Is my cat going into labor???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Maybe you should get out the BRANDY - for you.  It might make the waiting easier.  If you already have it handled - take a breath and kick back.

My mom raised Canaries, tea cup chihawas (Can't spell that at this hour!), and Siamese kittens!!  I grew up at an early age with the "Miracle  of LIFE". She helped pay off a house with all of those AKC babies.  But it has been looong time ago!
Haha I can wait for the brandy rotfl. I have patience i just dont want to go to sleep and her need me. She has been very clingy lately as i said :)

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom told me in the old westerns when a woman was in labor -

They said "Boil some water, someone get the whiskey", etc.  She said it was NOT for the BIRTH - It was for "HOT TODDY's"

I will be watching for the cute baby pictures you will post and brag about!

A couple more "deliveries" and you will be an old hand at this like some of us out here.

But IF the vet is right - you can't stay awake for days. Try to "CAT NAP" yourself.  mom cat will come wake you up, or quietly have them and you will have a morning surprise.

Again, the very best of luck and lots of healthy babies and a happy mom cat. (Happy that IS over!)

A friend told me when she had her 1st child - she screamed, "How could something that felt sooo good...  HURT SOOO MUCH!??"

C.

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha i know the feeling as i have a daughter of my own. She's 4 & 1/2 months so i cant wait to see my baby kitty momma get to see and have her babies C: ill update soon with pics and plenty of bragging! Promise! Thank you all for the help. You really made a difference! 

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
P.S.

I recommend the :CAT OWNER'S SURVIVAL MANUAL, BY CLAIRE HORTON-BUSSEY AND DAVID GODFREY

The Pics are awesome and the cartoons are wild! If you can't buy it, borrow one or see if the library has one. I think you will enjoy it and the knowledge in it is simple, well written and hysterical.

Plus, it has good solid info. Just having a good book can help keep you calm in a panic situation. (That is all of "us" out here did - was let you know YOU were NOT ALONE. As you said, you did this once before and have done your home work and read up on it. Sometimes that counts for more than actual knowledge - Moral Support and there seems to be a lot of people that offer it up! I was just checking in on some one else and saw your post.  I seemed to be the only one for a while and then people started waking up and jumping in.  With all of us - you felt more secure IF there was a problem - maybe ONE of us would have answers.

I know my" creds" don't  really matte here, but I Volunteered with PROJECT WILDLIFE, FOSTERED MANY WILD BABIES AND  MANY LITTERS OF ABANDONED FERAL KITTENS AND MORE KITTENS!  I have tube fed wild birds, mammals and worked with injured  and baby raptors.  I raised a baby Hummingbird in my living room, where we had "Flight Practice".

All while breeding and training German Shepherds for protection,  of private persons and Security Companies.  My property was posted every 25 feet with signs that read: TRESSPASSORS, PLEASE HAVE  I.D. - WE NOTIFY NEXT OF KIN!  No Door to Door Salesmen ever came to my door. Ha! Ha!

I am one of the first FEMALE,  Bail Recovery Agents, ( "Bounty Hunters"), in California, if not the whole U.S.  I started in 1972, when there were NO FEMALE Officers working for Police or Sheriff's in this area. I also did Prisoner Transport by car, van, bus and Air Transport.  I am a former Peace Officer.  In and out of prisons and other institutions and situations, I have seen it all!

So, I do have some knowledge of animals and keep my "cool", in tough situations.  ( My ex-husband told people, "Cindy has more BALLS that a POOL TABLE and more GUTS than a SLAUGHTER HOUSE."  And I gave my Poor Mother, every gray hair on her head!

I might suggest that you have some items on hand, in a kit. In case you ever need them.  A bulb syringe (Like you probably have from your human baby), to suction kitty airways, an electric heating pad, stethoscope, some PET nursing  bottles with different style  nipples (some rounded & some more pointed, with different size holes)., a few cans of KMR, (Kitten milk replacement), warm and feed-no mixing required at 4:00am!  Stainless Steel Sissors, Clamps, cotton crochet thread, etc..  You can gradually collect all of these and more. I keep them in a small backpack in the closet - ready to go.  (Last winter 4 new born kittens were abandoned ,with no nourishment in 24 hours! The Police Officer gave me "Custody of them", at 1:00am".  It embarrassed him when  I immediately started stuffing them into my cleavage to warm them!  They were Ice Cold! I had everything ready and at hand. When something happens - I am prepared - STILL.  Unfortunately all 4 died.  But with warmth, full bellies and in my loving arms.)

If you belong to "FREECYCLE",  you can ask for some of this stuff and nurses, para- medics, etc. may have some to donate to you.  Yard sales, swap meets and even your Vet may help .It sounds like this will NOT be your last litter, in your life time. It is an addiction for most people.

I will wait for your pictures and be envious of your babies, that I love soooo much!

It will be great for your daughter to grow up with baby animals!

Cindy

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The labia won't dilate. Dilation is in the cervix, and that is at the end of the vagina, some distance inside her. You couldn't see it dilating unless you stuck something up there to hold the labia and vagina open. Don't do that; you could injure the kitty.

The kittens are probably pressing against her bladder and expressing some urine. She can't control that. Don't worry about it; clean her up if you need to.

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the info @sneakyblonde  and i have almost everything you mentioned on my nightstand on the other side of my bed, all sterilized and ready to go...i even have gloves ready (i don't trust touching them that early with my hands even though they will be thoroughly washed!) haha. And i read somewhere that her actual vulva will look more open and possibly swollen/more pink? Is that true? Also I believe she has picked her birthing spot but unfortunately i will have to move her into my room during the night times. I live in a 2 story and the bottom of it is heated by a furnace which i cant keep a fire going all night so it gets really really cold down stairs at night time. Do you think i could maybe let her have them down there during the day while it is warm and move them afterwards? (i put down a cotton blanket in the spot she likes with a silk one over it so the kittens claws dont get caught in the cotten one) or should i try and make sure she gives birth to the nesting spot i have madef for her in my room? (there is a heater in my room and in my daughters room to the top floor stays warm during the night)

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so the vet told me that her babies are moving towards the birth canal (belly dropped) and that is why she looked skinnier the other day but today she looks bigger than she was before she dropped. I am so lost on what is going on with her lol. She is also breathing fast on and off and purring even when i dont pet her. And she just made like a whimpering noise while i was typing this and now she is breathing fast again. I think she is in labor cause her tummy is getting harder every time she starts breathing fast. wish us luck! 

Last edited:

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing yet but she has been having some discharge for a little over an hour now. Soon enough the kitties will arrive! 

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No kittens on my end either, but Mama cat is like yours, having a bit of discharge. Talked to my vet and they told me what @Handsome Kitty  just said, could be another day or so. Waiting game is challenging isnt' it??

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea i slept last night but only bc she laid beside me the whole night :) I'm both patiently and non-patiently waiting 

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha can't wait for them to be here!! Ah i know i could be a couple of days from now but no matter what I'm still excited. 

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Sounds like you are set up as a Birthing center.  Good Job! Now we hope you don't need any of it but the camera!

I got home a bit a go after a very taxing day,  with no sleep last night. 

(My friend starts Chemo tomorrow... Then 6 weeks of radiation, one day off, six more weeks of radiation - REPEAT. I know she has to be terrified. Will she win this battle? Lose her hair? be to sick to get out of bed so, we spent the day together and laughed a lot!) 

So, how are things going?  Remember I told you CATS PURR from Pleasure and Pain?

It sounds like she is entering the final stage  and ready to "push", she is entering the final stage like a human. And like a human every birth is different. 

Her nipples should be a bit of "extra Pink" and "Plumping" with Colostorum., (please don't expect my to spell when I am  this sleep deprived.!) 

That is the very first fluid that comes out of the nipple with immunity from mom, so the babies are protected from all mom's vaccinations, etc.. Often referred to as  "Wonder Milk".  My best guess is  you are about to have "Grand Kitties" in the next 12 hours.

Did you notice if Mom's temperature has  had that "Drop" ?  That has always been " a sure and measurable sign, Labor is under way."

As for where SHE wants to "Nest", I say let her have her choice.  Mom will keep them warm.  She will only very briefly leave her nest for food and water, etc.  Sometimes animals WILL eat their young if you mess with and move the nest. Do you have an electric heating pad to put under the blankets? If it is terribly cold, you can put it under the bedding. CAREFUL - NOT TOO WARM!  BABIES CAN HAVE "FEBRILE SEIZURES"  FROM TOO HIGH OF A HEAT SETTING.  Just a little warm to the touch and to help mom get warm again after deliver. .I put mine under a cardboard box, with lots of folded towels. GO FOR  It "DOES NOT FEEL COLD", COMPARED TO "IT IS WARM".

If in the following days, IF you MUST  handle the kittens, ALWAYS PET MOM FIRST, SO YOUR "HUMAN STINK" Is not so strong.. Gloves or no gloves.  Mom's sent will mask yours when you pet mom first. And mind your fingers!  Mom may LOVE You -But she has HORMONES AND NEW RESPONIBILITIES NOW!

JUST LIKE YOU. YOU WOULD NOT  LIKE SOME ONE "MOVING"  YOUR DAUGHTER, ( without your knowledge). AND THAT WAS NOT WHERE YOU WANTED HER OR LEFT HER!!.

MOM KITTY -  MAY "DRAG THEM OUT", like beauty contestants, JUST TO "SHOW THEM OFF" . I had a crazy Queen that wanted US,  to "OOH!" and "AAAAHH!" over Her beautiful babies!  I wanted sleep, but had to "encourage" mom to keep them in the nest!

Up and down stairs is not her idea of fun, or safe. She is probably thinking,  "COULD YOU JUST GO WATCH THE DARN T.V.??! - INSTEAD OF ME??"   "I have  important things to do here!"   (She probably wishes she could go to a "commercial break" about now!! HA! HA! )

Cats usually have simple births, without complications. Have you slept at all?  Please, try too get a couple of hours at least. 

Mom cats are like human women - she may start Squirting babies and after birth out like a Remington Repeater, or One with an hour delay, after birth and then another baby, Repeat, Repeat, etc.hour or so.

(I haven't, but I will soon.  It has been a very, very long day.  With a lot of walking on four broken pelvic bones.  I am about shot.  I don't drink - But that "Brandy," sounds pretty good about now. I will be up for a bit. I am waiting for PAIN meds and Muscle relaxer to help before  I try bed.(I was gone ALL day and Ashes is ready to go to bed and cuddle with some "one on one time.

I AM GOING TO BE HERE FOR A BIT - IF I DON'T FALL ASLEEP IN MY CHAIR. I am headed for some coffee to "boost" my pain meds in SPEED  and STRENGTH!

Later,

Cindy

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hI,

p.s.

I DON'T KNOW WHERE ALL THE EXPECTANT CATS ARE ...

BUT A falling barometer , WITH A STORM COMING IS LIKELY TO TRIGGER LABOR!

Wish you were ALLhere!  My storm from the Pacific will be here - SOON and the barometer is CRASHING!

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Storms trigger labor? lol didnt know that was a fact haha and yes i have slept but only with her beside me, she doesn't mind being with me anyways (obviously lol) And yea i have a heating pad and everything else ready but i mean it gets freeeezing cold down stairs. This was my papaws old house and we moved in after he passed away and ther are a lot of windows and door that either have cracks or wont stay shut so the cold gets in too much. It is even enough to make upstairs a little cold even with my heater on up here so it is really really cold. That is why i want to make sure the kittens are in here and also my sister has a dog downstairs (he isnt big but he can be too playful and pesty) otherwise i would let her have them and keep them wherever she wanted. And haha, Birthing center and i already have my camera ready too! I'm all set and ready to go!