I've been adopted again! Kind of long,(sorry) & picts! :)

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, that is terrible news  
!!! I am so sorry to hear that you can't keep Sammy. I suspect some bad pet owners made the landlord take these actions. I hope you can find Sammy a good home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly, that is terrible news   :( !!! I am so sorry to hear that you can't keep Sammy. I suspect some bad pet owners made the landlord take these actions. I hope you can find Sammy a good home.
Thanks Eric. I am so upset. I started crying again when I got in the shower tonight.
I hadn't eaten anything since this morning, so finally just ate some soup. I just can't believe this is happening! I was really hoping my cousin could take him, but she can't. She & my sister will ask around for me, but I just don't know.
I am going to make an appointment for him next week, if I can get in, to get his shots & have an exam. Then, I can also tell my vet about what's going on, & hopefully if I can't find anyone, they will take him.
I don't think they would normally do that, but given the situation, & the fact that I am established w/ them, I'd hope they would. Kitten season doesn't help though. I know when I went to pick up the Advantage last wk, all the adoption cages were all kittens!!
It also makes me so sad to think k that I can never have a kitty again, as long as I live here, & I just can't afford to move. As much work as I have done to this place, I would, if it meant I could keep Sammy.
There is just no place for a little as I am paying. Especially for the amount of space I have.
Please pray for me, this is really really hard. My heart is broken, ...as if I haven't been through enough this year!! :sniffle:

Last edited:

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm so sorry! Is there any way you could built a catio outside, something fenced? If Sammy is outside (supposedly, maybe something just for show?), would your landlord be OK with that? I found this kind of thing really unfair btw. Maybe wait a few days and see if you could talk with him again? Or maybe his wife/partner would be more receptive?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this Kelly. I really am upset and angry about the whole thing on your behalf.

Is there anyway you could get Sammy registered as a Support Animal? I don't know very much about that, I've heard some people in the US get around having pets in No Pet apartments that way.

@Lyzzie  idea about an outdoor catio and Sammy "supposedly" being an outdoor cat might work too.

If I was in the US I'd take him. Fingers crossed that you find some way around this.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all of you for your support & suggestions, but no, I did go back out, also obvious that I'd been balling, & it was all no!
No matter what I said, keep him inside/ pay deposit. etc...he wasn't budging, it was more of a matter of if he lets me, then he has to let everyone else. That if he allowed cats, then he'd have to allow dogs, & he wasn't having any of it.

As far as registering as an emotional support animal, well, I don't even have insurance, so don't know how that would even begin to happen, (& in time) & he'd still say no. He's being an ass. He said he wasn't trying to be but.. if he let me, he has to let them. (& that not everyone was as clean & neat as I was). Etc.... Its his privatly owned property, so he's it! Legally he did tell me after Angel passed, no more animals, but I was hoping he wouldnt find out, or just let it slide, which, if no one had said anything, he may have. If I tried to defy him in anyway, which there is no where to go on that, he would just raise the rent, & I can only afford what I'm paying now, or I'd move for sure!
Even if I knew someone I would even be close to rooming w/ I couldn't afford 1/2 of a 3 bedroom house, & w/ my massage Office, that's what I'd need. Plus then, I'd have to pay more,having two rooms.
This just sucks all the way around! I just can't believe, I can never have another kitty, as long as I'm here.
I need to win the publishers clearing house lottery!!!! .....Or a husband with his own house!
This is all so surreal!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sad to read this How on Earth can an animal lover be Living in a non-Pet home? How can your landlord be that mean. Were you not a model pet owner?

He's a misserable grouch Why can't you look into having a  'Therapy Cat assigned by your DOCTOR"  Keep Sammy Fingers crossed 

posted before reading all pages......if prescribed by your doctor that's all he needs to tell the neighbors they should all back off.  You already 

had a cat!  Perhaps this landlord wants you to consider moving if he won't work with you regarding the cat?  :(

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your situation.  17 years in one place is a long time, especially if you are renting.  I can relate to your situation in a way.  I too have lived (rented) in the same house for 17 years myself.  I was forced to move or pay $100.00 per month more on my rent.  The bottom line was the wanted to sell the house.  This all happened 7 months ago for me.  I moved to a different house, just 1 block away from the old, and my landlords are now very close friends of mine.  I was scared and unsure about moving.  When you live for that amount of time in one place, it can be intimidating to make that change.  I am so much happier now than I could imagine!!  Maybe life is telling you it is time to make that change as well.  I cannot imagine allowing a bad situation dictate the way one is going to live.  I do understand that every situation is different and maybe the bottom line for you is that you will have to give up Sammy, but please make sure that is the last resort.  Of course, don't get yourself evicted, but pray and see what else may possibly be in store for you.  Sometimes situations come up such as this to force us to make a change which in the end will be the best thing we ever did!!  Something to think about, anyway.  We all will keep posted and do know our hearts out here in TCS world are rooting for you.  By the way, I live in south Georgia.  Where abouts in NC do you live??  Please feel free to pm me if you like. 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
This is very upsetting. Sounds like he is an ass and maybe it's time to review your options. Is it possible your mom can take him until you can find another place? Maybe consider another field of work? It's scary when things get slapped on your head and I really don't understand why he is doing this. I have no clue why he doesn't just let you keep the cat with a pet deposit. I am very upset for you. I only know if I was forced to give up my animals I would find another place to live. I couldn't be happy in a petfree home. I just couldn't do it. Is it possible you can look into purchasing a mobile home in a park? I find my expenses cheaper than any apartment fees and no one on or next to me. I just disgusted with how greedy people are. What does your mother think? I know you guys are very close. I am so very angry for your situation Kelly. I know we already have 2 cats but I would help you if I was in your area. I so wish someone could come forward and help you. What about any elderly people that you know? He seems like a low key cat. I know this is a shock and I really don't understand why this man doesn't grow a set of balls and just allow you your pet and stick to his guns with other people. It amazes me how people now adays have no backbone. If you could I would tell you to move up here in NH but I know you don't want to be away from your family and friends. Sending you lots of hugs. See if there is anyone looking for someone to rent out an apartment out of an elders house. Those kind are usually much easier to rent from than young people in my experience. Keep an open mind Kelly.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Im hunting the craigslist posts in your area=there are a few who have houses for rent to own. Would that be something you would be interested in? I imagine after 17 years in one place you would want to own it eventually. Sending you hugs. I hope we can help you figure something out. I am just so angry at your landlord. I have never seen a cleaner person than you and I would think he would want you to stay. if I owned that property I would much rather have someone older mature and quiet than the alternative. So angry for you!!! Have you glanced at any of the stuff on craigslist? At least where you know quite a bit of people in your area maybe you can network and get to know whoever is looking for a new tenant so you don't go blindly into a new situation. HUGS!!!! 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally don't condone this for things like carrying around to the stores with people... but can he be an emotional support animal? He kinda is really, especially after what you went through when losing Angel.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally don't condone this for things like carrying around to the stores with people... but can he be an emotional support animal? He kinda is really, especially after what you went through when losing Angel.
This guy sounds like such a jerk that he may possible evict her for trying something like that.  I personally would not trust his "kindness of heart" to accept a cat as a therapy cat.  This jerk sounds stoic and seriously doubt that would work with him.  I would hate to see her get evicted in just trying to keep her beloved cat with her.  Besides, I am certain Kelly has no history of any type of "emotional unstableness"

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you mazie, you are right, & thanks to everyone for your support. Unfortunately, I pay very little in rent, & I simply can not afford to live elswhere. Especially with anyone, as I have a whole household of things myself. I am pretty sure that I can not afford to rent a house, even to own. I had thought of that in the past, but w/ my income being what it is right now, especially after losing two clients in the past two yrs. I can't imagine living animal free either, but I just don't have a choice. I have seen garage apts cost more than what I'm paying for a two bedroom. The only reason my rent is so low, is because 1, it's an old house that doesn't have central heat or air, so the gas heater on the wall in my living room you see is my heat. That's why I put in ceiling fans when I moved in. I have window unit airconditioner. 2, I have done a lot of improvements here over the years all myself, as you have seen. In fact, he hasn't even seen the living room floors, since I pulled up that crappy carpet, & painted the floors. I'm a little afraid he might get rid of me, to get more money from someone else.
Trust me, if I could, id move, but id have to have a two bedroom for my office. I don't do a lot of clients anymore, now that I have my cleaning. Business, but what I do have helps a little.
Plus my trades.
So a roommate situation wld mean a 3 bedroom house, which I couldn't afford, especially taking two rooms.
As for another job. No, I just can't work for anyone anymore. Not after working for myself. It was never ideal for me either. I don't like to be micro managed, etc.. & at this point, pay scale here is so low, that I'd be lucky to find a job making 10-12 an hr, & I just don't have the computer knowledge needed. It's been so long, & never had a lot to begin with. Plus, I'd have to be somewhere all day vs/ can make the same amount doing one house or so cleaning that I'd make sitting all day somewhere.
Then I wouldn't even be home much for a pet.
It does suck, because I do feel stuck.
I am really striving to make ends meet now, so another place just isn't an option.

As far as an older couple for Sammy, I don't think k so. He can be chill, but he is only 2 or 3, so also needs play time, & would want someone who could handle him transitioning to indoor only.
It was already hard to keep him in during the storm, he pawed at the door a lot, dispute claiming treats, & spray.
I am just having anxiety about this, and it's not good for my blood pressure!

I did think of another person who may be a possibility. A few wks ago when I went to my cousins wedding in Raleigh, I met her B.f. Mark, who had just lost his calico the week before to cancer, so I don't know if it would be too soon, but I know it would be a good home.
When my mom gets home from church I will call & see if she has my cousins number, if not she has her mom's. Id like to email this guy, as not to make him feel put on the spot. I'll explain the urgency as well.
We talked a lot, because we sat by each other at the dinner.

No, my parents can't take him they just aren't really cat people, wouldn't have to patients w/ him transitioning to inside & think my dad would let him out. He wasn't good with sticking to things w/ their old cat. Like he was already very big, but he would feed him more, & he would end up feeding him earlier & not sticking to a time for structure. My mom tried to tell my dad, & would fuss at him about it, but he didn't listen, & they would just end up arguing, & I don't want sammy around that either!
The cat they had was left by a neighbor, & was older & very inactive, just laid around, so was very easy. He ended up having a tumor, & had to be p.t.s., just a month or so after Angel was. I suspect he had it for a while, but never knew, because he wasn't taken to the vets until something bad happened, & they ended up at the hospital. My dad thought as long as he was fine, he didn't need to go, but I'm sure he learned his lesson on that!
It's sad, but I told my mom, if it were just her, & they had a screened in porch, I'd let her take him, because she knows a lot, because I tell her everything. My dad is old school, so wasn't interested I learning anything new. Plus, they are busy, & gone a lot. I just think someone who is more cat knowledgeable would be better. I could see Sammy getting out easily at my parents.
They couldn't handle him.

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Kelly, I am really sorry to hear about what's going on with Sammy.   If it doesn't work out with your cousin's boyfriend, Mark, you might go back and take another look at claiming Sammy as an emotional support animal.  He will then be able to stay with you and your landlord will have an explanation to give other people who ask why you have a pet.  Here is some information on emotional support animals:

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=mHq8GV0FI4c=&tabid  (This article deals specifically with housing.)

You have been a good tenant.  Someone who has been around for 17 years, paid their rent on time and not made any trouble is gold to a landlord.  Yes, there are exceptions when a landlord wants to raise rents drastically or clear the building, but generally someone like you is a tenant from heaven.  The landlord almost certainly does not want you to leave.  I would discuss the matter of emotional support animals up front with him and find out how he would respond if you actually pursued this path.  Would it make him angry?  Or would it give him an excuse to make an exception in your case?  Try and get a sense of how supportive he would be.  After all, he did look the other way when Angel was with you so he's not completely heartless.

Also, just an aside:  it is possible to permit cats in rental housing and still forbid dogs.  My last apartment building was like that.

Good luck.  I really, really hope it works out.  

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kelly's landlord comes across as an uneducated hick. He owns numerous properties, but is too lazy and/or cheap to make repairs (replacing the water heater is an exception), or upgrade anything, so Kelly has done a lot herself.

This is one of the problems of being a renter. You're at the mercy of the landlord, even if he has the I.Q. of a soap dish.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Margd, Thank you, but yea, I think it would just make him more mad, raise rent, or whatever.  I just don't feel like I'd be able to even get that done. I don't have Insurance. I see a nurse practitioner on a slide scale pay, & I don't think he would have the credentials, or authority to do that. 

My landlord would know its a ploy, & I don't think he'd go for it, because if that were the case, so to speak, I would have that already in place, had asked his permission, etc.... He is just not moving from no being the answer.

I have looked on craigslist, other sites etc.. but there are no places for as low as I can only afford to pay. Believe me, if I could move, I would, but even double wide trailers are at least 2-3 hundred more than I am paying.

PLUS, down here, any "trailer parks" are trashy, noisy, etc.... Not like nice established ones I have seen up,north.  I've only seen one that wasn't, & had actual space & land between them, etc,, & it was all the way over on the other side of town. All of my clients are on this side w/in 9 miles, except for one. I may check it out, but I probably can't afford that either, IF any are available.  I barely have enough space here, they would be much smaller, I just don't know. It's just really hard to deal with all of this in such a short time frame.  He didn't give me a date, but as I said before, he said it wouldn't be two months either, so I feel like I only have a month to do all of this.....so many directions, just so much to deal with!

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you're going through this; it's one of those "worst nightmare" scenarios for me..

Some people have mentioned having him certified as an emotional support animal. This is my own plan for when I feel I'm financially ready to move back home, though I was always fortunate to find houses to rent from landlords who didn't care how many cats I had. On the move out here, I needed to stay at my former partner's new apartment for awhile. I had my therapist write a note, stating that my cats were emotional support animals, basically. It was accepted by the apartment managers, and we were allowed to stay there. Obviously that's a completely different scenario. However, I think you would be protected from eviction if you went the official route(actual certification). Also, it sounds like you've been a great tenant. I don't know how difficult the process is where you are but I know it can be a massive hassle to evict even non-paying tenants. It's really not in his best interest to evict a long-term, quality tenant.

I really don't know how easy it would be to have him as an emotional support animal. I have a documented history of anxiety/depression, PTSD, and so on. I also understand not wanting to anger a landlord. I really hope you can find a solution.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Edit didn't go through, I guess.  I just read your last reply.  It doesn't sound like it's a good solution for you.  I hope you can find a good home for beautiful Sammy.