Just wondering how long after you see babies moving will she have them :-)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The nipples shown definitely look suckled on. Let's see what the scale shows at 12 hours.

How is Purple doing with his feedings? Were you able to get a smaller syringe?

Are they crying much?

I am still thinking she is getting her milk, and their sucking makes it happen. If you wind up having to supplement them, you'll have a big job on your hands. You'll be rotating on the bottom nipples, and keeping track of who gets what, when, and from whom. So let's wait and see for the moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok so all the cats weigh the same as last weigh none lost or gained except purple did gain 2 grams they are not whining and they are on mama all day and I still say she is not getting only in the lower right :-( it feels like there is a knot in it to I have been giving at least 1ml to purple every couple of hours she does not want more then that I did give the other kittens 1 ml each to the kittens at 7:30 pm they are sleeping good right now mama is out of the nest eating still not drinking water but eating allot of wet food how much kmr am I suppose to feed them I did get a 1 ml syringe anything else should I be doing you thing everything is ok

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am having a hard time reading your post.  Can you repost the top two lines?

You said you fed all the other kittens.  Did they seem really hungry?  I think @sarthur2 was expecting some weight gain and since purple gained and the others didn't you should probably supplement all of them at least until the mama's mild comes in.  Keep putting to mama to nurse their sucking will induce her to make milk.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try to feed 2 mls each every couple hours.

We don't want them not to nurse from mom, this is what stimulates her milk production.

Canned food will cause cats not to drink too, it contains alot of water, like about 80%, so this is not surprising.

Unless they are crying and searching, latching on then fussing and searching again, they are content with what they are getting at this point.

We will see what tmrw brings for mom, but if you over-worry it makes it take even longer! 

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry trying to type and hang with my kids and make cookies at the same time. I feed all the kittens 1ml of the kmr. They have been suckling all day with a couple five min breaks for mom to go to the bathroom even when sleeping they are latched on.Should I be worried about the knot feeling thing in the teat that has milk?

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Purple does have a scrappy meow though kinda like she is tired

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry trying to type and hang with my kids and make cookies at the same time. I feed all the kittens 1ml of the kmr. They have been suckling all day with a couple five min breaks for mom to go to the bathroom even when sleeping they are latched on.Should I be worried about the knot feeling thing in the teat that has milk?
If milk is coming out and it isn't red and irritated looking I would just keep an eye on it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right, if there was a clogged nipple you will see redness and swelling come, and hot, much hotter than the rest of her body.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm a little confused because I thought we were waiting until they were weighed next since they are latched on and suckling.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she has started giving all of them 1 ml every couple hours, she is worried mom won't have milk soon enough.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the first scale that I used for the kittens I was using for the kittens did don't read there weights right A friend of mine drought over her scale and we weighed the kittens and they are all way lower then what my scale read. I also returned it and bought a new one. That being said I remarked the kittens under there armpit cause the markers kept coming off on there tails. (Used sharpie) following weights are
Red -85
Blue-80
Purple-70
Orange-65
Green-80
They are all weighing this weight on both scales my friends scale and the new one. I am supplementing all of them now as off 7:30 pm tonight they only had 1 ml each and at 10:00 pm they had 2mls each they are still sucking on mom the whole time in between. Mom still only jumps out to go to the bathroom I will continue feed them every two hrs and have them latch on to mom in between they are not fussy or whining.They seem to be ok except purple who seems kinda weak not wanting to move around allot and her meow seems tired

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And Reinas teats are pink don't look red or irritated still look flat only the button right has milk that I can tell.

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it is good you are supplementing all of them as advised. I thought my calico kitten was small at 5.4 oz at 3 days old, but that is 153 g which is a lot bigger than the biggest in your group.
You will get excellent advice from everyone so I know your kittens will turn around and start gaining. I hope your mamma cat gets her milk in soon.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is purple doing now?  You can give him some energy by putting a little liquid honey or light karo syrup on his lips or gums.  If you do this before feeding him he will have energy to eat more.  You can mix a little sugar w/water if you don't have the other sugars mentioned.

You can also mix the kmr powder w/unflavored pedialyte if you think they are dehydrated.

The weights are low but since your scale wasn't working right it's hard to know if they have gained or lost.

Hopefully mom's other nipples will start producing milk soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is it going? Did you feed through the night? Between your kids and your cats I am sure you are exhausted!

I'm worried about Purple too.

Can we get weights again soon?

They are definitely needing 1 mL every hour or 2 mL apiece every two hours. They need to be rotated on the two bottom nipples too so the smaller ones get some milk and the stronger ones suckle on the other nipples to hopefully stimulate milk production.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I waited till ten to weigh them,I have been feeding them 2ml every two hours and here are the weights
Red- 85-85
Blue-80-75
Purple-70-70
Orange-65-66
Green-80-80
I don't know what I am doing wrong they eat 2ml and then they suck on mom two hours later I feed them again they are all acting good no limp bodies really trying to get away from me when I feed them when they meow they sound strong and they do whine a little bit but not a stressful sounding whine it's more like hey move out of my way brother whine.They sleep good and move around to bundle in a pile I'm tired and I don't know what else to do :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the first weight where they were at the last weigh-in and the second where they are now?

Just continue feeding them. They should begin gaining weight soon, and you say they are nursing mama. They sound like they are doing okay.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you see all five nursing a nipple at the same time?

Last edited: