Just wondering how long after you see babies moving will she have them :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to relax. They do not look premature in the picture. Their weights are good. They appear to be latching and suckling. Newborns also sleep a lot. Eat, sleep, eat, sleep. That's about it in the beginning.

They are probably getting colostrum. Since they are not crying, I think they are doing okay. Weigh them in the morning and post the weights for me.

Did you mark their tails?

Is mama kitty mostly staying with them?

If they do end up needing supplementing do you have kitten milk on hand?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am waiting for my husband to get hope so he can bring some markers I only have the can milk one right now but I will run to the pet store tomorrow for the powder kind the mother has not left them since they where born at all not even to go to the bathroom she has eaten though a can of kitten food and some kitten kibble I have her some of the kitten milk twice she is not wanting to drink water but I think it maybe cause she only drinks water from the tap on the bathroom should I bring her to the sink and see if she wants water and to the litter box?

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can see the lower nipples filling up she is going to be getting her milk in, it often looks this way, their nursing on a bit of colostrum now and this stimulates her milk production.

If you don't hear crying, just tiny squeaks now and then when one is scooting around, they will be fine.

What a group of gorgeous kittens you have there!! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am waiting for my husband to get hope so he can bring some markers I only have the can milk one right now but I will run to the pet store tomorrow for the powder kind the mother has not left them since they where born at all not even to go to the bathroom she has eaten though a can of kitten food and some kitten kibble I have her some of the kitten milk twice she is not wanting to drink water but I think it maybe cause she only drinks water from the tap on the bathroom should I bring her to the sink and see if she wants water and to the litter box?
No, not necessary, she will go when she is ready to.

She does need much more water/fluids now that she is nursing, it always surprises me just how much more they will need to consume.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These kittens are not premature.  Premature kittens don't have this much fur.  They look well done. 

When you weigh them tomorrow don't panic if the weight is a little lower.  According to @catwoman707 this is normal because the kittens are getting the colostrum from mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just bring your kitty a fresh bowl of water and put it near the nest. Also leave food out for her next to the water. Put her litter box nearby. She will go when she is ready. It's not unusual for a mama cat not to leave the nest for many hours after birthing. Mine did not leave for 12 hours, and that was a 5-minute potty break! :)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you it is so funny how you can fall in love with these little ones like your own :-) the only thing with trying to get her drink water is she has only ever wanted to drink water from the sink faucet I have bought many different types of water bowels fountains and a water storage one and NOPE she will not drink out of it

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been 13 hours since her first one and still no bathroom break

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will use the litter pan when she is ready to. If you leave a bowl of water and she is thirsty enough she will drink some.

My cat drank 2 bowls full of kitten milk every day while she nursed. She would get incredibly excited about the milk when she saw the bowl in my hands.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always offer her some warmed up chicken broth, bet she goes for that :)

As @Handsome Kitty  mentions I said, it is not unusual at all for kittens to lose a small amt the first day or so, more moms don't have milk ready at the time of giving birth so it's fairly common.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok these kittens are making me a nervous wreck lol I will try some of the chicken broth I think she will go for that :-)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh so I can give her more of the milk on the container it says two table spoons for nursing mothers per five pounds I did give her a little extra then that but was not sure why there was a limit

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I got smart and I added a little bit of kitten milk to her water and it worked she is now drinking the water :-)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can give her more. I mixed up the powder, but it's got great vitamins and minerals and calcium that will help her make good milk for her kittens. Just pour some in a dish and leave it for her to drink.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again everyone you have been so helpful :-)

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol I'm telling you what would I do without you guys :-) a thousand thank yous :-)

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's what we're here for. It's nice to hear that our support is helping! :)