Kitten who can't move

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Reeves looks so good! Glad to hear about his eating and grooming; that's a huge thing! :clap:
His posture in this picture looks like a huge improvement from the first photo, he is holding himself up and looks quite content! He loves you and knows you are helping him! :hugs: to you both :)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOOK AT THAT, he is propping himself up! I know you didn't put him in that position, he did that all on his own. Jennyrosalie, you are a gem! He is so much getting stronger!!

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow this thread is really fascinating - poor little guy!  It honestly probably would have never occurred to me that the kitten was in a state of shock and that's why he couldn't move.  Likely, I would have just taken the vet's advice to euthanize - which would have been a huge mistake for this little guy!   It's wonderful that you didn't give up hope with him, and look how he is improving - what a fantastic story, great job!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
So Awesome to see this... This little one is getting stronger each day.. and more domesticated...

So proud of YOU, Jennyrosalie for all you are doing.....

(((hugs))))

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOOK AT THAT, he is propping himself up! I know you didn't put him in that position, he did that all on his own. Jennyrosalie, you are a gem! He is so much getting stronger!!
He has started to move himself around much more! He seems to get frustrated at not being able to walk today. He has been fussy but he ate well and I got him a new bed and more blankets!

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He poops on his own but I still have to express his bladder at this point.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
interesting...he can poop but not pee....

Thoughts anyone?

Glad to hear that he is fussing today and frustrated about not being able to get around.. I think that if I saw him on his back, as he was in that picture, I would automatically go over to him and try to gently push his legs back; in order to see if there was any resistance..it may get those neural pathways to the muscles going..

That tooth mark is horrible! poor, poor baby.....

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thoughts anyone?

Glad to hear that he is fussing today and frustrated about not being able to get around.. I think that if I saw him on his back, as he was in that picture, I would automatically go over to him and try to gently push his legs back; in order to see if there was any resistance..it may get those neural pathways to the muscles going..

I do this a lot! I constantly move him and push and pull his feet out and I'm getting resistance and stretching! He stretches on his own too without me touching him and will pull his feet back if I mess with them!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh!! such wonderful news....and I have decided something.. You need to either become a Vet or some one in medicine....you are awesome..

Resistance is awesome.. I am thinking he may just be depending on you to do things for him...just a bit....it is so easy to spoil cats....

I am wondering if this could apply to his peeing also...

How many times do you express his bladder. He may just be getting used to you doing it. Have you tried to put him, sitting, in a tiny litter box?  Or waiting a bit and see if he has an 'urge' to pee...

I wonder if it is time for the hydrotherapy...since there is resistance and stretching, seems as if the mechanisms are firing correctly...Time to strengthen those muscles and nerves...

Advisors, please chime in...these are just my own thoughts...not based on anything..except my own knowledge and experience with PT myself and my spoiled cat...and me working in the medical field my entire...

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This IS wonderful news. Those nerves are healing but not completely yet. My concern about hydrotherapy still is about those wounds healing. Have the punctures healed over yet? Do you see clear, not bloody, wounds? This little guy is going to make it. I just know he will.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One more thing. It's ocurred to me that it still may be painful for him to move. But it's getting better bit by bit.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

Thoughts anyone?

Healing is seldom even across the board. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
This is such an amazing thread! You're doing a great job with him @jennyrosalie

When I was a kid our pet rabbit got shaken by a dog. The vet cleaned up the bite marks on his neck and told us to take him home and leave him somewhere dark and quiet. He warned us rabbits often die of shock, even when their injuries are not so bad. For about three days the rabbit seemed to just lie there motionless, but gradually he started to move around more and lived for a good few years after that.

I hope this kittens problems are shock related and not going to cause him any permanent trouble.

He's a sweet little guy, you can tell he's a fighter.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ohhhh!! such wonderful news....and I have decided something.. You need to either become a Vet or some one in medicine....you are awesome..

Resistance is awesome.. I am thinking he may just be depending on you to do things for him...just a bit....it is so easy to spoil cats....

I am wondering if this could apply to his peeing also...

How many times do you express his bladder. He may just be getting used to you doing it. Have you tried to put him, sitting, in a tiny litter box?  Or waiting a bit and see if he has an 'urge' to pee...

I wonder if it is time for the hydrotherapy...since there is resistance and stretching, seems as if the mechanisms are firing correctly...Time to strengthen those muscles and nerves...

Advisors, please chime in...these are just my own thoughts...not based on anything..except my own knowledge and experience with PT myself and my spoiled cat...and me working in the medical field my entire...
As soon as his wounds have healed over enough that water won't cause a problem the hydrotherapy should start. The least amt of muscle wasted the sooner he will be able to get around.

Otherwise his nerves might heal yet it will appear as if they aren't due to muscle waste in his unused legs.

Sounds good though!