved it in a bit of clam juice, attempting to mask the flavor and syringe feed it to him, that was a HUGE struggle. Apparently it tasted horrid, so *I* tried it myself and sure enough its incredibly bitter. He mustve thought I was trying to poison him.

Its actually less stress on my kitty to just pill him and be done with it as opposed to try to sneak it into an already really picky cats food - or giving it by oral syringe.

The source I got it from said to give one capsule (400mg), once a day. I can't imagine it'd hurt to give it twice, but pilling twice would probably be less ideal than just once if its all the same?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Looking after a sick loved cat is exhausting. It's constant thinking, constant monitoring, even when you are not with the cat. It's frustrating when you can't figure out what's wrong and you are thinking up and trying so many different things. But there's more to it than this. Take a deep breath and enjoy your cat. Just "here we are - isn't this fantastic!" "Let's do something you want to do" - even if it is just a silent Quakerish hanging out in the same room (sometimes she may want some space). And she knows that you help other kitties, and that's okay. She's used to you being gone for long periods of time and coming back smelling like other cats. Even if it's a bad day and nothing you tried has worked, you have the joy of being with a friend.

A number of forum members use slippery elm bark successfully. I never had much luck with it. Coch could detect it a mile away. Hopefully one of the slippery elm success stories will be online soonest with all the information you need.
Thanks for that.  
 Made me get all teary eyed again!

Yeah, I'm seriously a wreck anymore. I can't concentrate, so forgetful, I can't sleep, then I sleep too much, and unfortunately I don't have alot of emotional reserves due to rescue work using what little I've got. Today was rough, I can't explain what it does to a person being with all of those lovely, sweet, and mostly, so innocent, yet they are about to have their lives ended. My heart is so heavy tonight I can hardly stand it. Yet I can't put Krissy's issues aside, not ever, yet I'm not helping her get well either. Back to bawling. It's impossible for me to step away from rescue work, after all these years, I still have this drive like I can save them all, despite knowing damn good and well, it's not possible.

Yet the ones who really need me, even just to make their last day in this world a little less awful, it sure has worn me down, especially this past year. The worst I think ever. WAY too much loss. Day after day just doing what I do, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Which always seems to outweight the good because it hurts so much, and imprints on my heart and pictures in my mind, so unforgettable.

If I don't get the solution for my girl, and at the very least get her on the right path to recovery, very soon,I won't ever forgive myself. 

Did I mention this is ALL due to my love for Krissy? Yep, she started this all for me. Heh, I was a dog person! Then suddenly she was there, brand newborn baby kitten, I had no clue what to do with her, but knew I had to figure it out, and fast.

Whatever it was, whether she gave my life a purpose during awful times, gave me smiles, oh I just adored her. She went with me to work everyday in my shop, always in my hand or right next to me, it was all about Krissy. 

Suddenly my eyes were wide open, I started really noticing cats living behind fast food restaurants, and so on. Started leaving food for them. I felt for all of them, because of Krissy and how much I loved her.

It went from there, realized I needed to not only feed the homeless but TNR them. I still to this day have a cat route in town I go on feeding my colonies of cats, for Krissy's entire life. 121/2 years now. Started a non profit cat rescue group, and have saved SOOO many, so many. ALL for the love of my bunny girl. Every single one of them, it always crossed my mind how I do what I do because of her.

Now look at me, letting her down like this. It's killing me. I'm TOO attached to her. 

Can she die from this? I just really need to know the truth, just how bad this is.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are all dolls for listening to all my crap. Thank you just doesn't seem to be enough.

@GoHolistic  I think you're right. I need to go back and read through, it's all great advice, a bit overwhelming, but that's just me, menopause, and my need for things to be simple, and this is definitely NOT!

Thanks so much for your encouragement. 

I am in this alone,  it's obvious you are all my support group! A great help.

@equestrian06  I have the powder slippery elm, so I think that forces me to use it as a tea/brew. She is SO darn picky butt though, so I'm afraid she is not going to go for that either.

In a perfect world, well almost at least, perfect would be that it tastes irresistable, but I could pill her with one capsule (they still seem big) that had slippery elm powder AND nexabiotic in it. One pop, once a day, I can do that.

I don't know the dose of the powder to give her if I did attempt to fill a gelcap with this combo. LDG said if she won't eat it, syringe it. Ugh, she hates that!

Well I've exhausted myself enough now emotionally, that I am going to go swoop up my girl (girls, can't forget Simone) and climb into bed.

Another day at the humane society tmrw.........................

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
RE: Slippery elm bark,
The past week or so has been my only experience with it... I first started off trying to mix it in his food - that was a no go.  I swear he made a nasty face at me, worst Ive ever seen from a cat! Then I dissolved it in a bit of clam juice, attempting to mask the flavor and syringe feed it to him, that was a HUGE struggle. Apparently it tasted horrid, so *I* tried it myself and sure enough its incredibly bitter. He mustve thought I was trying to poison him.

Its actually less stress on my kitty to just pill him and be done with it as opposed to try to sneak it into an already really picky cats food - or giving it by oral syringe.

The source I got it from said to give one capsule (400mg), once a day. I can't imagine it'd hurt to give it twice, but pilling twice would probably be less ideal than just once if its all the same?
equestrian06 equestrian06 what brand of slippery elm bark powder did you buy? It has been processed in a way that it shouldn't be used. Slippery elm bark powder is not bitter when unprocessed. It is very mild and slightly sweet. It should smell a bit like maple syrup.

That said, most of my cats don't like it. :lol3: If I sprinkle it heavily with Fortiflora, most will eat it. ;)

Hun, I have no idea what to suggest about food. I just don't know commercial foods any longer.

If she doesn't like the Nexabiotic that much, then I suggest you take it. Try buying the Renew Life Ultimate Flora (15 billion CFU). It has roughly the same strains, only without the S boulardii, which is what most cats object to. I think she needs S boulardii, but when you're ready to pill her or syringe her, then you can add that. I regularly pill or syringe my cats with what I want them to have that they won't eat on their own, but I have the confidence to do it that results in it not being stressful for them. It's a balancing act, if the cats react badly. :rub:

A thought? What about trying an anti-nausea med like cerenia, and if she needs it, an appetite stimulant, like cypro, to see if that enables you to feed her the diet you want her to eat - and she'll eat it more willingly? Or 5mg of pred? It doesn't have to be permanent. It can be for a short period of time - a few weeks, a few months, just to help her feel better while you get her other supplements and diet sorted? :dk:

equestrian06

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@equestrian06 what brand of slippery elm bark powder did you buy? It has been processed in a way that it shouldn't be used. Slippery elm bark powder is not bitter when unprocessed. It is very mild and slightly sweet. It should smell a bit like maple syrup.

That said, most of my cats don't like it.
If I sprinkle it heavily with Fortiflora, most will eat it.

Solaray, which is usually pretty reputable..? I guess i'll check out Whole Foods tomorrow to see if I can find an unprocessed powder. Or would you have any recommendations on brand? (Something a local health store might carry or vitamin shoppe?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update on Krissy, is pretty much no news. She continues to be fairly stable but I don't see progress at all, only that she remains eating fine, random days here and there that she eats less, but Krissy doesn't have vomiting or even any signs of nausea. Just the same laying down when she eats or drinks, sleeps and lays in places I don't like, rather anti-social-ish, slightly weepy eyes and the nasal wetness in side her nose, totally signs of allergy, still.

As much worrying and stress as this has caused me for so darn long, you would think I would be more vigilant with her supplements. 

She hates the nexabiotic, and if I need to I will pill her with it, but was so unsure about how to give her 1/2 of one of those capsules, so I was sprinkling her dry food with it, which made her not eat enough, so that stopped.

So now no nexabiotic, and I didn't start the se powder because I can't get the nexabiotic going right yet.

Lame, I hear ya......

@LDG  I felt like I lost you there for a bit and didn't want to keep pestering you with my psychotic episodes! 

The way I need to give her the nexabiotic and the se powder, if you tell me, I will do it. I might be thinking negatively before I know, but would bet she is not going to go for the se brew either, so how should I do this? Syringe it to her? I start pilling and syringing her and she is going to stay away from me. Unless I can do both once a day, then it is what it is Krissy! lol

Food-wise, oh boy the thought exhausts me after my crazed searching, etc.

I don't know if it's turkey, or the dry that keeps her inflammed, which is surely still there since she is not normal still. (or for that matter the fact that her canned is still ff turkey)

So I've started throwing small amts of fish flavors at her to see that she eats them alot better. I am going to try her on Natural Balance limited ingredient diet salmon and green pea canned and dry. The better she will eat the canned, the more I can remove some of the dry she eats. I should have already started this but have to get that at petco, and will by Friday, just over the top busy with cat drama at the humane society, and waiting to hear back from the ultrasound vet. (which is looking impossible)

Trips to the dentist, I could go on and on, but that is my next tryout for the food.

It's not thrilling to me either, but worth a try at least. 

I have also seriously thought that maybe she needs to be on prednislone for a short time, but have gotten so many mixed feelings about this.

I'm not even sure what to think at this point, and do NOT trust that my vet who is invlolved with Krissy's issues is a good judge whether she gets the pred or not. She was very iffy anbout her getting it, and honestly, I don't know why.

Is it because she is already overweight? What would make her not try it? Did she want to try the diet change first? I don't know. But I do know that if I call her and ask if we should put her on it, then she will, thinking it's what I want, but the fact is, I don't know. 

Laurie, what do YOU know about it, and what is your opinion, of possible dangers or side effects?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for asking.

Well I went and bought the NB lid salmon dry and canned.

Both of my cats ate it up well, so I started mixing her dry turkey with the salmon dry to get her transitioned over.

After 3 cans, they didn't want to eat the canned. It's like they want a variety, which is no good for Krissy, I know.

