Keeping a kitten alive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How important is purina kitten chow to his development? I don't mean to sound cheap but both my other cats are eating it and im already buying them a quality kibble. They're all eating shiba as well so. So I jasper continues to eat shiba does he need the kitten chow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
alexp08 alexp08

Yes, he should really have kitten chow the first 6 months. It has the nutrition and calories he needs to grow on. It's also tiny pieces which are easier for him to eat while he's little. He still has baby teeth. He needs both wet food and dry food.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
How important is purina kitten chow to his development? I don't mean to sound cheap but both my other cats are eating it and im already buying them a quality kibble. They're all eating shiba as well so. So I jasper continues to eat shiba does he need the kitten chow?
The only alternative is if the other food is specifically an "all life stages" food. Merrick's LID dry food is tiny kibble and is an all life stages. Price isn't *that* bad. (We feed Nature's Variety Instinct to all in the rescue, young and old, but the price is quite a bit higher than what you are currently paying.)

Taste of the Wild is also a more affordable all life stages food.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i do actually have some merrick, i bought it for my other two cats but haven't began the transition for them from their old kibble yet. But I didn't know if the kitten chow had more nutrition needed for a kitten than just shiba

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is just the Sheba, then the kitten chow is a must.  Actually, I kept Hekitty on kitten food for 18 months, till she had reached full growth.  That might be a little excessive, but it certainly didn't hurt a thing.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
alexp08 alexp08

How is Jasper doing? Is he still on his kitten food?

And how is Mama Tobi?

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jaspers doing well, yes hes still on his kitten food as well as shiba. Hes made friends with my dog haha. Ive never seen my dog be more gentle then when they are playing

And tobi is doing well. Shes eating a little bit better and the diarrhea she was having has stopped!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww ... Cute pictures! I love where he's got your dog's tail! So darn cute!

I did not know Tobi had diarrhea, but if it comes back let us know. Glad she's okay now. Has Jasper visited his mom yet?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Has jasper climbed the castle yet..Ha hes been all over it.

No jasper hasn't visited his momma any. Hes now a permanent resident at my place.

On a side note. Hes still trying to nurse.. I just caught him trying to nurse off my dog. Is that normal/okay?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's okay, but this is why we recommended he stay longer with mama. I know he's a permanent resident with you, but thought you might take him to see his mama still.

Kittens separated too young tend to want to suckle. If your dog doesn't mind, it's fine. Or you can give him a blanket or piece of cloth (old tee shirt) with the corner soaked in KMR to nurse on. He might like that.

It's obvious he is king of the castle! ;)

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah i know, I wanted them to stay together longer too but the circumstances got bad :-(

And you have no idea how KING he is hahaha

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, that's a kitten who knows his place in this world, and it is RIGHT AT THE TOP!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The white one with no tail (lilly) isn't to fond of him yet. She usually runs from him or jumps up where he can't get her. Dexter likes playing with him

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The white one with no tail (lilly) isn't to fond of him yet. She usually runs from him or jumps up where he can't get her. Dexter likes playing with him

Lol, that's easy to see.  Look at her ears!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha its surprising because during my house visits lilly was normally the one that was checking him out and being socialable and now she wants to be left alone

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Awwwwww...  It is love at first sight for Jasper.....you dog is so sweet. 

I am thinking that because you dog is so big, to Jasper, that he feels she is a substitute for his MaMa...

The fact that you dog is so lovable and gentle is awesome. Not many dogs would tolerate this..