Is my cat going into labor???

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is 3:00 am my time.So here WE go!

Is she purring, loudly?  Cats purr for pain and pleasure. I am going to glance at the book - quick and will be right back. (It has been 30 years since I did this. But I am sure it will all come back! C.

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find anything on google either. @sneakyblonde  does your vet book say how long after the mucus? 
The guy I talked to at the er vet told me it could be a few hours or a few days after losing the mucus plus. 

My Mama cat let me feel her belly it is firmer, but I can feel the kittens more now than over the past few days. 

lovelife

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol @Brigittesmomma  glad to see I am not the only one up with a pregnant cat! I don't know whether to go to bed or stay up? Maybe try to sleep but set the alarm every hour. 

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet - BUT you may have the 1st baby in 30 minutes.  Remain calm and give your mommy cat some comfort with soft words.

She should do all the work.

Do you know if she feels "cool"? the temp. will drop if she is in labor.

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You may not be able to see the contractions until they really get going.  I will not ask you to stick a thermometer up her butt, but can you pet her and see if she feels cooler than "normal" to you?  the hand is very sensitive and you can make a guess.

I don't know how much YOU know about kitten births...

She should "bit the sack and lick them vigorously to get them breathing and move it to a nipple. 

She will also eat the after birth.  If she has several afterbirths, start taking them away.BE SURE FOR EVERY KITTEN - THERE IS AN AFTER BITH. IF SHE RETAINS ONE IT CAN BE TROUBLE.  SO, YOU STAY CALM AND DO THE COUNTING. Let mom do the rest.

Has she been restless the last 24 hours?

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Kiddo,

Where did you go?

Did you get bored and fall asleep?

The last queen came between my husbands chair and mine - and gave a GRUNT!  We were giving her some privacy.  She DID NOT WANT PRIVACY - she wanted us with her!

I said, "I am going to shower, this could be a looong night."  He stuck his head in the shower in about 5 minutes and said, "The FIRST ONE IS BLACK!"

my cat had not read the vet book and ignored the vet.

so, it could go either way.

Cindy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been moving from spot to spot on my bed and cant seem to get comfortable so yea. And yea i've read up on a ton of stuff but i was just confused on dilation and the mucus plug. I do not know exactly how far along she is but compared to how small she usually is she is really big (to me that is) she isnt huge but compared to her old size she is. I am wanting to say she is around 8 and 1/2 weeks cause i could feel the kittens move around a week and a half ago when she came back home and i read that at 7 weeks you are able to fell fetal movement (i think that's right?) and it looks as if she has "dropped"..at least that is what the vet said.

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like labor IS starting.  Can you get her in a box, or get some towels under her? You don't want the mess, or babies rolling off the bed.

I will be here, you can update me.

I see there are several watching us, maybe they have more recent bithings than I do. 

excitedfonala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! Even though your probably as anxious as I was on Tuesday for Nala... the best thing you can do is stay calm. It took Nala from 2pm all the way up until almost 9:30 for her to start having real contractions!! Try not to worry too much about checking for dilation as it's just going to stress her out and make her hide. 99% of cats have kittens on their own without any assistance so only step in if you really think there is a problem. Good luck!!

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I already have her box beside my bed and ready with food, water, and litter tray beside it. And yea i am calm im just making sure i dont miss when her water breaks because she has been all over me lately (when i dont touch her tummy that is) so i know she wants me there for her. So i wanna know when to have everything ready. I have recent picture of here from where her belly has dropped if you all want me to post them i will by the way! 

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it is too late for pictures. Ha! Ha!

If you don't already have sissors, cotton twine, etc. sterilized in alcohol - now might be a good time to do that.  You may need a clean towel to stimulate the kitten, break the sack and cut the umbilical cord ---ONLY IF MOM CAT DOES NOT

STAY CALM AND QUIET AND RELAX.  MOM CAT SHOULD HAVE ALL OF THIS ON HER OWN.  bUT IF FOR SOME REASON SHE DOESN'T you MAY HAVE TO HELP.  mAYBE EVEN DELIVER A BREECH KITTY.  iT IS NOTHING TO PANIC OVER.  "Don't be scared - Be Prepared."

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you need to sear a cord, you can use your own nails, its ok.

dONT USE sharp scissors on fresh cord!

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea i have read up on some complications cats can have during labor and delivery and what i can do to help so i got this...its just the waiting game lol

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I wasn't clear - TO CUT COTTON CORD, or THREAD not umbilical cord. It can also be boiled and left in the water to cool.

Also, after the babies are born, and the nest is made.

I use canvas nailed or Velcro to a box (wood or cardboard), make a "hammock" so all the babies are in one place and mom doesn't lose one in the folds of a blanket. I used shredded news paper. It is asorbant, warm and easy to clean.

I looked and nothing about the length of time from mucus plug to first kitten. You don't know how MUCH plug there was - she could have cleaned up more earlier or has not passed barely any yet.

I am still out here, so you are not alone!  sometimes that is stressful.  As I said I am here if you have questions or problems and more people will be jumping in on this..  You should have a "group Effort here soon.

brigittesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thanks for the tip @sneakyblonde  and i have all of the supplies you mentioned and more ready to go. And the only reason why i get a little worried about this is because i couple of years ago i found a stray cat and took her in and found out she was pregnant. She was a very risk pregnancy and i had to revive 2 of her 6 kittens due to them being in the birth canal for too long. Her pregnancy was very complicated so i have never gotten to experience a normal cat's pregnancy and labor/delivery. So i know what to do if she needs help and if she doesn't need help, which i hope she wont but if it comes to that then i will most definitely be there for her. Thank you all so much and if you all have any extra info, advice, or any questions for me please feel free to add on to this thread! Thank you all so much and i will hopefully be updating you by sometime this weekend with some kitten pictures and info on the new babies!!!! 

Last edited:

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should get out the BRANDY - for you.  It might make the waiting easier.  If you already have it handled - take a breath and kick back.

My mom raised Canaries, tea cup chihawas (Can't spell that at this hour!), and Siamese kittens!!  I grew up at an early age with the "Miracle  of LIFE". She helped pay off a house with all of those AKC babies.  But it has been looong time ago!

sneakyblonde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be gone to a Dr. appt. from about 9:45 until they are done with me.

Best of luck to you and all the cute babies on the way!

Cheers,

Cindy

P.S. I will be watching for awhile.  no sleep, just a shower and off I go.

Last edited by a moderator: