I've been adopted again! Kind of long,(sorry) & picts! :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What terrible news. I can only imagine how you are feeling. It's really unfortunate that Sammy was seen by your neighbours, otherwise perhaps your landlord would have continued to look the other way.  I guess all you can do is put out feelers to your friends and clients that you either a) need a good home for Sammy or b) need a new home for both you and Sammy. Hopefully the right solution will come along quickly. Good luck. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What terrible news. I can only imagine how you are feeling. It's really unfortunate that Sammy was seen by your neighbours, otherwise perhaps your landlord would have continued to look the other way.  I guess all you can do is put out feelers to your friends and clients that you either a) need a good home for Sammy or b) need a new home for both you and Sammy. Hopefully the right solution will come along quickly. Good luck. 
Thank you!  Yes, I am stressed to say the least!   I have been looking at apartments on line, & even small, one bedrooms are more than I am paying!!   I will try & call a rental company tomorrow & ask, but I don't think I'll be able to find anything for as little as I'm paying, much less half the space.  I was just really trying to find something, because I would like to keep Sammy as well as get out from under my landlord!  But being that I'm just not seeing anything, I may have to re-home, which makes me unbearably sad!  ....Just trying, so i know which direction I'm going in at all! 

Meanwhile, my sweet little baby is just napping away on the floor...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, regarding needing two bedrooms because you need one for an office... is that for tax purposes? If so, you don't need a full room to have a home office. It just has to be a dedicated space, which can be a portion of a room (a desk for instance).

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought of a suggestion:  try Reddit.  I don't know if you've ever used Reddit but I would highly suggest posting your situation here(https://www.reddit.com/r/Wilmington/) or on a more active NC sub there.  Also, try CityData.
No, I'm not familiar with that, but will look at it. Thank you.

New News,

I was just outside talking to my neighbor two houses up, at the front of the driveway. She walks her dogs down here & back. (She has rented from him for YEARS, longer than me).

She said to not worry about what my landlord said, that he would soften up after a while, forget about it, etc..  That I should've just said that He only comes up to visit, that he's not mine. I told her what I already told him, & she said, not to worry about it, that he isn't going to do anything. I kept telling her that no matter what I offered, he just kept coming back w/ no!

I asked about the guy upstairs, next door, & she said that he had a girlfriend that had a cat & was gonna move in w/ him, & should he ask the landlord, & she told him no, & that she could leave anyway. Well, I guess two days after that she did, so it didn't matter.(confusing, I know, just repeating what I was told)  She said he doesn't want a cat, works all the time, etc.. so doesn't know why the landlord would say that.

He was just using everyone supposedly said against me!

She said to just keep Sammy out of the porch window & to close that shade when I leave, so no one can look in. 

I get what she's saying, but I told her I just can't take that chance, because I can't afford anywhere else to live. She still kept saying, I wouldn't worry about it. To even say, I let him back out, to where he came from & keep him in.  I'm just afraid that my landlord will get mad & kick me out, if he found out! I'm just in a horrible position!! 

I can see what she's saying, but just don't know how it would play out.  I just don't know if I can get around it......

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, regarding needing two bedrooms because you need one for an office... is that for tax purposes? If so, you don't need a full room to have a home office. It just has to be a dedicated space, which can be a portion of a room (a desk for instance).
No, It's for my massage table. I also still have waxing clients, but I don't do enough business to claim anything. I have regular waxing clients, about once a month, so that helps with a little cash, but only a massage client or two, & the only regular basis one is a trade. My friend who does my hair. So I still need a room for that. Even if i gave it up, I'd still need space to do my friend for trade. Plus still have room to store the table, even if not set up all the time.  It's just a lot of stuff.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe Sammy could live here and be an indoor outdoor cat with a lot of other cats if someone could organize a Love Train (cat relay) to get him here. I'm sure finding him a home of his own would be better, but he could be a long-term forster until you move, IF you move, and if not, he could go on the adoption list.   My car is fixed but I would not trust it to go to NC.  I do have a friend who comes through there in November or December (with her two cats, whom I board for her for a week while she's in Atlanta). 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Monday find out who is legal aid for rentals. I think your neighbor is right. You have rights. He can't just toss you out. He has to follow the process to evict and it is long and drawn out. In the meantime call your nurse practitioner and explain the situation. Get the paperwork even if you don't intend on using it. You can now start a papertrail for the NEXT home you move to if you even move. Those are two things you can do tomorrow.

See what legal aid says. If you are a good tenant I doubt he wants to loose you. It's very hard to find good reliable renters who are: non smoking-quiet=pay on time. And like your neighbor hood woman said=keep the shade shut when you aren't home.

I know how upset you are-maybe find out which if the idiot neighbors snitched about the cat. I almost bet other renters have pets. Start doing detective work. Keep heart.

Also I know you don't want to deal with Facebook-but you could find new clients-there are tons of community pages of people looking for services. This alone could help increase your clients. Trust me I have seen tons of people connect and find help with a variety of services. Yardsale community forums on facebook too. Just do a search for Wilmington NC community and I bet you will find at least 1 or 2 groups. at least you can put out feelers you are looking for work and you have references....This is how many people get new clients. If I had the time to do my part time hobby this is what I would do. You will find more clients than you have time for.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe Sammy could live here and be an indoor outdoor cat with a lot of other cats if someone could organize a Love Train (cat relay) to get him here. I'm sure finding him a home of his own would be better, but he could be a long-term forster until you move, IF you move, and if not, he could go on the adoption list.   My car is fixed but I would not trust it to go to NC.  I do have a friend who comes through there in November or December (with her two cats, whom I board for her for a week while she's in Atlanta). 
I appreciate that so much, Thank you! but everything just feels so up in the air right now.
I had to step away from it all & try & go make & eat some dinner. I've been so upset & stressed, I've hardly eaten much in the last two days.
If it came to that, I'd bring him down with my mom, in her car.
Mine seems ok, but almost 10 yrs old, so don't want to take a chance w/ mine either.

I also had a thought of having all of the neighbors sign a statement, saying that they are ok w/ me having Sammy. I don't know if that would be good, or just make him madder?
Or, like my neighbor said, just say I let him go back to where he came from, & keep him in, which I would do, but what makes that hard is the fact that my landlords barbershop is up in front of me, & his house is around the corner, so he's around, & it would be hard & not fair to keep Sammy out of the windows.
It's just such a messed up situation.
I've prayed about it, but I just don't know what's going to happen.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@foxxycat,. Thanks for the info. But Even if I did all of that, I think it would just piss my landlord off , & he'd just find a way to get me out then. Like raising the rent.
Another place would be nice, but I really have low rent, & simply can not afford anywhere else.
Like I said, even a small trailer would cost more & be way smaller! Sad, but true.
Like I said, I dont think my practitioner could do that, only a dr, & then out of resentment the rent could get raised & I'd be out. Not making excuses, but just true. I wish it were different.

No, none of the other neighbor ors have pets, ecsept the one up the driveway that I talked to, & she's had them forever. His justification for that is they've had them forever, & live in a single house. No one above, or below to disturb.
My house, & the one next door are upstairs, downstairs apts.
No one told on me. He was just using that against me. I think he's pissed because he said no more pets, & now I have one... Below me is a blind couple, so they don't have any, & nxt door is an older lady w/ a lot of health issues & low income, so she doesn't. Neither does the guy above her.
That's it. I know them all, so I know they dont.

One good thing, I have a waxing client coming tomorrow, & a massage coming on Wednesday,
So that will give me money to finally take Sammy to the vets for exam & shots.
I will talk to her about it all too.

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You guys are still in my thoughts today.

Talking to your vet seems like a great idea! In any case, you have some time, so take it slow, and try not to stress too much (I know, easier said than done). Have you tried meditation or visualization? I find it's a great way to keep calm and get rid of some stress.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are still in my thoughts today.
Talking to your vet seems like a great idea! In any case, you have some time, so take it slow, and try not to stress too much (I know, easier said than done). Have you tried meditation or visualization? I find it's a great way to keep calm and get rid of some stress.
Thank you! I just feel like I'm in constant anxiety, not knowing what's going to happen, even which direction were going in. Sammy is also not liking being kept in today. I told him he wasn't being punished, that mommy was just keeping g him safe.
I made his vet appt. This morning, for next Monday at 10:20.
I wanted to get him in this Thursday, but my vet is off on Thursdays, & this sat. Is her sat. Off.
I explained a little of what's going on to the receptionist. So my vet may have a little heads up.
Sammy is crying, & pawing at the door now. This does not help my stress. I sprayed the calming spray around, & have calming treats out, but he hasn't touched them yet.
He knows where the litter box is & has used it in the past, & I've shown it to him again, to remind him, but he hasn't used it, & he's been in since 12:30 yesterday afternoon.
We definitely dont need any of those issues on top of everything else!

I know what you mean about trying to meditate, etc.. but I'm so stressed, I can't even calm my mind.
There's just so much there! I have 2 waxing clients coming today also.

Thank you for your support.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh Kelly, I'm so sorry.

I haven't been on in a few days, and this certainly wasn't the update I expected.  Along with everyone else, my heart is breaking for you.

What a crap landlord. is there any chance that the people asking about a cat, can stick up for you to help you get approval?  

Please know, I'm still reading up on this latest development, so I'm not sure what's been said.

I'm honestly at a loss for words.  

I'm stunned by this news.  I wish I could help you in some way.

I know it's hard to stay calm, and I'm sure sweet Sammy is picking up on the vibes at hand, but try to stay calm.  