So no more salmon canned being eaten, so I offered FF turkey canned and that was a few days ago, they are back to eating that now, but the dry is still the mixed turkey and salmon now.

I've gotten beyond discouraged, and starting to think I'm not going to be able to heal her and she will be stuck to live the rest of her life like she is now.

So, nothing new or positive to update at all. VERY discouraged.

Oh, and of course she is fatter looking eating mostly dry, also not good, she is already overweight, she is one of those cats who must have a genetic factor that some do, as her weight has always been a problem. My vets have all said over the years, that progress for cats like her is keeping them from gaining and forget about trying to get them to lose, it is VERY difficult to achieve. (oh great)

A couple years ago now, I DID get her off of dry food and on all canned, she lost 2 lbs, so she is affected quite a bit by the dry, which is why she is looking fatter again.

As hard as that was to accomplish, I can't believe I have to do that all over again, talk about a giant step backwards. But had to allow her to eat dry with all this going on with her now, when she hit her peak and stopped eating. Dry is easy to get her to eat, she is a dry food junkie, and it doesn't take much for her to gain either, she might eat 1/2 cup per day on the better eating days, but actually more like 1/3 cup. Then a small amt of canned. 

Another example of how my vet doesn't get how to properly treat her condition, she told me to start her on the BB lid turkey dry and that the FF turkey canned was fine. 

That is NOT healing her.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well it's been a long time since I had to come back to this thread.

Nearly a year ago I was a nutcase over all of the IBD/pancreatitis drama, and happy to say that up until very recently, Krissy has done beautifully on BB LID turkey, and canned fancy feast classics turkey and turkey and cheese.

I was warned that in time she will likely start having reactions to turkey, and will need to find a new protein, and that time may have just arrived :(

Not this again!!

Eh, not too bad of signs, but no other reason for her recent change, lesser appetite, lacking interest and spunk again, sleeping more and hanging in her water dish..........oh and a few times this past week including today, she vomits but nothing comes up, except today's there was a very small amt of digested food.

Ugh, what now?! She is SO picky! It was such an ordeal getting her used to the turkey, all because she refused to eat any of the other limited ingredient or better for her turkey canned, so I discovered fancy feast turkey classic has no chicken in it, which is Krissy's problem food, and fish too.

So now that she is becoming sensitive to the turkey, has it been long enough that I can now go back to chicken for a while or no?

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nearly a year ago I was a nutcase over all of the IBD/pancreatitis drama, and happy to say that up until very recently, Krissy has done beautifully on BB LID turkey, and canned fancy feast classics turkey and turkey and cheese.

I was warned that in time she will likely start having reactions to turkey, and will need to find a new protein, and that time may have just arrived :(

Not this again!!

Eh, not too bad of signs, but no other reason for her recent change, lesser appetite, lacking interest and spunk again, sleeping more and hanging in her water dish..........oh and a few times this past week including today, she vomits but nothing comes up, except today's there was a very small amt of digested food.

Ugh, what now?! She is SO picky! It was such an ordeal getting her used to the turkey, all because she refused to eat any of the other limited ingredient or better for her turkey canned, so I discovered fancy feast turkey classic has no chicken in it, which is Krissy's problem food, and fish too.

So now that she is becoming sensitive to the turkey, has it been long enough that I can now go back to chicken for a while or no?
i'm so sorry your krissy is feeling poorly.

i'm posting right now in order to *bump* this thread, so others will notice it. i've got to get to bed now, but will be back tomorrow morning and will post more here then.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not this again!!

has krissy been to your vet's recently, like for her annual physical? if so, what does your vet think about krissy's possible/likely reaction to turkey? since i've had cats with diabetes and CKD, i worry about those possibilities.

i don't know much about food sensitivities/allergies, and i'm not sure if you could try chicken again.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is, it looks like I was wrong.

I can't begin to tell how grateful and relieved I am about THAT one!!

I started a thread the other night that got no replies, but the answer is clear now.

Advisor needing advice! Both of my cats are not eating...........

Both are doing fine again, so it was some sort of virus, must have come from the mom and kids I have here from the shelter.

Remember all of the trouble I had last year finding what will work for Krissy? The thought of turkey no longer working for her is so dreaded, not sure what I will do then, but thankful it's not here yet!!

Thanks for the reply and checking in @mickNsnicks2mom  !

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The good news is, it looks like I was wrong.

I can't begin to tell how grateful and relieved I am about THAT one!!

I started a thread the other night that got no replies, but the answer is clear now.

Advisor needing advice! Both of my cats are not eating...........

Both are doing fine again, so it was some sort of virus, must have come from the mom and kids I have here from the shelter.

Remember all of the trouble I had last year finding what will work for Krissy? The thought of turkey no longer working for her is so dreaded, not sure what I will do then, but thankful it's not here yet!!

Thanks for the reply and checking in @mickNsnicks2mom  !
i'm relieved to hear that it's not a sensitivity to the turkey at this time!