Just wondering how long after you see babies moving will she have them :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I know if the kittens are getting milk I tried checking if she had milk but nothing is coming out should I be worried

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are always restless and crying then there may be a problem. But if they sleep and seem content then they are OK. But you should weigh them every day at the same time with a small scale that weighs in grams, then you can tell that they are gaining weight. You can buy one at a pharmacy or at Walmart.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she has had three she is really tired now the kittens are still trying to suckle but there not meowing to much how long should I wait to see if they are actually eating I'm a nervous wreck for them I do have some kitten milk and a dropper how
how can you tell if there is any more kittens in her sorry for all the questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is likely done birthing but may look and feel lumpy while her uterus shrinks back. Nursing helps that. They will be getting colostrum the first couple of days while the milk comes in. Try to relax.

Your best course of action is to weigh the kittens with a scale each day or even every 12 hours to start. A gain of 6-10 grams per day is good. Once you weigh them post the weights for us. If you see them latched and suckling they are probably okay. Some mewing is expected as they root around and mama kitty moves around too. :)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So she has had three she is really tired now the kittens are still trying to suckle but there not meowing to much how long should I wait to see if they are actually eating I'm a nervous wreck for them I do have some kitten milk and a dropper the first kitten is 85 grams the second is 90 grams and the third is 80 grams

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I am sitting here with her and her last kitten was born around 7:20 but I just saw another kitten moving around in her tummy can they have such a big cap between

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they can. It's called interrupted or delayed labor. She will birth it when she is ready.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you Sarthur :-) just being a worried gramma :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens are on the smaller side of normal, but as long as they are latching and nursing they should begin to gain weight. Are they nursing well?

Weigh them again in 24 hours and let's see where they are.

It's okay to worry - we all do! It's normal to have concerns. That's why we're here. :)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are all sucking so that's a good sign :-) a couple little whines here and there but mama is a very loud motor right now lol it's so exciting :-) so are the to small?

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just had one more :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There you go! :) The last baby is out!

No, not too small at all. Sounds like they are nursing well.

Get #4's weight after awhile :).

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Number 4 98 grams he/she is a biggy lol I actually think there is one more

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yay!! The wait is over!

She can have more than one more in there too, with delays in between it's hard to tell by the tummy appearance but at some point you will know by her behavior and no movements in her tummy anymore.

Be sure she gets fresh water or a dish of kitten formula in between, it's alot of work for her to deliver even though they don't cry out and carry on as humans do! 

They look gorgeous.

No worries about the milk coming, it will, they are getting colostrum at first anyway.

This often shows a weight loss the first day of weighing so don't panic with seeing this if you do.

Last edited:

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we had baby number five took a bit for he/she to breath but breathing fine now I am not seeing any more movement now in the tummy I have been trying to get get her to drink water but she is not interested she can barley keep her eyes open my poor Reina but kittens look great :-) hope mama will get some rest time soon thank you again everyone for all the help and quick responses you guys are life savers I think I would be a big wreck if it wasn't for this site :-) will post some more cute pics later :-) and number 5 was also 98 grams

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Congrats and thanks for the weight on #5.

You can mix a beaten egg into her wet food for extra protein when she's ready to eat again. Pick up some KMR (kitten formula) in the can (powdered) and mix some for her to drink. It contains calcium, vitamins, and minerals that she needs to produce good milk and recover her strength. Sounds like she needs it. The kittens will drink it too when they wean.

Keep us updated. Sure was exciting! :)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I still have two cans of the kmr so I will pick some powder milk tomorrow it was such a hectic morning lol and one more question I did weigh them but how can not tell which ones which now is there a way I can mark them they all look the same lol

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will weigh them again tonight