I'm kicking the butts!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the added support!!
You guys are so great!!

Today has been a roller coaster ride! Overall its been pretty good so far, I've just been really emotional today. Like, if someone looks at me wrong I start to cry and it takes quite a bit before I can stop!
I'm ok though. