Kitten with sores where swelling is going down *pictures included*

simka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She has already been on a/d for the last month
, so when she stops eating I go back to syringe feeding her. There was a point when she was so weak she could not hold even her head up and she had dropped from 7oz to 3.5 in 2 days time.
I went from feeding her every 3-4 hours to every 1-2 hours and she pulled through.
Every time she has stopped eating, I don't even wait I just start syringe feeding her until she gets better. Every time she sees the vet, which tends to be every few days she gets sub-q. Your right though the sub-q really helps perk her up. Every time she has had it when she was more sick she was much perkier afterwards. In all honesty as bad as I feel when she has to be medicated or treated and she hates it, if it makes her better in the end it is all worth it.

Thanks I hope she continues to feel better.
I know how desperately sick she has been because I've been reading this thread from the start, but when you put it on those terms "7oz down to 3.5oz in 2 days" it almost makes your heart stop in shock at how close she has come to losing the fight.  Perhaps you will want to change her name to something more warrior-like, although she has become "your Delilah" so I doubt you will want to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how desperately sick she has been because I've been reading this thread from the start, but when you put it on those terms "7oz down to 3.5oz in 2 days" it almost makes your heart stop in shock at how close she has come to losing the fight.  Perhaps you will want to change her name to something more warrior-like, although she has become "your Delilah" so I doubt you will want to.
This thread started 2ish weeks after she first got sick, she was a doing better by the time I made this. I think I posted a link in my first post to the other thread, that one I started when I first became worried about her sisters. Sadly it is just her and her sister Penelope who have survived.

Just thinking about that day at the vet when she weighed her, and we saw that she had lost so much. I know my heart skipped a beat. I had to work that night too and she stayed with a friend while I worked so she could continue to get continuous care. I actually said my good bye just in case she was not in that great of shape, and the next morning when she was doing worse I said my good bye again before work honestly thinking i was going to get a call telling me she didn't make it. She couldn't even hold her head up at that point. I cried the entire way to work that day. That was an awful weekend for me. She amazingly started improving though, and shocked us all. I am extremely glad I did not give up on her. Everyone who saw her in that shape are amazed she is alive and starting to do well.

She has become my little Delilah, but I always refer to her as my little miracle kitten.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just thinking about that day at the vet when she weighed her, and we saw that she had lost so much. I know my heart skipped a beat. I had to work that night too and she stayed with a friend while I worked so she could continue to get continuous care. I actually said my good bye just in case she was not in that great of shape, and the next morning when she was doing worse I said my good bye again before work honestly thinking i was going to get a call telling me she didn't make it. She couldn't even hold her head up at that point. I cried the entire way to work that day. That was an awful weekend for me. She amazingly started improving though, and shocked us all. I am extremely glad I did not give up on her. Everyone who saw her in that shape are amazed she is alive and starting to do well.

She has become my little Delilah, but I always refer to her as my little miracle kitten.
Your little miracle kitten :rub: is really only here because of your determination and dedication to save her and keep going. Honestly, hun, I think you are the miracle. :hugs: :heart3: I am just thrilled that Delilah is fighting!!!! She is fighting because she has someone fighting along with her through this whole awful ordeal. My gosh..... she is one tough little baby. :soldier: :Tilt Heart: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your little miracle kitten
is really only here because of your determination and dedication to save her and keep going. Honestly, hun, I think you are the miracle.
I am just thrilled that Delilah is fighting!!!! She is fighting because she has someone fighting along with her through this whole awful ordeal. My gosh..... she is one tough little baby.
It never really occurred to me that I was doing anything more than anyone else would, but I keep hearing that not everyone would have fought so hard for her. I have lost many hours of sleep making sure she was eating around the clock, and getting the best food and nutrients I could give her. But I didn't think anything about it, if she needed it then I would do it. Even my vet has been amazed how much time and care I have put into her. She was shocked when she asked me how often she was eating and I told her how I went from every 3-4 hours to every 1-2 hours after she lost so much weight, and that she was going to a friends when I am at work to keep getting that. I guess it was just natural to me to do anything I could for her. I do think she would not be here is she did not have the will to be here. She amazes me with how much of a little fighter she is. It makes my heart happy to look at her today and see how amazing she looks compared to what she looked like just weeks ago as the almost lifeless kitten who was pretty much at deaths door.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your little miracle kitten :rub: is really only here because of your determination and dedication to save her and keep going. Honestly, hun, I think you are the miracle. :hugs: :heart3: I am just thrilled that Delilah is fighting!!!! She is fighting because she has someone fighting along with her through this whole awful ordeal. My gosh..... she is one tough little baby. :soldier: :Tilt Heart: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

