Just wondering how long after you see babies moving will she have them :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been switching them around but they fight to get back to there original one. It is the powder one should I find a different brand?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to be using the powdered KMR that comes in a can and mixing it yourself with water. PetAg is actually the brand we recommend.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is the one I am using

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes I feed them through out the night one feeding was 2 1/2 hrs later cause I slept through the alarm but every two hrs besides the one 2 1/2 mess up

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I waited till ten to weigh them,I have been feeding them 2ml every two hours and here are the weights
Red- 85-85
Blue-80-75
Purple-70-70
Orange-65-66
Green-80-80
I don't know what I am doing wrong they eat 2ml and then they suck on mom two hours later I feed them again they are all acting good no limp bodies really trying to get away from me when I feed them when they meow they sound strong and they do whine a little bit but not a stressful sounding whine it's more like hey move out of my way brother whine.They sleep good and move around to bundle in a pile I'm tired and I don't know what else to do :-(
The first thing to do is take a break, time out, leave them alone for a while so you can regroup.

You MUST do this, or you will be of no help for mom and kits.

Once you have done this and get your strength back, call a local vet and get the momma cat seen today.

She can be given an injection of oxytocin to help get her milk going.

Meanwhile, don't get yourself all worked up, but you are going to need to supplement alot more now, not so much that they don't try to nurse from mom, as this stimulates her milk, but enough to sustain them until it comes.

They are very small as it is, orange is 65 grams?! 

You can't use a bottle, you will be using the 1 ml syringe.

Get an empty gatorade or water bottle and make up a batch of formula, not so much that it will be tossed out since it can only be stored in fridge for 2 days max.

Just pour a small amt out from the refridgerated bottle in to a small cup and warm it up. Once the cupped milk is warm, set the cup in a large bowl of very hot water, this will keep the milk from getting cool during feeding.

Relax, take your time, they will resist but don't give them a choice, they must be fed now until her milk comes.

65 grams weight (orange) needs 18 mls per day.

70 grams just a bit more, 20 mls.

80 grams would be about 22 mls

85 grams will need about 24 mls.

This is going to be very time consuming, but of course you want to save them, and remember it should only be for a short time, maybe a couple days.

According to what you have done yesterday, fed them 2 mls every 2 hours, they should have gained, so maybe some of the milk is dripping on their necks rather than in their tummies. 

If you fill the 1 ml syringe with water, squirt it in to your palm, see how little that amt is? So any drops will mean less they get. 

One at a time, pull out and feed then replace with another. Dont keep more than one at a time away from mom, we dont want to discourage her from caring for them.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just got off the phone with the vet I told him about the weight of the kittens and that mama me assuming mama is not getting enough milk.He asked me if the kittens where crying allot And I told him only when mama leaves to go to the bathroom and sniff around for a bit and she pops right back in. He also asked if she is caring for them stimulating them and cleaning them (bonding with them) I said yes. I told him I started to syringe feed them 7:30 pm last night and he said to continue doing that but he also thinks that mama is giving them somthing cause they are not crying he told me to give it till Monday and to continue feeding and getting them to suckle off of mama to try and get her to produce more then what she is producing He never mentioned a shot :-( He said since they are not crying that there getting just enough to keep them full.He said to keep hand feeding and getting them to suck they should start to gain weight And to call him for progress He also said that the teat that feels like there is a knot if it is not red or swollen and till releasing some milk it should be fine but keep an eye on it. And if nothing changes by Monday to bring them in he said there is not much more that he could do to help the kittens I seem to be doing what I can. Should I call a different vet to get a second opinion

jeapa507

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say I am keeping you and your kittens in my thoughts and prayers. The best of the best are helping you and I feel in my heart the kittens will start gaining soon.

You are doing a great job so hang in there.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the vet's recommendations. I also think they are getting something from mom, but not enough, and I worry that my advising to continue to wait may result in poor advice, in the rare occasion that mom is not producing milk, and may actually not.

She should be by now, but this doesn't necessarily mean she won't soon either, she may just be slower, which is why I thought getting a shot of oxytocin is a good thing to do at this point.

You can also consult with another vet, just to see if he does mention getting her the oxytocin, and if so, I would def. do this asap.

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I don't know what else to do the mama and babies have a vet appointment tomorrow weights
Red-85-79
Blue-80-81
Purple-70-71
Orange-65-61
Green-80-82
I just don't know I guess I have been doing feedings two hours but it takes almost one hour just to feed them :-( the mom still does not have no milk the cats are not whining though I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did run out to look for a bottle it is a kinda long slim nipple the kittens take to it well no drips on face or down neck.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are taking mild from the bottle it will be easier to feed them and they will get more food.  I'm surprised (and glad) they are accepting it.

They should be gaining more.  Please keep supplementing them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am very happy to hear they are taking the bottle. Is it going faster now?

Give them as much as they will drink at each feeding. Can you call an emergency vet and ask for a shot today to get mom's milk going?

The lack of weight gain is alarming. You are keeping them alive right now with the hand-feeding.

Is mama kitty licking them and stimulating them and lying with them still?

S selina81

Last edited:

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With a very very sad heart I have to say we lost orange and purple the two girls we named them Bella and Reina cause she looked just like mama. We can not bury them without a name :-( We have one more that is not doing so great and my son name him max he is slowly fading I am still trying to feed him and giving him Kyro syrup a couple drops to try and give him some energy but not working to well the last two are boys and they are still pretty strong and loud crys and even have paw fights between each other to get the only working teat How long do I have to wait to get mama spayed I don't want to go through this again it is was to hard to see the little ones fall so fast and my boys are heartbroken.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am sorry that you you lost two kittens.
The rest of the litter may not make it if they are not supplemented around the clock. Kittens can die within 24 hours if they are not fed. Especially if mom has no milk. This means literally through the night.

Did you ever get mama kitty the shot that catwoman recommended to force her milk to come in?

Were you able to feed the kittens through the night?

They may have other problems which we don't know about, but right now it apoears that they just need feeding because mom has no milk.

I hope you can keep the others going until you can get mom the shot she needs to see if it will stimulate her milk. You just need to try to feed them every hour.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
PS: Mama does not get spayed until her kittens are 8 weeks old.

Last edited:

selina81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been supplementing them since Thursday night started at 7:30 pm but I was feeding them every two hours didn't know I had to feed them every hour till someone posted to change to feeding every hr and as much as they wanted to eat I only slipped up once and that was not even an hour more then the two hours I have stepped up to the plate You make it sound like I would just let them starve to death I have not had anytime to do anything else but be with these fur babies and to call around and post to see if anyone has a mama cat that can help out I am trying here I did not just sleep through the night and even when I was told to leave them alone for awhile I still feed them every two hours I am not the type a person to just sit there and say Ohh well I look at my pets as my family And concerning the shot no she has not received it yet Satuday I called ally of vet office and not one of them where able to see her cause they where booked up cause they closed early And they also said I am doing what can be done and there wouldn't be much more they would be able to do.when talking about about the mom not producing milk they said it would likely she would not produce milk cause here mammary glands did not swell.They do have a vet apt scheduled tomorrow in the at 8:30 am I just don't understand what more you would like me to do to step up my game I am sorry you think I would just give up on them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do not mean to upset you, but regarding vets I have learned that many times one has to be proactive in asking for what you want, like the shot to stimulate milk. Not all vets are well versed in kitten care.

I am calling out catwoman707 catwoman707 to weigh in here with her sage advice. I am so sorry that everything has been difficult and not worked out so far. I know that you do not want your kittens to die.

Last edited: