Keeping a kitten alive

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, man...I'd so love if you could!  I'd like to see Mama end her days in the comfort of a home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She most likely would, but i can take on another cat. 3 cats and a dog is enough for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is understandable.

My concern, however, is with the age of Jasper's mom. She had him when she was 13, and due to advanced age, lost a litter a few years before. The kittens were probably fine, but she was likely unable to provide milk for them, so they died. She's OLD!

It's incredible that she even birthed Jasper and that he was born normal and he lived. Which he would not have if you had not taken over feeding him, because she's too old to have milk.

Cats should not be in heat and mating at her age. It's too hard on mama.

Since she's not his milk source, she can be spayed anytime now, although he needs to stay with his mama for 12-16 weeks for maximum adjustment.

I recommend that you get mama spayed asap. She deserves to live and retire comfortably now, for the rest of her days. Another heat cycle, another old-age pregnancy, could kill her - literally.

Once she's spayed, and due to her age, she should just be an inside kitty and settle down and relax. Most cats only live to 15-17. She may live longer, but she'll be no trouble at all. She's facing her declining years.

For her to to go back to being an unspayed, outside cat is cruel. She clearly has a strong constitution to have even gotten pregnant these last few years, but it needs to end.

I know that Jasper is the prize, but mom needs dignity and health. And Jasper will need to be neutered at about 4 months of age himself. If he's fixed, he'll be an incredibly loving boy who gives you no trouble.

I took in a stray mama last year, who had 4 babies. I kept mama and all 4 babies - 3 males and 1 female. All are fixed. The boys are so sweet now. No spraying, no yowling to get out for females in heat. And no females in heat. Everyone lives inside.

So, whether you keep mom or not, she needs spaying, and the opportunity to live inside and free from further mating. And if Jasper is bonded to her, keep her.

Whatever you decide, get mama fixed. She deserves to retire in style.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Sarthur2 Sarthur2 nailed it above. This mama gave you an incredible gift and I think we'd all like to see her have the best possible life now too. I think that could mean keeping her as part of your gang.

I was wondering if your mom would help with her care if you took her on.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont disagree, but i live in a pretty small apartment and even though she wont take up much room, my other cats like to play alot so they would just frustrate her. Ive been talking to my mother about getting her spayed. But i simply cant take her in. At one point I was actually thinkibg of finding a good hoke for jasper but since ive been spending so much time bottle feeding him im not sure i can give him up. I haven't created that bond with the momma, but i know my mom has.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have no doubt that you and Jasper are bonded! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

I hope your mom will agree to spay mama kitty though.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well hes approaching 4 weeks. He weighs around 316. The scale jumpes from 307-325. So wet food time? Someone said turkey baby food? How much should i feed him of it and then how much should i be feeding him of the KMR? Any other advice would be awesome!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He may or may not be ready to wean. You can try putting Gerber turkey baby food on your finger to see if he's interested in licking it. If he is, you can put a blob on a plate for him to lick. You'll want to offer solids first, then the bottle.

You can also try mixing pate style wet food with KMR to make a mush and see if he shows interest in licking that.

It's teaspoon size portions to start, given every 4 hours, until he eats more.

It may take him a couple more weeks to really start eating solids. He'll still need his bottle, but he may surprise us and start sooner.

Let me know when you introduce food to him and how he reacts.

He'll also need kitten chow when he begins eating, and a tiny litter pan. You can use a disposable aluminum baking pan from the Dollar store to start (with litter on the bottom).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's growing like a WEED!  Aren't you just the best Daddy ever?  Um...we do need more pics...don't forget, I'm addicted to kittens' tails! 

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Well i tried a little baby food today and he wouldnt take it. But he is rather interested in his mommas food. I fees the momma twice a day and when i fees her he always gets curious and sticks his head in her bowl

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Awwww, he's so cute!!! 
That's exactly what I was going to say!  He is really cute.  And you are doing a wonderful job helping Mama Kitty raise him. 

Was also reading above that Mama Kitty is 13 and is your Mom's cat. She must be very healthy to be still able to birth healthy kittens, but I also hope you'll be able to assist your Mom with getting Mama Kitty spayed after Jasper is weaned.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yep, he's a little young for weaning. Give him another couple weeks. Glad to hear he's checking out mom's food.

Has Jasper hit the pound mark yet?

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Heyyy so hes 4 weeks now, does thay mean i can move yo every 4 hours for feeding?!

Oh and i cant find grain free kitten food but ive found an ALS grain free. Will that be fine to use?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, every 4 hours now.

What's his weight, and how many mLs is he getting at each feeding?

Purina kitten chow is fine, unless you specifically want grain-free.

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hes around 360 now. He wont stay still and im using a digital food scale so its jumping around and i believe hes up to about 23ml at each feeding. I can prob do more as he always fights me when i try to take the bottle from him. And id prefer grain free, i dont like feeding crappy kibble to my pets

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
By all means give him as much as he wants to drink. He's a month old and still not quite 13 ounces.

Is the brand of food you're considering kitten chow?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By all means give him as much as he wants to drink. He's a month old and still not quite 13 ounces.

Is the brand of food you're considering kitten chow?
Im not disagreeing, more looking for assurance. Im scared to feed him alot because it always feels like his belly is full and its always big, kind of like theres a small golfball inside him that swells to a nig golf ball after feeding. Ive yet to feed him when it felt like his stomach was not full.

He may not be 13 ounces yet, but he has came a heck of a long way!

The kibble im looking at is either 4 health (sold at tractor supply) or taste of the wild. Both are grain free.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Jasper looks and sounds very healthy! That fat tummy is normal for a healthy kitten. As he grows it will diminish. You're doing a great job!

I'm not familiar with those brands, but he does need kitten chow for a few months. He needs the extra nutrition it supplies, and he especially will need the tiny pieces initially. And plenty of wet food. I'll look for a grain-free kitten chow brand and get back with you on it.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with @sarthur2  about the feedings.  Even if Jasper has a fat belly, he knows when he's hungry and when he's not.  And he's already underweight for his age, so I think he's trying to catch up!  I also wonder if underfeeding him now might lead to an adult cat who overeats?  Just a thought.  You're doing a great job with Jasper!   

Is he going potty completely on his own?  Maybe he still needs to be helped to go before you feed him.  Maybe that'll help that round belly and ease your fears.  Like she said, you can't overfeed a kitten.  

I've heard some good things about Taste of the Wild.  Grain-free is a good choice, I think.  I also heard it had a recall at one time.  So whatever brand you chose, visit the site for that brand often and google 'pet food recalls for (insert brand name)" every week.  Do they make kitten food?