It never really occurred to me that I was doing anything more than anyone else would, but I keep hearing that not everyone would have fought so hard for her. I have lost many hours of sleep making sure she was eating around the clock, and getting the best food and nutrients I could give her. But I didn't think anything about it, if she needed it then I would do it. Even my vet has been amazed how much time and care I have put into her. She was shocked when she asked me how often she was eating and I told her how I went from every 3-4 hours to every 1-2 hours after she lost so much weight, and that she was going to a friends when I am at work to keep getting that. I guess it was just natural to me to do anything I could for her. I do think she would not be here is she did not have the will to be here. She amazes me with how much of a little fighter she is. It makes my heart happy to look at her today and see how amazing she looks compared to what she looked like just weeks ago as the almost lifeless kitten who was pretty much at deaths door.
You've given her so many reasons to fight! :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've given her so many reasons to fight!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I think it was fate, that she was just meant to be with me all along. When I pulled her mom and litter from the shelter I was not even going there for them, I was pulling 2 other pregnant cats. I actually didn't even know they were there but I was asked if i could take them because they all were going to be pts that day if I didn't take them because their mom had not been eating for a few days.  How could I have said no and been their death sentence.

Here is a new picture of her nose, its the best I could get. I am curious to see if it will always be missing that little bit and if it will heal back black like it was? It is still a tiny opening but her breathing is much more normal now than it was.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are few people that will go to the lengths you have for Delilah :hugs: :heart3: You are a special person for saving Delilah and family from death row!!!!!! :nod: I am SOOOOOOOOO glad to see that picture!!! OH I think her nose is looking better and better :wow: :woohoo: I am not sure it will ever be black again - but it WILL be the cutest, most special nose on the planet :D :clap::clap::clap: More of these for you to get some sleep :sleep: and for her to continue on this positive path :bigthumb: ! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are few people that will go to the lengths you have for Delilah :hugs: :heart3: You are a special person for saving Delilah and family from death row!!!!!! :nod: I am SOOOOOOOOO glad to see that picture!!! OH I think her nose is looking better and better :wow: :woohoo: I am not sure it will ever be black again - but it WILL be the cutest, most special nose on the planet :D :clap::clap::clap: More of these for you to get some sleep :sleep: and for her to continue on this positive path :bigthumb: ! :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
:yeah: And it must have been meant to be!!!!!!! :hugs: :clap:

WOW she looks SO much better! I don't know if that part of her nose will go black again. Lazlo got a really bad scratch on his nose - and that part is not as black as it was. But Lauren's right - it will be the cutest, most special nose on the planet. :lol3:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are few people that will go to the lengths you have for Delilah
You are a special person for saving Delilah and family from death row!!!!!!
I am SOOOOOOOOO glad to see that picture!!! OH I think her nose is looking better and better
I am not sure it will ever be black again - but it WILL be the cutest, most special nose on the planet
More of these for you to get some sleep
and for her to continue on this positive path
!
And it must have been meant to be!!!!!!!

WOW she looks SO much better! I don't know if that part of her nose will go black again. Lazlo got a really bad scratch on his nose - and that part is not as black as it was. But Lauren's right - it will be the cutest, most special nose on the planet.
She already has the cutest, most special nose on the planet!
I love her with a whole nose just as much as with half a nose.

I have been getting more sleep now that Delilah seems to be on the mend. I just changed her food from Innova (with a/d mixed in) to Wellness (still with a/d) and you would think she had never ate before. She was chowing down more than I have seen her before.
When I got her plate out to feed her the next time she was purring and batting at my feet ready. This girl really likes this food.

She is starting to feel better too. She is playing and perky more and more every day. We have an appointment at the vet on Wednesday just to have her checked again and make sure everything is good. She is also turning into a big snuggler with quite the purr.

Here is a new picture of her last night, showing off the tiny collar I made her so she can fit in with all the other kitties. I just took an old beat up breakaway collar and cut off the pieces and sewed new fabric onto them. It is made from thin cotton so it moves much easier and is lighter than nylon. She is an indoor only kitty but all mine wear collars with tags just in case they ever get out. She is still way to tiny for a tag, I think it would be like putting a giant weight around her neck.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!! :thud: I already have fallen for Delilah but that photo seals the deal. :lol3: :heart3: She is honestly the most precious baby I have ever laid eyes on. :thud: How very, very sweet and loving of you to make her that collar. One she can wear with pride. AND to think - :think: she would not be here if not for you. SO very heartwarming. My heart has completely melted :heart2: Please give her a kiss :kiss: for me tonight. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!!
I already have fallen for Delilah but that photo seals the deal.
She is honestly the most precious baby I have ever laid eyes on.
How very, very sweet and loving of you to make her that collar. One she can wear with pride. AND to think -
she would not be here if not for you. SO very heartwarming. My heart has completely melted
Please give her a kiss
for me tonight.
Of course Ill give her a kiss for you, I love showering her with kisses! I shared this in the other thread, but I'll put it her too. I was attempting to get her hopping run she does but it wasn't working

