Meet Mr. McGrumpy, the newest member of our family!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.... I found a new spray last night :(
About not letting him go outside.... Not for a while.... But hopefully he will be able to go again.... :cross:
I will start letting the others go out soon, and will hate having him watching it from the window :(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Well.... I found a new spray last night

About not letting him go outside.... Not for a while.... But hopefully he will be able to go again....

I will start letting the others go out soon, and will hate having him watching it from the window
And you have such a fabulous, safe garden for them.  Definitely
for a potentially outdoor Mac...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yey, another spray-free night! Go Mac! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might pay tonight..... Mac went out today :eek:

I fixed some parts of the fence that had to be fixed, and secured a multi-branch tree that had to be taken care of. The kitties wanted to go out sooooo bad. I let Bugsy and Lucky out and Mac went NUTS :(
So...... I let him out too.

He sprayed the E-N-T-I-R-E fence. Seriously, I never seen such a supply of spray :thud: He didn't spray the house though, which is a start.

They played a storm, had loads of fun, and now are inside with me. I immediately sprayed the entire house with Feliway when we came in. So far he has been good. We will see how he does when I go on my pee hunt tonight - hopefully I won't find anything :cross:

I know it is soon, and I know it is a mistake..... I am just too much of a softy..... :(

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am just too much of a softy.....
I'd be the same way. It would have to be everyone in or everyone out.  Fingers crossed for you....

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news! Just did the spray check and the house is clear! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
I know the true test will be tomorrow because he still needs to make the entire night without marking..... But Even though he sprayed the entire fence and backyard, he did not sprayed the house yet, and he has been inside since about 4pm (it's 1am now).

Go Mac! :woohoo:

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
Com'on Mac.. you can do it! (or not do it, really....
)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cross: :cross: :cross: Hoping the entire night was uneventful
indeed it was! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am so excited! Not only he didn't spray yesterday, but he didn't spray last night and today either :bigthumb: AND....... we went outside today for quite a while, he did his regular spray routine on the fence, although not as bad :lol: and didn't spray the house afterwards! AND I even have a new piece of furniture (new things are a major trigger for him) and not a single spray :woohoo:
Oh.... Would be Sooooo nice if we were past the trouble waters (no pun intended :flail:)
I will not change the plan now.... I will definitely continue with the calming collar, the feliway, and the rescue remedy. I have to believe that combo works. And thank goodness for nok out and a great uv light :thud:

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I can feel the relief

Well done Mac

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's great.  I've actually seen Jackson Galaxy use going outside (with harness and leash in this case) as part of a behavior plan for a urine marking cat.  That cat got it all out of his system when he was outside.  (He also calmed down once he sort of "made friends" with the neighborhood cats that were freaking him out from the window.)  Anyways, maybe spraying around the fence will become the only spraying he does, if he continues. 

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
indeed it was!

I am so excited! Not only he didn't spray yesterday, but he didn't spray last night and today either
AND....... we went outside today for quite a while, he did his regular spray routine on the fence, although not as bad
and didn't spray the house afterwards! AND I even have a new piece of furniture (new things are a major trigger for him) and not a single spray

Oh.... Would be Sooooo nice if we were past the trouble waters (no pun intended
)
I will not change the plan now.... I will definitely continue with the calming collar, the feliway, and the rescue remedy. I have to believe that combo works. And thank goodness for nok out and a great uv light
Have you been leaving his spray on the fence? 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been leaving his spray on the fence? 
yes.... I figured he would spray it again anyways.... I also think he would feel safer to realize this is HIS territory, by noticing his scent is there. My yard is protected and no other cats come in. My other cats don't spray either....
He has stopped spraying the house structure - garage, patio, etc - so that is an improvement, I think.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also think he would feel safer to realize this is HIS territory, by noticing his scent is there
I think this is good thinking.  (Not that I'm any expert....but I'm pretty sure Jackson Galaxy would approve too.) 

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
yes.... I figured he would spray it again anyways.... I also think he would feel safer to realize this is HIS territory, by noticing his scent is there. My yard is protected and no other cats come in. My other cats don't spray either....
He has stopped spraying the house structure - garage, patio, etc - so that is an improvement, I think.
He probably will keep "refreshing" his scent like a dog; at least that's what Jamie does. He has his favorite places to spray in the yard, all of them around the perimeter, and seems to alternate, spraying the same places about every three days. He gives all his spots a good sniff before deciding where to spray that day.

Last edited: