Kitten who can't move

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of hydrotherapy. And it probably could be easily done in a bathtub. You could always hold the kitten up until you find a sling. And nice warm water plus the natural resistance of the water will probably feel really good on those underused muscles. If he doesn't like water, well, that's incentive to move, isn't it!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is something that could be tried next week. Until then, we can come up with ideas to make things easier. 

We would not want to frighten the little guy any more .......

He has been through enough...We do not want a set back....

I would think just the gentile massaging and PT for now...a couple, three times a day...

Don't forget, he is feral and has to get accustomed to being handled and not frightened by it...allowing his belly to be rubbed without objection is a big step towards that...He needs to learn trust...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are we that tomorrow is Friday? My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm sure today is Wednesday. The garbage trucks came down the street this morning, so it HAS to be Wednesday.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Funny, I was thinking today is Thursday as well! 

The water will be different for sure, of course he's never experienced anything like that, but with calm voice, slow movements and gentle persuasion he should be okay, but I think it's getting to be time to get those leg muscles worked, or rehab could be seriously longer then necessary.

It's a good way to see how his brain tells his body to move too. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
And here I am thinking all day that it feels like Monday!

Reeves looks like he's doing so well, and so happy! He's gonna show those vets, he really will.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, it is something that could be tried next week. Until then, we can come up with ideas to make things easier. 

We would not want to frighten the little guy any more .......

He has been through enough...We do not want a set back....

I would think just the gentile massaging and PT for now...a couple, three times a day...

Don't forget, he is feral and has to get accustomed to being handled and not frightened by it...allowing his belly to be rubbed without objection is a big step towards that...He needs to learn trust...
That would be the concern with trying hydrotherapy. Feral cat , mostly immobile and being put in what he is going to see as a life threatening situation. I might try a tub of warm water in the sink. Rubber matt or something he can get traction on. The warm water would no doubt be good for him. You can but try. I would plan his next feeding for after any PT . Animals have a way of associating you with the last thing that happened to them.

I guess we all want to get our hands on this baby and help.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to wait on the hydrotherapy until his wounds are completely healed. It would not be good to introduce germs into a deep puncture wound. Just my two cents. You're getting an awful lot of advice.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for joining in so late in the thread. My 19 year old male cat, Pete, fell off of the counter and caught his left rear leg in a partially open drawer. I found him hanging upside down and thought that his leg was torn out of his hip socket. We took Pete to the vet and the vet took some XRaYS because Pete couldn't move the leg at all...it just dragged along behind him. The vet gave him steroids after determining that we weren't considering putting Pete to sleep and sent him home. We picked Pete up so he could go to the bathroom and many of the things you have been doing....after a few months Pete was beginning to use his legs again! Pete ended up recovering from the injury, only to break his leg in another fall...Pete the wonder cat recovered from that as well and lived to be 23 before walking across the Rainbow bridge.

Keep up the good fight....if there is ANY movement that Reeves makes, then there is indeed hope. It might take a year, or it might not improve any further, but your efforts are commended!

Jim 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been following this story as well as others and I'm glad to see your little bundle doing well.  Keep working his limbs gently and keep him engaged with your voice while awake.  It worked for me and became a monumental bonding moment for us.

When I found my Simon, he was about 2 weeks old, covered in hundreds of fleas and his back legs didn't move.  I was told to get tweezers and start picking off the fleas, after 2 days of non stop flea picking he finally woke up, I wasn't sure if he would, but he did and we gave him special formula by bottle, at that point I started doing massage therapy on his hind legs which seemed paralyzed, I worked his front also as well as massaging his spine and neck

While he was awake I kept him engaged with his therapy with my voice talking to him the whole time, saying, neck, tail, head, legs feet, etc. like a baby.  when I would stretch his legs I would gently say, stretttttttcccccchhhh. LOL  On the 4th day, I rested him on a blanket on the floor and when I turned around he was making his way to a flower pot I had on the floor, with his back leg dragging he managed to climb into the pot and pooped, LOL. I knew then we were in good shape.

13 years later if he's on the floor and I say stretch, he stretches his entire body. LOL  if I say tail, he turns and gives me his tail, etc.  so funny.  who said cat's don't listen or remember...

Reeves with lots of care and love will live a long life.  Granted his wounds are much different than my experience and your road may be long, but I have hope.  Best to you.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to wait on the hydrotherapy until his wounds are completely healed. It would not be good to introduce germs into a deep puncture wound. Just my two cents. You're getting an awful lot of advice.
I agree that I'd worry about germs as well.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are we that tomorrow is Friday? My memory isn't what it used to be, but I'm sure today is Wednesday. The garbage trucks came down the street this morning, so it HAS to be Wednesday.
Oh, Oh...my mind is lost again....If anyone finds a mind running around, looking lost--please catch it! It is mine!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will wait on hydrotherapy but I'm doing stretches and at home pt. He's been more hungry and alert, I have another vet appointment for him tomorrow and they want us to decide but I'm going to wait and give him more time. I made him a sling so he can move around with me, he seems to like it so he can look around and see what's going on! I feel like he's definitely coming along. Thank you all so much for the advice and I will keep everyone updated on his progress!

Last edited by a moderator:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
They want you to decide. Is that the vet. What an odd  mindset. Again I cannot stress the benefits of close physical contact in healing especially with baby animals. The sling to keep him close is brilliant. And your walking motion is likely causing him to make small balance adjustments. More PT

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
They want you to decide. Is that the vet. What an odd  mindset.
Yeah my mind was pretty blown seeing that too. Never had any vet be so pushy about making a decision before. Are they going on a month-long vacation or something?

Either way, so glad you are not giving up on him. He was so lucky to find you.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Love the sling! He looks like your little sidekick :)

Strange about the vet, tell them flat out you will let them know but at this point he is improving and want to give it some time.

Jeez!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good idea the sling was! He will be so much more comfortable close to you like that and it will stimulate his mind, too. Tell that vet your decision is to take care of him because he's improving.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I will wait on hydrotherapy but I'm doing stretches and at home pt. He's been more hungry and alert, I have another vet appointment for him tomorrow and they want us to decide but I'm going to wait and give him more time. I made him a sling so he can move around with me, he seems to like it so he can look around and see what's going on! I feel like he's definitely coming along. Thank you all so much for the advice and I will keep everyone updated on his progress!
The sling is perfect! So glad you are doing the pt with him and soon the hydrotherapy will really be so good for him!
I think sometimes when the vets are working with rescue situations they assume that we aren't wanting to spend the $ and are quick to say pts... Fortunately for the animals that get rescued by people like you and members of this community, we don't always listen. :)
I'm so glad that you have Reeves in your care; I'm optimistic about his recovery. :hugs: to you both!