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you, please DO give that little one loads of kisses..... :kiss: :rub: :heart3:

That video just brought tears to my eyes and at the same time I was laughing :lol3:!!!!!!!!!! OH thank you for sharing. It was wonderful to see Delilah in action like that. AW she really is a delicate, precious little doll. She has stolen my heart. :heart3: You seem to have these little darlins' that I just fall in love with. You know how much I adored your little :rbheart: Cloud - bless his little heart :angel:. OH how is Sky doing? Hope very, very well :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really is delicate. I still kinda handle her like she might break, but she feels less like she might now.
She cracks me up when she gets brave enough to start batting at Penelope, and then Penelope body slams her, which makes me cringe, and she changes her mind and will trot back to me, or a hiding spot if it is closer. I think she knows Penelope is very ADD and will be distracted in seconds by a toy or anything really.

I know I loved Cloud too.
I am still sad he passed. Sky is doing well though, she is still distant but getting better. She hides less now and I can walk past her or come up to her without her running, I just better not try to touch her.
I'm sure in time she might come around. I could not even get close to my Lily for at least 6 months and it took a full year to be able to touch her.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... She is so cute in that pink collar
  I really have been glued to this entire thread.  Your determination has been extraordinary!  What a doll baby she is too.  I am sending more vibes hoping they help her along in the right direction

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... She is so cute in that pink collar
  I really have been glued to this entire thread.  Your determination has been extraordinary!  What a doll baby she is too.  I am sending more vibes hoping they help her along in the right direction

Thanks! I think her little collar suits her, she is just too precious. (of course I am a bit biased
) Hopefully last weekend was the last of our setbacks and we can keep moving forward. Fingers crossed that our vet visit on Wednesday goes well.
I'm thinking it will considering this will be the first time we are going in for just a check instead of something being wrong.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She looks so proud in that collar. Such a sweet little girl, but a tougher one you'd be hard pressed to find. Her journey has been amazing, you should be very proud of how she is turning out....you've done something most would never have attempted.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my goodness those latest pictures of Delilah are great!!!

Like the others have said, some would have given up, but you rode the storm with her.

Lots of mega healthy
for Wednesday

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thud: Did you hear my head explode from the cuteness? Because it DID when I saw that picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!!!!!!! :thud: I already have fallen for Delilah but that photo seals the deal. :lol3: :heart3: She is honestly the most precious baby I have ever laid eyes on. :thud: How very, very sweet and loving of you to make her that collar. One she can wear with pride. AND to think - :think: she would not be here if not for you. SO very heartwarming. My heart has completely melted :heart2: Please give her a kiss :kiss: for me tonight. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

She looks so proud in that collar. Such a sweet little girl, but a tougher one you'd be hard pressed to find. Her journey has been amazing, you should be very proud of how she is turning out....you've done something most would never have attempted.
HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BEST thing of all is that it's just a DELIGHT to open this thread now - it's all good news and just getting better and better! I think the vet is going to FAINT! :lol3: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I, too, have been reading this thread, although seldom, if ever, posting anything.  But I just have to say that she is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen
.  And those eyes.  Have they changed to their permanent color, or what?  I've never seen eyes that color, or maybe it was just the camera, but they are gorgeous.  She is definitely one special little girl.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am very proud of how she is turning out. Seeing her doing so well now makes everything I have done for her so worth it.
Oh my goodness those latest pictures of Delilah are great!!!

Like the others have said, some would have given up, but you rode the storm with her.

Lots of mega healthy
for Wednesday
Thanks, I hope the storm is over for good this time. She is really doing better than she ever has. Thanks for the vibes, I know Delilah appreciates them!
Did you hear my head explode from the cuteness? Because it DID when I saw that picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The BEST thing of all is that it's just a DELIGHT to open this thread now - it's all good news and just getting better and better! I think the vet is going to FAINT!
Lol, I know she is just gets cuter and cuter everyday, just when I think she couldn't possibly get any cuter she does. I really wish I could capture the bunny hop run she does when she gets really excited. Your head would surely explode if you could see that.

I think you are right that the vet is going to faint, especially if she keeps up the great progress she is making now. If she keeps eating the way she is now, I think by Wednesday I might have a rollie pollie of a kitten to bring in.... she is already getting a little belly on her now. The vet really loves Delilah too, I'm sure she will be just as happy to see how well she is doing now.
I, too, have been reading this thread, although seldom, if ever, posting anything.  But I just have to say that she is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen
.  And those eyes.  Have they changed to their permanent color, or what?  I've never seen eyes that color, or maybe it was just the camera, but they are gorgeous.  She is definitely one special little girl.
Thanks! Yes I think her eyes have changed to their permenant color. They are a really pretty green.