Keeping a kitten alive

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, that's thoughtful that you brought the blanket with his mom's smell, and made one for Tobi too!

It sounds like Tobi needed to acclimate to being back outside. It's been almost 2 months in the bathroom, right?

Please let us know how Tobi is adjusting to outside again, and if she seems happy.

I know that Jasper is happy to have playmates! Will you take him to visit his mama?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet said they really didnt feel like fat deposit. He said it during the consult about 3 times.

Ill look into the birth control.

And tobi disappeared again, that was her normal priop to jasper shell show back up at night to get fed and the in the morning then disappear again hahah.

Thats jaspers new favorite spot, ive taken him off there twice but he keeps climbing back up, so i figure ill leave him be hahaha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had to look for him! He looks so tiny on there!

I'm not keen on the birth control idea. It could cause her cancer to grow faster. Hormones and cancer are not good together. It's something you might want to talk about with the vet.

Where does Tobi go? Under the deck?

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well we live right near the woods so she goes and explores and hunts for mice hahaha. My mom despises mice and yet tobi will bring them back and leave them under the deck haha.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Family picture

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am heartbroken over Tobi.  Just from what I know of you after following this thread, I know that when she is really ailing, you and your mom will do the right thing by her and end her suffering.  For now, let her enjoy her remaining life in the way that she knows so well.

Jasper is a doll.  I love seeing him play "King of the World" on top of that crate!  Sassy little devil, isn't he?  Remember those few weeks back, when the goal was him surviving from one feeding to another?  Hard to believe it is the same kitten!  GOOD JOB ALEX!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahaha it is hard to believe he is the same kitten, and he is fiesty! Hes terrorizing everyone! Including me lol either attcking my foot or hand lol

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long is wet food good for after placed in a dish? Normally it all get eating between tobi and jasper but now that its just jasper, i gave him about half a can of shiba 3 hours ago and he didnt finish it all. When should i throw ot out? My other cats dodnt eat it either....no they went and ate his purina kitten chow -_-

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A couple of hours, then toss it. Give a quarter can next feeding. All cats seem to love kitten chow!

Is Tobi still getting wet food at your mom's?

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to discourage the attacking your hands and feet pretty immediately. Hiss at him when he does it and walk away. It's a bad habit and hard to break!

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A couple of hours, then toss it. Give a quarter can next feeding. All cats seem to love kitten chow!

Is Tobi still getting wet food at your mom's?
Yeah tobis always been on wet food, only time she gets dry is when my mom forgets to pick some up at the market ahah so she keeps a backup of some kibble just incase.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'll want to discourage the attacking your hands and feet pretty immediately. Hiss at him when he does it and walk away. It's a bad habit and hard to break!
Its soooo cute though hahaha but yes i know, ones those paws and jaw get strong ill be screaming hahaha

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is what he is not getting now from mom - discipline! This is when mom begins to teach manners to her kittens, but it wasn't going to happen in the bathroom.

How it works is when the kitten starts rough-housing, mom steps in and grabs him by the neck with her mouth. She holds him down with her mouth and paw. Sometimes she kicks him with her back legs or swats him with a front paw, or hisses at him. Through this process, the kitten learns to "be nice", to use soft paws, and to back off when the playing gets too rough and the other party on the receiving end cries "enough".

You're "mom" now, Dad! However, he does not know better until taught. It's natural for kittens to play and to pounce, and to use their claws.

After he leaves you scratched up good, you'll understand! ;)

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its soooo cute though hahaha but yes i know, ones those paws and jaw get strong ill be screaming hahaha

So, in order to avoid this, you need to begin now to be the "mom" and make sure he understands that biting and scratching are not acceptable as sarthur and talkingpeanut are stating.  When he bites, for instance, look into his eyes and say a firm  "NO!! You are hurting daddy."  You might want to gently pat him once on top of the head so as to make sure you got his attention and that biting, scratching daddy is unacceptable behavior.  To use as an example, a friend of mine and myself are caring for a neighbor's 14 feral cat cattery.  Molly, one of the mothers has to discipline her daughter Gracie who is older than Jasper but none the less a "spit fire" like Jasper.  Gracie like to meanly attack her brother Tucker.  When mom Molly sees this, she will come over and with her one front paw, smack Gracie on top of her head, disciplining her to stop picking on her brother.  ( As an aside, for all the good mom was trying to teach her, when mom was not looking, Gracie would use that same discipline tactic on poor Tucker.
 Oh well, you can't win them all).  None the less, just an example of mom cat disciplining one of her kittens.   If you do nothing, he will never learn that biting/scratching are unacceptable and you will be in a lot of physical pain.

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, im no longer his mom... my dog is hahah

Jasper won't leave her alone, even when I'm getting ready to leave and put my dog in her crate, jaspers right there with her hahah.
But I know what you guys are saying. I'll definitely stop the scratching and biting.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to install a cat door in the dog's crate so Jasper can get in with him.

He's probably missing him mom a little. How is Tobi doing?

Last edited:

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol hes got friends! He's always tormenting my other two cats. Dexter will play back, lilly will play unless he wakes her up, then shes cranky. As for the kitty door, NO lol my dog likes to stick her head in holes that are too small and she will get stuck hahaha.

alexp08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh and tobis doing well. She disappears throughout the day and comes back and gets food at night. Her normal behavior prior to jasper