Is my cat going into labor???

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is she doing now?  Have you seen any water leakage?  I think you said the mucus plug came out 2 or 3 days ago?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sill no kittens but she is doing pretty good. Being calm and everything but still doesn't like to be toughed for very long. A few mins is okay but nothing more. I haven't seen any leaking what so ever and as for her mucus plug.....It wasn't all of it. I think it was just a little bit of it cause a like dime size more came out just yesterday morning. Other than that nothing new :/ Her vet did say it could take up until the middle of this week which is probably the latest it would take. He thinks if it doesn't happen by then that she is probably overdue. He said to wait as long as possible for them to come but if they aren't here by this weekend or early next week to bring her in and he will check on the development of the kittens and may (but hopefully not) have to do a c-section. I hope she doesn't need one but if she absolutely does go too far over due then i have the money on hand for her to have it done. Best wishes that she is able to just deliver them without having any medical interventions!  

Last edited:

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep....sadly but still waiting. I will update when something new occurs. Till then i will just use this thread for any questions i have. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to wait for your cat to go into labor. She most likely will do so on her own and deliver her litter naturally. It is the exception to the rule otherwise. Very few cats ever need a C-section.

My vet did an x-ray on the pregnant stray I took in last March. She was huge - as in looked like she swallowed a basketball. However, vet said 7-10 days more. 12 days later she had 4 kittens naturally. No help needed. Just be patient!

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Any update yet @Lovelife  
@Brigittesmomma  Still playing the waiting game! Mama is in a good mood though. She loves having me rub her belly. That is unusual for her. Today when I was rubbing her belly, the kittens started responding to what I was doing. I saw the perfect outline on her lower side belly area, of a kitten head. I also got to rub a tiny arm. I could see/feel the perfect outline of the little arm, right down to each individual finger/claw. Based on the size of the kittens I could feel I would say they are ready to pop out. 

My vet told me that it isn't unusual for some cats to go as long as 70 days before delivering, especially if it is a big litter of 5 or more kittens. But, if we get to day 72 with no kittens, then he wants me to bring Mama back for another exam to see if we need to give her more time or what. He wasn't overly concerned about her nursing my younger cat. Said it is providing relief for her since the milk builds up in their nipples once it is in. Told me once she has her babies she will stop getting my younger cat to nurse. Based on what I was observing today with the kittens in her belly, I will be surprised if they are not born by Wednesday. 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also my vet said she should have them by next week but other then that she would be well over due and need a c-section based on the development of the kittens. He said they look healthy and since they dropped about 4 days ago or so then they definitely should be here by next week. I'm sure she will go into labor and do just fine so i am going to wait until i feel like she may need help or her and her kittens may be at risk. But i don't think it will come to that...hopefully not. So i am waiting just to let everyone know that. I don't want her to have to get any surgery done and i will wait as long as safely possible 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well still no kittens sadly....She has been in her spot she has chosen all day so hopefully that counts for something. She has also been licking not just her "area" and her stomach but her whole body now. Like i went to check on her and her whole entire back and stomach was really wet from her licking. She is doing it so much that there have been little tufts of hair on the blanket she lays on. Any day now! Thank you all for being there for me and joining this waiting game with me! :D

Last edited:

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey sorry about the delay everyone. I've been busy cleaning the house up and my power was out for a bit there and my computer died. But Brigitte is still sitting in her birthing spot....nothing ne is happening but there is one little thing. She is still lickimg herself a lot but now even i go to check on her there have been little tufts of hair on the blanket she lays on. Idk why she keeps loosing hair but it is coming mainly from her tummy area. I guess it is either from the licking or she is sheading. Idk what else to do but wait.....no signs of labor at all....no meowing now, she is eating normally....just no signs at all. She acts like a totally normal non pregnant cat but she still doesn't move from her nesting spot unless it is for the bathro or food. Still waiting though :/

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Brigittesmomma  the morning Mama had her kitten she was doing that too. I read cats do that so that the kittens can easily access the nipples.