Keeping a kitten alive

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That makes him 7.6 ounces at 18 days old. Not too bad. The goal was 8 ounces at 2 weeks, and a pound at 4 weeks. He's not too far off. The midnight feeding should help.

If we round that to 8 ounces x 8 mLs, he needs minimum 64 mLs each 24 hours. How much does he eat at each feeding right now? Of course, more is always better.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hes taking in 14-15ml every two hours as of the last couple days and since i was doing 9-9 thats 6 feedings per day. So 90ml

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's even better that he's eating more. He should continue to gain well then. He's a hungry little guy!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
228 this morning. Not sure ill be able to weigh him for to much longer hes getting frisky and wont stay put on the scale

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not surprised! He's gaining beautifully. Did he like the midnight feeding?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put him in a bowl to weigh him as long as you tare the scale first. At this point you are weighing mostly to find out how much to increase his formula. It's a great problem to have!

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can put him in a bowl to weigh him as long as you tare the scale first. At this point you are weighing mostly to find out how much to oncrease his formula. It's a great problem to have!
The bowls a good idea! And yes its a good peoblem to have, that and his claws are sharp as anything and when he starts sucking on the bottle he does this like stretching motion and always scrathes my hand hahahaha

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can start to clip his little claws if you need! Just a tiny bit off the end.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He's kneading! It's what kittens do to mom's belly to stimulate milk production when nursing. It's an instinct. Many cats continue to do it for life. I call it "making biscuits"!

Bowl on the scale is a good idea. Weigh the bowl first, of course.

Yep, trim the very tip of the claws only.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can put him in a bowl to weigh him as long as you tare the scale first. At this point you are weighing mostly to find out how much to increase his formula. It's a great problem to have!
I found that a tupperware container works better for me than a bowl. The kittens try to climb out less.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeaaahhh im going to skip on the nail trimming, ill let the vets office do that. Its the one part of taking care of my pets km horrible at

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
247 this morning. Is that too much of a jump? 19g per day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's kneading! It's what kittens do to mom's belly to stimulate milk production when nursing. It's an instinct. Many cats continue to do it for life. I call it "making biscuits"!

Bowl on the scale is a good idea. Weigh the bowl first, of course.

Yep, trim the very tip of the claws only.
Oh, that kneading!  There is actually a word for the kneading, nuzzling, and drooling!  It's called "smurgling."  Isn't that just a wonderful word?  It makes me giggle every time I say or type it!  SMURGLE SMURGLE SMURGLE SMURGLE SMURGLE!  I say there are three degrees.  Degree one, kneading.  Degree two, kneading with nuzzling.  Degree three, add drool, sometimes copious drool.  Hekitty is a second degree smurgler.  She may outgrow it...she's only eight years old