Keeping a kitten alive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha yes i build it, and it is carpet covered. Ill start another thread with more pictures and what not.

As far as the momma, she will be spayed. But im pretty sure shell go back outside. Although shes doing fine inside she really does love the outside.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could probably market those castles!
ive actually had a couple people ask me to build them one. But I haven't took the plunge yet, this cost me 150 to make and i got the carpet half-off. If I hadn't it would have been 180. plus my 50 hours to build it, I have to charge a good bit to really make it worth wild.

Anyways heres the link to the thread I just created with more pictures

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/319270/my-cat-castle  

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand what you are saying, unless you are going to make these castles full time, it would not really be worth it.  It is very impressive though, and I know you must be very proud, as you should be!!  Lucky cats and quite impressive!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ive actually had a couple people ask me to build them one. But I haven't took the plunge yet, this cost me 150 to make and i got the carpet half-off. If I hadn't it would have been 180. plus my 50 hours to build it, I have to charge a good bit to really make it worth wild.

Anyways heres the link to the thread I just created with more pictures

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/319270/my-cat-castle  
Good Lord!   I so want one of those!  And considering that a decent cat tree can cost $200 and up, you'd have no problem charging enough to make it pay. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Petsmart and Petco charge way too much for what little you get. They are no where near as big as the one you made.  Wonder what it truly costs to make those commercial ones.  They probably use cheap materials and make a fortune.  

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sooo back to jasper ;-)
He'll be 3 weeks old this saturday (in 3 days), when can other people start handling him? So far its just been me and occasionally my mother as we are the two main people jaspers momma knows well and trusts.

Oh and i started a new technique with bottle feeding and so far jasper takes the bottle everytime the first time! So far ive been feeding 15ml every 2 hours for 12hours 9am-9pm. Should i stick to that or can I switch to 30ml every 4 hours? Thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if he'll take that much every 4 hours, but it's a big jump. I would rather you take him to 23.5 mLs every 3 hours for a few days first, to see how he does. It's a tweener. He's probably not quite ready for 4 hours yet.

The rule of thumb is one hour for each week of age, so at 3 weeks his feedings should be 3 hours apart. So I would go with that until he's 4 weeks old. I know it's tiring, but you are almost there! Try to hang in for another week or so. I hate to see the little guy fall behind now that he's caught up and doing so well.

At 4 full weeks you can move him up, and even try mush, but he still might need until 5-6 weeks on weaning. He's still a baby.

He can be handled by others any time now, but he may or may not take his bottle from anybody but you or your mom. They get used to smells. He knows you guys!

He's probably not getting anything from mom but pacifying at this point, so his bottles are still very important. I'd just keep with the program for now, and switch him at 3 weeks, then 4 weeks. By then, his amount will increase too as he grows.

By the way, Gerber turkey baby food is a great way to begin to wean at his 5th week. Put it on your finger and see if he goes for it. When he does start to wean, you'll offer solids first, then the bottle. He'll want his bottle for a few more weeks still.

You need to be patient!

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well you just answered a whole bunch of questions at once! I just came back to aske about solid food. But its actually not that bad every two hours as im laid off at the presnt time. But i was just curious. Thanks!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How often are you feeding him at night?
As of now i haven't been feeding him through the night. He was getting from his mom as there would be times his stomach was more plumb thanbit was the night before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Then carry on as I've described! Let me know if anything changes. As he grows he does need more formula. It's 8 mLs per ounce of weight divided by number of feedings - in your case by 8 since he needs to eat every 3 hours soon.

Sorry about your layoff. Good timing for Jasper though. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And when he does begin to show interest in the Gerber in 2 weeks from now, let me know, and I'll offer more feeding tips and info. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sure! And about those 12 hours when Jasper is laid off from eating. I know he's had mama, but we don't recommend 12 hours with no food for kittens. It's hard on them. Their little tummies need consistency. Can you back that down to 8-9 hours? He's missing out on a feeding that his little body needs. Twelve hours is a long time for a little kitten.

If you could do a midnight feeding, then start again at 8-9, that would be optimal. Once he weans, you'll be leaving food down for him to eat through the night. He can't feed himself right now, and I'm pretty sure mom's about dry.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i can do that!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise