More Concerned for Boo

worriedsomuch

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy Birthday Boo! I'm so glad he is feeling better and doing so well! What a cutie

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Birthday!  Glad to hear he is doing well.  I am considering adding Gabapentin to my 2 kitties regimen. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boo was at the vet today. Within the past month or so, his drinking and urinating had really picked up. We had blood work and a urinalysis done. The results will be in on Monday. He lost another 0.5 pound. 
  I inquired about his arthritis, and once again about using Adequan, because he is walking very "gingerly" lately. She wants to wait to do anything until we get the results of the labs back.

Also, when I had him on Fancy Feast, Friskies, and other similar foods, he ate well, but he started scratching his neck, face, and ears like crazy. He was taking the fur off his ears, and his ear infection returned. He was very uncomfortable. It seemed all arrows pointed towards a possible food allergy. So earlier this week, I decided to try him on a limited ingredient food again. He's unhappy with it, not eating much of it, and I have to use toppers, which defeats the purpose. I keep trying different ones. I have noticed, though, that the scratching seems to be less and his ears aren't getting so red and hot after eating. I guess we'll see what happens on Monday and I may have to figure out another food plan.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she looking for anything specific in these results?  I mean, is there something she's afraid Adequan might hamper the next diagnostics for?  I can't think of anything, but I can certainly be mistaken.

For the arthritis, would a heating pad under a blanket help?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is she looking for anything specific in these results?  I mean, is there something she's afraid Adequan might hamper the next diagnostics for?  I can't think of anything, but I can certainly be mistaken.

For the arthritis, would a heating pad under a blanket help?
Yes, she's looking for signs of kidney issues (BUN, creatinine, etc.), hyperthyroidism, and diabetes. His last labs were all clear except for some protein in his urine, which, when we did the protein to creatinine ratio test, that came out okay, too.

I don't know about the Adequan. She's a diagnostic-heavy vet and likes to wait for results.  

Boo doesn't like to be hot. I have a heating bad, and tried that, but he doesn't like it. Thank you for suggesting it, though!  

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh, what an ordeal you and Boo have been through!

It is so hard to find the right food. Have you tried any of the frozen raw food you can buy? I know someone who started buying that for their cats and had good results. I'm not sure where I stand on the whole raw movement, but I think that at a certain point when we've exhausted all our options in commercial food then it might be time to consider what other alternatives there are.

Sending out lots of love too Boo, what a beautiful cat!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried commercial raw for Boo. He wouldn't touch any of it except raw lamb, but he would regurgitate it (even only a pea-sized amount mixed with this wet food). Getting him to eat enough of anything has taken priority over trying to force something upon him that he won't eat. He is a stubborn old man, and will just go to bed if he doesn't like what I offer him. He has lost over 2 lbs. in less than 2 years. The weight loss is why I started giving him FF, Friskies, etc. in the first place (he was on premium canned)...because he would eat them enthusiastically and I felt less of a need to worry. I started a thread about this last fall: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/267090/forcing-premium-canned-foods-is-it-worth-it. But now it seems he started reacting to the cheaper foods after being on them for a few months.

Anyway, I am already seeing marked improvement since stopping the FF and Friskies stuff. His ears seem to tell it all. They were getting bright red and hot after he ate, and he would scratch at them. But this has not happened in the past couple days. There is still some occasional scratching at his neck. For now, I changed my mind and decided to eliminate just chicken, beef, and fish (top allergens), which leaves me with at least turkey and duck canned foods to try. I gave him turkey yesterday, and his ears did not get red. He stopped eating the NV LID Lamb that I was trying to get him to eat.

I feel like this thread is all over the place, and I guess it would feel that way because Boo has multiple things going on. Oh, the trials and tribulations of a senior cat!  

I would say that his generalized pain and discomfort from IVDD and arthritis is being managed well by the Gabapentin. I hope we can also start Adequan sooner than later. My next/current challenge will be with food and getting him to eat enough, coupled with whatever information I receive tomorrow as a result of his blood work and urinalysis (possible kidney issues).

On a positive note, he was very rambunctious this morning! He was playing with Caesar and chasing him all over the house and even jumped 3-4 feet over a large pile of laundry I had on the floor. Go Boo! Maybe the cheaper foods were really dragging him down? 

sara457

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the blood tests - I really hope you get some positive news, Boo is such a little trooper!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The results are in. The vet said Boo's blood work looks like that of a 4-year-old cat (he's 14). It looks GREAT.  
The urine culture came back all clear. No blood, no crystals, no bacteria, no infection. 
  EVERYTHING on his blood work is in range with the majority being right smack in the middle. Total Protein, Albumin, and Globulin were on the high side of normal. He does still show protein in his urine. The results showed one plus sign (+). She wanted to run the protein:creatinine test again, but we just had that done. I questioned how different the results might be so soon, so we agreed to wait a couple months before running another urinalysis and the p:c test.

Here is where I am stumped. Boo is eating less, losing weight, drinking significantly more, and urinating more as a result - all of which are very obvious at this point. He may even have some edema, as I noticed a slight barreling affect around his rib cage area. I tossed around the possibility of Boo being in the very early stage of glomerular disease, but I need to talk to the vet a little more about this. The results of his labs are not adding up his symptoms. What am I missing? Is this just old age I am witnessing? Or something more? Should I revisit a possible heart condition?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very unusual.  I know my 11 yo(got him at day old so know age for sure) has lost weight and looks very run down but last blood work was perfect.  His fur has changed and he has lost body fat which makes him appear to be sickly.  His sister has the same look but her tabby pattern makes it less obvious.  The mostly black coat seems easier noticed.

I know your happy with vet and not saying to switch but have you gone to another jsut for a 2nd opinion? Not sure if your vet is part of practice but I mean new clinic/new vet.  Someone not familiar with Boo at all.  Should be able to review BW that was not pulled and not need to stress for the same tests.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think I'm going to call the same vet who helped me stabilize Sebastian. She's an integrative vet who specializes in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Perhaps she'll have something to offer from another perspective.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's so terrible when you know that something is wrong but it's too early for a definitive diagnosis. Wishing you the best with the second vet.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
is it at all possible Boo caught FIP from someone? I'm not suggesting he has it but my cat displayed similar symptoms after being exposed to other cats and I still wonder if maybe she caught it though they were SUPPOSEDLY negative (p.s...my cats nickname was boo...)

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:

is it at all possible Boo caught FIP from someone? I'm not suggesting he has it but my cat displayed similar symptoms after being exposed to other cats and I still wonder if maybe she caught it though they were SUPPOSEDLY negative (p.s...my cats nickname was boo...)
I guess anything is possible, but FIP is highly unlikely. I know dry FIP can linger for awhile, but Boo's symptoms have been going on since November 2013 (six months ago). If he had FIP and it had lasted this long, I would think he'd be on his death bed right now. 

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a phone appointment with the TCM vet tomorrow afternoon to discuss Boo's issues. I don't even know where to start, but I am hopeful she'll be able to help! 
  I'll be spending the evening gathering his notes and records.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I have a phone appointment with the TCM vet tomorrow afternoon to discuss Boo's issues. I don't even know where to start, but I am hopeful she'll be able to help! 
  I'll be spending the evening gathering his notes and records.

Hopefully she'll come up with something helpful