Is my cat going into labor???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Lovelife  Yea i figured that she would start doing that but she was doing that about a week ago too lol. This time though she is actually loosing hair. 

Last edited:

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When does your vet want you to check in again?
Well when i called him a few days ago and told him we still don't have kitties he said that nature will take it's course and to wait for her to do it on her own unless i feel she needs medical attention. He said by all mean that if she hasn't at least started the laboring process by this next weekend then to bring her in and he will make sure everything is okay and that a c-section is not needed. So i am going to wait until next weekend and see what happens.

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my cat, we aren't sure of when she is due since she is a new rescue. Vet said 2 weeks ago she felt she would have them within the next 2 weeks...still pregnant! Last night she pawed on the door until I would sit with her and today she has been going back and forth between 2 nest spots and sleeping a bunch! Waiting is so hard! Lol

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same exact situation as both of you. My vet also said maybe a week if not sooner and that was about 2 weeks ago! I have been feeling her kitties move for about 3 and 1/2 weeks now but still no babies! Is it possible that she may just have like a lot of kittens in there and I might have felt them sooner than 7 weeks gestation (like around 5 and 1/2 or 6 weeks possibly)??? cause if she was 7 weeks around the time i felt them then she should have had them by now. I am pretty sure that is what happened either that or she is quite late. If she was 7 weeks pregnant when i felt them then she would be around 10 weeks today and that is really long for a cat to be pregnant but i heard that they can go as long as 72 days? Maybe that is what is going on with her??? idk I'm so beyond confused at this point. Any help and advice would be very nice and well appreciated at this point haha. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats on the site have gone 75 days.  If you are feeling movement and there is no odd colored or smelly discharge I don't think you need to worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
70-72 days is not unusual. My cat went 68 days. An overdue cat will show signs of distress or abnormal bleeding or discharge. There will be some labor even if it is not productive.

If you are still seeing kitten movement, it's likely that she is not as far along as you and your vet thought, and your cat is not yet ready to give birth.

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she should be here soon but i am not sure when exactly. I'm pretty sure she is at least around 8 or almost 9 weeks now either way. Only time can tell when they will be here though i guess :) It will be sooner or later and i am okay with waiting...just excited to finally see them 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, everyone, i have some possible bad news. Brigitte got outside earlier around 10:00 pm. My mom came over and went outside to smoke and she left the main door open (and our screen door doesn't close all the way) and she snuck out. I am absolutely sure that she has gotten outside because i have checked literally every single closet, dresser drawer, cabinet, laundry basket, and under/in every single area in my house with no sign of her. I even went out side shaking her food bowl full of fresh food hoping she would hear it and come to me but nothing. I even looked under my house, under my mamaw's trailer (neighbor) and under my aunts house (other neighbor) and still no sign of her. I put food out all over the place in case she comes out to look for food when she gets hungry. Do you guys think she possibly could have picked a spot outside to have them before she came back home about a month ago (since she was around 6 to 7 weeks pregnant when she came back)? or has she went outside to find a place to have them since she is due literally any day now??? I am so worried for her and the kittens. Will the kittens survive out in this cold??? and when do pregnant cats that get out and have their babies usually return or come out of hiding? i have soo many concerns. PLEASE help me and let me know what you all think!?!? 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found her!!!! thank god! but my question now is how can i tell if she had them or not??? i mean she didnt have any blood or anything on or near her girly bits bit her "opening" looks very....well open. Quite a bit more than normal too so maybe she is just about to have them or maybe she already did around the time she got out and already had time to clean herself and dry off??? Idk but what should i do to figure out if she already gave birth or not??? I don't want to let her back outside just in case she has not had them yet because she needs to have them inside for obvious reasons such as the cold weather and snow...but what should i do?? if she did have them i may need to let her back out and watch her but what if she runs off and hides from me?  Should i go sit and look around some more where she was at when i found her??? when i found her she was across the railroad tracks and i followed her paw prints in the snow and they didn't seem to lead me to any kittens and she wasn't showing as much as she was the week before she just got out so i can't determine if she has had them by her size....what should i do?? and (i know i asked the just above but i dont want anyone to forget to answer the main question at hand) how can i tell if she has had them or not? Also i just finished giving her a bath and i showed my husband her tummy and he said her her tummy looks like she swallowed a melon

Please any advice at all will be gratefully accepted! 

Last edited:

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sooooo glad you found her!! I would not let her back out. Can you feel kittens inside her? When Mama had her baby her opening was still huge a few hours after he was born. And, she had blood spotting for about 24 hours after having her baby. Plus blood on herself from the labor. That took awhile to get clean. If she had them, would she have left them? Personally, I would go back out and follow her tracks on the snow and see if you can figure out where she was. Listen for little meows and stuff. If she did have them, I would think that somewhere along the snow tracks there would be spots of blood. 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I looked when i found her and there was no sign of blood or anything plus her bottom was completely dry and i can still feel kittens inside of her tummy so she has not had them yet. Thank goodness she didn't have them out there! Now back to keeping her healthy and back to the waiting game till this weekend lol. 

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you found her! After all this, to have her lost in the cold and snow would be just unbearable. Take good care of the little lady.

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea i don't know what i would have done if i didn't find her. Her and her babies mean the world to me. I'm so happy she's back home, warm and cozy 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay...she hasn't had them yet but i just have a question. Is it normal for her slow down on eating and start drinking a ton of water??? I mean like i have had to refill the water side of her trey back up about every 5 to 10 mins for the past day or so. Why is she drinking so much water? I don't get it....do pregnant cats usually do this before labor? So confusing...... 

curiouskitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That does seem like a lot of water. My cat is definitely drinking more than she has but nothing like that. Were you able to ask your vet?