I'm hoping something will help change your landlords mind.

I'll be thinking about you and Sammy.

Be well my TCS friend.  

Hope

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my gosh Kelly, I'm so sorry.

I haven't been on in a few days, and this certainly wasn't the update I expected.  Along with everyone else, my heart is breaking for you.

What a crap landlord. is there any chance that the people asking about a cat, can stick up for you to help you get approval?  

Please know, I'm still reading up on this latest development, so I'm not sure what's been said.

I'm honestly at a loss for words.  

I'm stunned by this news.  I wish I could help you in some way.

I know it's hard to stay calm, and I'm sure sweet Sammy is picking up on the vibes at hand, but try to stay calm.  

I'm hoping something will help change your landlords mind.

I'll be thinking about you and Sammy.

Be well my TCS friend.  

Hope
Thank you Hope!   Yea, it's not good. My neighbor still says not to worry about it, that he's not gonna say anything else, but I just can't count on that.

I can't afford to. She did speak to the upstairs guy next door, & he said he didn't care, that he would say something to my landlord for me.

I really feel like it's the blind lady downstairs. (they are obnoxious, her & her boyfriend, also blind, will be nice to your face, but talk behind your back type. Like I've asked them something nicely before, & heard them bitching down there after!)

Back when she had a relative come visit, they brought their dog, & left to go somewhere, & the dog barked the whole time, so I called my landlord. He later told her that no one can visit & bring a dog. So i think that is the root of it!  I'm pretty sure! 

I thought if I wrote a little something up, just saying that they (all the neighbors) don't care if I have a cat, & they don't want pets, & sign it, & give it to him. 

Than maybe he will chill out & leave me alone. Since that's his main reason. 

I want to go down & talk to her, & say that I don't care if her relatives visit w/ the dog, I just don't want them to leave it there alone, to bark for hours. That is not fair. A cat is quiet.  I'd tell her that I wouldn't even say anything to my landlord. I just want her to say she doesn't care if I have a cat.

OTHERWISE, she does NOT want me to say this next thing to her. BUT, she is on assistance, & her boyfriend should not be living there all week. 

They stay downstairs all week, because she had aids that come, & then from Thurs. aftn, - Sun aftn. stay at his place.

I could get them in trouble w/ social services!! (& have people who know this as well & would agree to it to verify)

The only reason I haven't done that, is because they are relatively quiet, & through the years, I have not had great neighbors down there!  So kind of want to keep them, because it could be worse! someone w/ small kids,  loud music etc... It's pretty quiet around here. I'd like it to stay that way.  I don't need anymore stress! 

SO, for now, that's what I've been thinking of doing. Talk to her, & get everyone to sign something. Hopefully it will work, & not piss him off more. That's my fear!   Then I can tell him, I'm just asking for a chance, for him to be fair. That I didn't intentionally go out & adopt! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, trying not to stress about something else, but Sammy has been inside since 12:30 in the afternoon yesterday, It's now almost 3:00, & he hasn't used the litter box. (26 & 1/2 hrs!)  

Because of what Angel went through, I worry about that stuff.  

So, I have been visualizing him going in the box, then going & laying down to nap.  I'm going to keep doing that.  ( I even picked him up & put him in it, & he just jumped out.)

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speak to your landlord again. Say you will do anything to keep Sammy. This guy must be decent deep inside. Maybe he had a run of grumpy days & took it out on you. Ask him again & I will say a prayer that he will change his mind.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Also, trying not to stress about something else, but Sammy has been inside since 12:30 in the afternoon yesterday, It's now almost 3:00, & he hasn't used the litter box. (26 & 1/2 hrs!)  

Because of what Angel went through, I worry about that stuff.  

So, I have been visualizing him going in the box, then going & laying down to nap.  I'm going to keep doing that.  ( I even picked him up & put him in it, & he just jumped out.)
It might help if you dug up some dirt from outside and put it as a layer on top of the litter.  I've never tried that but have read that it can do the trick.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how helpful this link will be but it's for registering a pet as an ESA:

https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-animal.html

In it, is a link for the certification for your need for an ESA. It looks like this can be completed online. My vague understanding is that once Sammy is registered as an ESA, your landlord has to allow him. At least that is the way it is here in Oregon. I don't know if state laws vary. My neighbor has a dog in her apartment despite rules against having dogs because he is a registered ESA.

I hope this helps you and Sammy. Don't lose hope yet!! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if you can find a little bit his HIS poop around the house and place that in the litter box, that might encourage him to use it too.  The poop will have his scent on it of course, so do give it  a try if you can find some. 

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just did a quick search and it looks like ESAs are actually covered under Federal law not state law, which is good.
I'm a paralegal and would be happy to search the laws further (especially tenant law in your state) for you should you decide to pursue this and get push back from your landlord.