I'm kicking the butts!!!!!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lots of stay strong vobes for you Keysha, I have officially been smoke free for over 10 weeks, and I'd be lying if I said I couldn't pick one up right now and start again. I was like you, it wasn't the nioctine, it was the actual act of smoking. I quit cold turkey and the first 2 weeks were the roughest, but if you can make it thru those, its all down hill. Just remember that the craving will pass, like Sadie'smom said, having a drink of water helped me as well as chewing gum or having anything to chew on actually. There were times when I was literally salivating
and hyper-ventilating for a cigarette but I held strong, I know you can do it too!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! I wish you both luck and success.

Now I have to tell you, I keep giggling when I see your thread title, because I so totally read it wrong.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Now I have to tell you, I keep giggling when I see your thread title, because I so totally read it wrong.
I did the same thing LOL. I had to read the thread to get the actual tital meaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

lots of stay strong vobes for you Keysha, I have officially been smoke free for over 10 weeks, and I'd be lying if I said I couldn't pick one up right now and start again. I was like you, it wasn't the nioctine, it was the actual act of smoking. I quit cold turkey and the first 2 weeks were the roughest, but if you can make it thru those, its all down hill. Just remember that the craving will pass, like Sadie'smom said, having a drink of water helped me as well as chewing gum or having anything to chew on actually. There were times when I was literally salivating
and hyper-ventilating for a cigarette but I held strong, I know you can do it too!
Congratulations!!!
Thats awesome! Thank you so much for the advice! I am making notes!
Keep up the great work, I know it won't be easy but we can do it!

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I did the same thing LOL. I had to read the thread to get the actual tital meaning.

It wasn't intentional I swear!

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YEAH....Congratulations!!!!!!

I have been smoke free for 18 months now. I quit cold turkey too. Like you and katiemae it was the act of smoking (psychological addiction) more than the physical addiciton. However I did get some massive cravings and I had a small box of Commit lozenges to help. I only used five during the "quitting process" but boy did I need them.

Even though I don't know you, I have to say I am proud of you. I know how hard it is........you go girl!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great!!
I used to smoke, too.
but I quit about 2 years ago.
You can do it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all you guys sooooo much!!!

I firmly believe a good support group is half the battle!!!

You guys rock!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congradulations!!!! That is such an awesome decision to make
We are all proud of you!! Your health will thank you too!
I have never smoked but i did completly give up soft drinks cold turkey back over 8 years ago. I was a total heifer for about a month there (i have them up to run competitve track/field). I haven't had one in 8 years and i can definitely tell that it was for the better.
Good luck hon! And ignore those cravings by staying active- go for a walk, clean, work out, chew gum, drink water, you name it- do it! The average craving only lasts about 10-15 minutes- so if you keep yourself distracted, you can get through it. Not to mention you have all of us supporting you!
You're going to do great

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

I want to be able to ride my bike, jog, play with my baby sister without choking for air.
Have you have your lungs checked out by a doctor? If it's that serious and you've smoked for a number of years you should probably consider it. Please do this, there are medications that can keep damage from getting worse.

My grandmother had emphysema, it was horrible to watch her degrade year after year, month to month. The last year before she died she was always sick, was in a wheel chair, and on oxygen 24/7.
My mother still smokes and whenever I talk to her on the phone I can hear what it's done to her lungs in her voice and her cough.

I hope you can beat this and kick the habit completely. If you have something you can keep your hands busy with it may help. If you have to have medicine to help do not think less of yourself, you need to be healthy for your family and yourself. Best of luck to you.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck!!!! i smoked from the age of 17 to 32. i did not have a problem stopping, guess i was luckly that way, As my uncle and aunt had one heck of time stopping. But they finally did it. they had been smoking over 30 years.

there is nothign wrong if you need the meds,

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on quitting!!! You are making a wonderful choice!!!

(oh, and my step mom after 20 yrs of not smoking, still will get a craving once in a blue moon
)

I care about my fur baby, and the people around me & don't want them to experience second hand smoke!

I don't want my car to be covered in fly away ashes....

I don't want my fingernails to be "yellowed"...... (btw, if they are yellowed, soak them in peroxide for several minutes....it will whiten them up!
)

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How's your smoke-free day going? Remember if you need support, we're here for you.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just caught this thread, and I want to say congrats on your decision. I was a heavy smoker for years, and quit cold turkey. If I can do it, I know you can, because I have absolutely no willpower. The worst part was coughing up all that yucky stuff that is collecting in your lungs, but once you get through that, you will feel so much better you will wonder why you didn't do it a long time ago.
Please keep us posted on your progress.