Keeping a kitten alive

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My mom has a outside cat who is 13 years old..she got pregnant a few months ago and gave birth sat night (two days ago) to one kitten.
I didnt even know cats at that age could get pregnant. But thats besides the point.
So she had kittens about 3 years ago but was unable to feed them and they passed before we knew what happened.

So I dont want that to happen again, and it just so happens i was in the market for another cat.

So what course of actions should i take? I have gotten a kitten milk supplement and a baby nursing bottle. Ive been feeding the mother cat extra food.

The kitten seems to be strong as of now and fiesty. Whenever i check in the mother the kitten is between her legs (cat tell if its nursing or not).

Should i start supplementing the kittens diet with the replacement milk now? Or wait? What signs should i look for that the kitten isnt eating enough? When can i touch the kitten (not to hold, but to weigh) the morher knows me very well and i am one of the only people she wont growl at when i check out the kitten.

Any other info would be great! Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you take both mom and the kitten inside? They both 100% need to stay in. I think that having a safe place to nest will greatly cut down on stress which could cause mom to reject the baby. Make sure she has as much kitten wet and dry food as she can eat. She needs lots of food for milk production.

You can weigh the baby every day to make sure it's gaining enough. It needs to gain 6-10 grams per day. If it isn't managing that much it needs to be supplemented. You should be able to handle the kitten enough to do this.

Is mom going back outside after the kitten is weaned? If so, she desperately needs to be spayed. I hope you will consider giving her a life inside though, hopefully with her kitten. Thank you for caring!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My mom has a outside cat who is 13 years old..she got pregnant a few months ago and gave birth sat night (two days ago) to one kitten.
I didnt even know cats at that age could get pregnant. But thats besides the point.
    Probably good to know that female cats can just keep on going.. there's no such thing as cat menopause, and older cats are much more susceptible to infection.  

Best to keep a very close eye on her as well, for her sake and the kitten's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you take both mom and the kitten inside? They both 100% need to stay in. I think that having a safe place to nest will greatly cut down on stress which could cause mom to reject the baby. Make sure she has as much kitten wet and dry food as she can eat. She needs lots of food for milk production.

You can weigh the baby every day to make sure it's gaining enough. It needs to gain 6-10 grams per day. If it isn't managing that much it needs to be supplemented. You should be able to handle the kitten enough to do this.

Is mom going back outside after the kitten is weaned? If so, she desperately needs to be spayed. I hope you will consider giving her a life inside though, hopefully with her kitten. Thank you for caring!
She used to be any inside cat. But she doesn't like it. When we bring her in, she stops eating, isnt as friendly and just overall seems to be in discontent. We found this out over winter a few years ago when we brought her in due to cold weather. I can try again but due to the aforementioned reactions im afraid shell get too stressed to feed the baby

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She absolutely needs to be 100% inside with the baby. That's the only way you can make sure the baby is safe and thriving. In addition, mom can't go outside until she is spayed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She used to be any inside cat. But she doesn't like it. When we bring her in, she stops eating, isnt as friendly and just overall seems to be in discontent. We found this out over winter a few years ago when we brought her in due to cold weather. I can try again but due to the aforementioned reactions im afraid shell get too stressed to feed the baby

OK, but what is the situation NOW, does she has a corner where she IS safe and feels safe?   If so, you can probably continue, even if its not optimal.  If you think its better for her well feelings and confidence.

Although moms with kittens accepts surprisingly easily to be confined inside.  Even semiferales.  They KNOW the outside may be dangerous.

If you see or even suspect the kittens doenst gets enough, do supplement. Bottle - or syringe.

But if she gets enough from momma its best.  Also, there ARE some risks with supplementing.  Esp unskilled tries with syringe contains quite  some risks. So be sure you know how to do it.

Obviously, before you had got a count by weighting, you cant know.  So start weighting immediately, and make a first reading already in 12 hours.

But if you observing think everything hints its eating, its thriwing and  blossoming - good.   :)

Exactly WHAT brand its you got of the kitten replacement milk?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The supplement is called PetAg milk replacer. And currently both the cats are in a cat house on my mothers deck

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So whe was born saturday night. Todays Tuesday, so 3 days and she weighs 91grams

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the deck enclosed in any way? I am concerned about a few things -
1. Mom may decide to move the kitten. This happens often, and then you won't be able to monitor.
2. It may be too cold or too hot outside.
3. Mom can go into heat and get pregnant again any day now, which could cause her to leave her baby. It's also terrible for her health.

