Michigan Meet-up!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking all bringing something kinda like a potluck and maybe pointing out some places in the area to pick up something incase they are too far to transport food however they want. I'm thinking we should find a place that can either have a plug in for electrical or a grill to grill on as well!

I also think everyone should bring their own place settings and beverages, though if someone wants to bring extras just in case that would be good!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm...gotta update you all.

If you didn't see my thread from Sunday, well I just took a new job offer...in New Jersey.

I'm not moving out there until the end of September and the 16th may still work for me. I'll keep you posted though...B and I may make a trip to West side to say good bye to family as well. I'm pretty sure at some point I have to go back to NJ and find a place to live...at some point. As of right now keep me counted in...but if anything changes I'll let you know.

I'd love to meet (and see) all of you before I leave!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to take and pick up DH from work on the 16 so I won't be able to go.

I hope everyone has a good time though and I want to see lots of picks

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenney!! I sure do hope you are able to make it to the meet-up! I am very happy for you about the new job! I hope that it all works out nicely for you and that you love it!!
Keep us posted and we'll try to do what we can to make sure you'll be able to show!!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Weeee! I don't know Michigan that well except for what's near the Indiana state line. My only request is that we try to stay in the south half of MI... Anything much further North than that may be too far for me.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... Here are some places that I found online and called a couple about.

Starting in Muskegon:

There are two very nice places that I have been to that would be easy to get to as well as easy to be sure there is a place to eat without having to worry about reservations. (Also I could go down early and sort of horde up the space if needed!!
)

http://www.muskegon-mi.gov/community...ks/default.asp
This link is for both the nest two places

Pere Marquette Park

Very close to the beach (VERY) nice area, easy to find, easy parking, covered picinic area and uncovered. Has grills, and garbage cans, and there is a play area for kids. No fee to get in or park or anything. The picinic area is in the Margeret Drake Elliot Park area in the green towards the top of the pic. This is also walking distance to the USS Silversides and Naval Museum.
http://www.muskegon-mi.gov/community...al/default.asp

Kruse Park
Very close to the beach again! (VERY) nice area, easy to find, easy parking, covered picinic area. Has grills, and garbage cans, and there is a play area for kids. No fee to get in or park or anything. There are stairs to go up the dunes and look out over Lake Michigan, it's very beautiful.

----------------------

Holland:

I found three places that sounded nice.

http://www.michigan.org/travel/detail.asp?m=0&p=B12822
http://www.outdoordiscoverycenter.or...ce/default.asp
Outdoor Discovery Center
Area is open from Dawn to Dusk everyday. There one Exhibit house is open from noon - 4pm on Sunday. They have a picinic area under a tent of 30X60, though I think that may need to be rented in order to use it. Rent for that is $150, there are no grills or electricity. It looks cool though otherwise.

http://www.miottawa.org/ParksVI/Parks/tunnel.htm
http://www.michigan.org/travel/detail.asp?m=0&p=B8500
Tunnel Park
Looks like there is plenty of places to sit, and look around and there is a tunnel through the dune. They have two covered picinic areas both with grills and electricity. I would assume it not to be too hard to get one on a sunday this late in the year since school will be back in session though I am not sure. Looks nice from the pictures. You can see both picinic shelters by clicking on the North & South buttons in the description.

Lastly

http://www.michigan.org/travel/detail.asp?m=0&p=b2466
http://www.cityofholland.com/Brix?pageID=111

Windmill Island
When I called to get info to see if anything would be going on that day or to see if they had the dancers and such still then, I got a recording that said that there was an admission charge of $7 per adult, $4 for kids 5-15, and Free for children under 5. That was all the information unless I wanted to leave a message and get a call back. It does look nice otherwise and it says there is a picinic area though I am not sure if it's covered or not.

So... those are what I was able to find that did not require a State Park sticker in order to get in. Any thoughts or other suggestions???

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jill, you rock for organizing all this!

My first vote is for Tunnel Park (mostly because it's a little closer to me) providing there's no or only a small fee for using the shelters. Actually, I wonder if we could use them with out a reservation providing no one else had reserved them for that day?

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally that's how it works... you can use them if no one else is using them and most of those places have no fee. I will try and give them a call today and see what they're rules persay are. Hey crittergirl!? You still going right? If I don't have my breaks done yet do you think I could carpool with you if we go to Holland? I know you are the closest to me but I'm not sure which place you'd be coming from!

Jill

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

Generally that's how it works... you can use them if no one else is using them and most of those places have no fee. I will try and give them a call today and see what they're rules persay are. Hey crittergirl!? You still going right? If I don't have my breaks done yet do you think I could carpool with you if we go to Holland? I know you are the closest to me but I'm not sure which place you'd be coming from!

Jill
As far as I can tell at the moment I will still be going, but I will be coming from my house which is near South Haven, sorry, otherwise I would be happy to give you a ride.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping to get my breaks done this week if nothing else major happens!!
It's also only an hour drive... I think I should be ok!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Jill, you rock for organizing all this!
....Still sending Good Vibes.....
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
For Jill and for the Succesfully of this Meeting!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again Rigel for the vibes!!!
So... does anyone else have any suggestions or comments on the place thus far. We'll have to offically set it soon to get everyone PM'd about it! How many are still planning on coming?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still in! I told my husband where it was likely to be (holland or near there) and all he said was "Do you know how far that is?!" LOL My cousin's girlfriend i sprobably camping that weekend though so, the cheese stands alone.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

I'm still in! I told my husband where it was likely to be (holland or near there) and all he said was "Do you know how far that is?!" LOL My cousin's girlfriend i sprobably camping that weekend though so, the cheese stands alone.
As far as I still can tell I will be going so you can always meet up with me and I can drive the rest of the way. Tunnel park would be nice as long as it is not too cold out. It gets pretty chilly right by the lake...
Let me put my thinking cap on and try to come up with a place with a picnic area in Holland as I grew up there. Maybe Kollen's Park?? Still on a Lake...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still a big IF.

We don't have a mover or anywhere to move to yet! Once I can get that (hopefully all next week) I can let everyone know for sure if I'm going.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... I'm going to start a new thread with the date and a probably for sure place of Tunnel Park or in Holland for sure, and get the PM's out to like Linda -Stamp3D so if she can go she can try to get in touch with twstychik!

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skkelly

Sorry I have been trying to follow along about the meet up but don't get on here as I would like. From what I have read probably a picnic, not sure of location yet, and is there a day time yet? Feel free to pm me as I would like to try and make it, but I also work so the sooner I know the more chance I have.

Thanks for the help,
Skkelly
skkelly tried to PM you but your box is full!! there is a new thread so check it out and let us know!!