Jake- Very sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Actually thanks to everyone who has responded and continues to check on jake.

Originally Posted by jennyranson

We are all rooting for you and little Jake.
The ironic thing about this statement is that Jake really does look so little now. Even though he was only 9.5 pounds before, his fur made him look HUGE!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This afternoon I soaked Jake's toes again in epsom salts and then examined them and cleaned them good with qtips again. There wasn't nearly as much gunk in them. There was one socket or nail bed that had some pus coming out of it but that's it. His paws aren't as tender either. Let's keep up the prayers, thoughts, vibes or whatever you're sending to Jake!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today Jake is looking even better. He is spending more and more time out from his little protective corner. (He's been kind of isolating himself in the cubby above my computer monitor for weeks). I got up in the middle of the night to take some pain meds for my back and he was laying on the floor in the living room, keeping an eye on the other cats like he normally does! After all, Jake is the man of the family here! Jake's reflexes also seem to be a bit quicker. When he was so sick, he didn't respond to anything at all. He is again responding to sudden noises and movements. Even the smallest things.

His toes look much better today too. As I mentioned a couple days ago, I soaked and cleaned his toes real good again. This is day 2 after soaking them and he hasn't built up tons of pus like he usually does. The toes are staying pretty clean. And most of the redness has gone away. He just has a couple small spots on the tops of his paws with a little redness. Probably from him licking them.

Quite a bit of the dried pus on his ears is starting to come off on its own. As of last night it was the inside only. Today there is much less dried pus on the outside too. The tissue, for the most part, looks normal color and fairly healthy. The inside of the ears seem to be healing a little faster then the outside. But the outside got bad so fast I'm not surprised. The inside of his ears were the last to become inflammed and pussy.

Jake has also gained 2 lbs. I think he must have weighed more then I orignally thought. The second time at the vet he weighed in at 9.3 lbs so maybe he had already lost some weight by that time. When I weighed him last Friday, he was 8 lbs. Yesterday he was 10 lbs. I'm not sure why the vet didn't weigh him the first time I took him in. Especially since he was so critically ill with lethargy and a temp of almost 106.

The sore around the one eye is hard to tell if it is improving but I think it is. The dried pus is starting to flake off it also. He has maintained a little more fur around that area so it's hard to get a real good look at it without probing and I don't want to irritate it.

What am I doing? Heck if I know! Actually, Jake is getting about 3 teaspoons of Transfer Factor Animal Stress Pack a day. I give him 1 teaspoon 3 times a day. I put the powederd T.F. in a sealed container and had added the powder from some Grape Seed capsules to that. Probably about 5 capsules to 1 package of Transfer Factor. I mix 1 tsp of that to 2 tsp of milk (I got the milk idea from one of the docs on an archived conference call) and just a tiny bit of flax oil and feed it to him in a 1cc syringe. He takes it pretty well until the last one or two syringes and then he gets bored! He seems to be tolerating that tiny bit of milk and he takes it better that way.

It seems Jake's progress has been accelerated the last 2 days. I hope it continues and he is healed soon. I want my little mischievious, playful boy back.

rita

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad Jake seems to be feeling better

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Tammie, did your vet actually give you a diagnosis? The reason I ask is that your description of Jake matches many on an EGC (eosinophilic granuloma complex) forum I belong to. (It used to be a German Yahoo group, but has been transformed into a regular forum). I joined because of Jamie's "rodent ulcer", and learned that there can be so many external and internal manifestations of this disorder.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Tammie, did your vet actually give you a diagnosis? The reason I ask is that your description of Jake matches many on an EGC (eosinophilic granuloma complex) forum I belong to. (It used to be a German Yahoo group, but has been transformed into a regular forum). I joined because of Jamie's "rodent ulcer", and learned that there can be so many external and internal manifestations of this disorder.
Yes they did some tests (although not as many as they wanted to) and he had a positive for lupus. I guess it's very difficult to diagnose though and I think they said for it to be a truely positive diagnosis, they have to be tested again 6 months after the first. So obviously he hasn't had the follow up test. The vet really feels this is what it is because he has had the break outs exactly where they expect them to be plus the test. And the fact that he didn't respond to antibiotics (multiple!) or a steroid inj. Boy I tell ya... it's been frustrating because there are so many other diseases and disorders that are similar. It drove me nuts just trying to research it myself. But they ruled out the eosinophilic granuloma. One of the clues was that he didn't have any ulcerations to his lips/mouth or mucos membranes for the most part. From what I understand, skin disorders are hard to diagnose anyway. They also thought at one time that it could be ringworm too. But I understand that is highly contagious and none of my other cats or me caught it. And I guess it is one thing that can be passed from cats to humans. And nothing showed up with the light. So by process of illimination, we chose which tests to run (because of my limited resources) and that is how they finally came up with it and the positive results for lupus erythomatosus (or however it is spelled!)

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the pictures I didn't share before. These were before I started the homeopathic treatments. I have to run to the drugstore but when I get back I'll take some pictures of the same spots now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, wow - I'm familiar with lupus, because two friends have it, but I've never heard of a cat with it! You learn something new every day.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Oh, wow - I'm familiar with lupus, because two friends have it, but I've never heard of a cat with it! You learn something new every day.
I hadn't heard of it in cats before either. There is some information on the web about it but not tons. So I didn't even think about it until the vet mentioned it. And even then I guess I was kind of in denial. I didn't want to think that was it and I sort of pushed it out of my mind. Very weird, huh? Anyway, I've been having a hard time accepting it.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah... and the vet had taken some gunk from his toes and looked at it under a microscope. There were a lot of white blood cells but she said they didn't appear to be the type for rodent ulcer. It wasn't a full blown biopsy but she was trying to do what she could within my financial limits. Which I thought was nice.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammie, I'm glad to hear that Jake is doing better! If you're very much impressed with the TF, let me know, ok? It was reccommended to me for Tigs with his FeLv, but I'm a little leery, ya know?