Chances are she would adjust to being inside. That is a great kmr. Is it the powdered kind?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The deck is not enclosed, just steps to come up to it. I never thought about her going into heat again this soon after birth :-/ and yes it us the powdered kind.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also the kitten weighs 91 grams and was born 3 days ago

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
A 91 gram 3 day old kitten is definitely in need of supplementing! Kittens are born weighing 80-100+ grams. So, consider even if the kitten were 80 grams at birth and gaining the low 6 grams per day, it should be at 97 grams today.

Can you tell if the mom has milk in?

Also, if she does have a decent milk supply, she will need to be monitored very closely as moms with only one of two babies to nurse are at higher risk of developing mastitis (infection in the mammary gland) which can lead to infected milk. Monitor for sores on near the nipples, swelling, etc...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The deck is not enclosed, just steps to come up to it. I never thought about her going into heat again this soon after birth :-/ and yes it us the powdered kind.

Yes, exactly. Kitten is not safe from mom running off or predators. I would also sorry about another pregnancy killing her.

She really will adjust to inside, and it sounds like she feels quite safe around you. A nest in your room would be ideal.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, even if the kitten hopefully is gaining, its apparently it was born smallish -  IF its gaining.  If its not gaining, its Red Alert already now.

Re the livnig outside.  I agree, cats arent  protected by  giving milk, so she may come into heat anew already one week after the delivery.

Also, as its not enclosed, any predator may come in.  Its no big deal for a healthy, vigilant cat, whom can almost always run off or climb up.   But the kitten will be defenceless. Unless momma in blind fury chases of the predator...

So if you have ANY choice, having them inside is the best.  Prepare the room inside, litter, food, scratching post, laying places,  a little hidey, perhaps something which smells of her, perhaps the bedding she is using recently, and move them.  Either take her, or take the kitten in a basket and let mom follow after... She will almost surely follow, esp as she knows you are her friend.

@Alexp08

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will definitely try to move her inside. Im actually out getting the mother more food now as we only have a little bit left. Any good videos on how to bottle feed a baby? And ill start when i get home

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I will definitely try to move her inside. Im actually out getting the mother more food now as we only have a little bit left. Any good videos on how to bottle feed a baby? And ill start when i get home

A problem is, kittens whom have access to mom, are often reluctant to take the bottle.  So its often necessary to forcefeed them with a needleless syringe.  Which is somewhat tricky, and demands correct technique not to be too risky.

tummy down, head up. May be somewhat raised up diagonally.  But the overall position as with mom.   Syringe (or dropper) in the corner of the mouth.  Slowly a drop or two, so you are sure she swallows properly, and first then - next.  It may take both patience and time!   If she is good at swallowing, it will of course go quicker.

burp afterwards.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are fed tummy down and head slightly up. You'll put one drop in his cheek at a time, let him swallow, and continue. I would do 1-2ml every 2 hours for now. Is mom cleaning the baby? Baby and formula must be warm in order to feed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also a method using makeup sponges, that a mother-fed baby may be more likely to accept (and is safer than syringe feeding). You can find videos about it on youtube.

There's about a 75% mortality rate on kittens raised outdoors, due to predators, exposure, and accidents. But you also don't want to take him away from his mother too soon, because as a single kitten he won't learn his cat manners if he isn't with her for at least 8-10 weeks. So if you can't bring them inside, just be prepared that he may not make it :(.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

A problem is, kittens whom have access to mom, are often reluctant to take the bottle.  So its often necessary to forcefeed them with a needleless syringe.  Which is somewhat tricky, and demands correct technique not to be too risky.

tummy down, head up. May be somewhat raised up diagonally.  But the overall position as with mom.   Syringe (or dropper) in the corner of the mouth.  Slowly a drop or two, so you are sure she swallows properly, and first then - next.  It may take both patience and time!   If she is good at swallowing, it will of course go quicker.

burp afterwards.
Uhhhh how to you burb a cat hahahaha?.