Kitten who can't move

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the advise the vet said to give his wounds a little more time then start the therapy. I was so proud he stretched and moved skin much today and enjoyed the kitten sling while I did class work. I wanted to ask if you guys think it's okay to let my cat Abby clean him. She's gentle and he seems to like it, it comforts him and he will purr and sleep when she does it. She was also a rough case she was found in an oil container in an auto shop. When they called me she was absolutely pitiful and her white calico spots were black and gray. After 5 dawn baths we had to shave her down. Now she's the most gentle and mothering soul. I just hope it's okay to let her do that.

Last edited:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with all of the above! Abby sounds like a wonderful partner to help you with Reeves! [emoji]128062[/emoji]
She's beautiful and so lucky you were there to help her!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes!! Definitely let her groom him. It will be really good bonding for them. She will be a positive influence for him!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby will be great with Reeves. The grooming will be a bonding experience. Grooming will also be similar to a massage. It could help stimulate nerves as they regenerate...some do..

Just watch things. I am concerned about the puncture wounds..but by all means, let Abby groom Reeves. He needs to have so of his own people contact...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, Abby is soooo pretty! I love her eyes! We had a cat brought to us that someone had tried to drown in oil :( so I can understand how hard it is to get it off. And YAY for her playing mama to this little boy :)

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abby and reeves get along great I have noticed that reeves is almost fighting me now when I try to express his bladder. His appetite is up and he's eating a lot which is wonderful. He still stretches his legs a lot and he tried to move around yesterday but was upset and frustrated when he couldnt. He seems to get really mad when I express his bladder now, he used to just lay limply and now he turns around and tries to get away or bite me. When I was washing him off today he was stimulated by it apparently and he began peeing on his own. His foot got wet too and he got made and shook it out.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby and reeves get along great I have noticed that reeves is almost fighting me now when I try to express his bladder. His appetite is up and he's eating a lot which is wonderful. He still stretches his legs a lot and he tried to move around yesterday but was upset and frustrated when he couldnt. He seems to get really mad when I express his bladder now, he used to just lay limply and now he turns around and tries to get away or bite me. When I was washing him off today he was stimulated by it apparently and he began peeing on his own. His foot got wet too and he got made and shook it out.
Yay! Yes Reeves, you FIGHT as much as and as hard as possible! Show those vets how much fight you have in you!

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but maybe you could try waiting a bit longer to express his bladder. Give him a chance to try going by himself. Not a lot longer, but a bit. He probably wants to do it himself.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Momma cats stimulate their kittens to pee and poop by licking them. Since he peed on his own when you wiped him, don't express him anymore and try to stimulate by wiping him with a wet cloth.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
that all sounds awesome on improvement...fiesty is good. It means he is feeling better..

he shook his foot out!!!   AWESOME   

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert, but maybe you could try waiting a bit longer to express his bladder. Give him a chance to try going by himself. Not a lot longer, but a bit. He probably wants to do it himself.
Good thought.. I was thinking that this morning.. That may be the oomph he needs to try to get to a litter box... 

Do you have a small container...like a disposable rubbermaid one..kind of like the one for food..you could use that as a small, low litter box...a big rectangular container...that would be easier to get in and out of...

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mother cats often stimulate their kittens by cleaning their bum and associated areas, so the fact that the water caused him to pee on his own is great! It also shows that his bladder is still working properly. It sounds like the problem might have been either shock from the trauma, swelling and pressing on nerves (from swelling and trauma), or a combo of both. I feel in my heart that your kitty will eventually make a full or nearly full recovery, based on his progress in the last couple of days. Expressing the bladder might be uncomfortable, now that sensation is returning...hopefully he will learn to do it himself soon. He is a fighter and you have done great things for him. Keep up the great job!!

Jim 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
kInd of like he is a baby kitten, and has to start all over again from scratch...

Good that Abby is around him.. that is a good association with a mama cat..

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

jennyrosalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just knew it, he really needed time and babying which you have done a fabulous job of!!
Happy news and continued progress.
BTW moving his tail is BIG
I know! It is a huge! I cried when I saw it! I have a video of him on my Facebook I wish I could upload it!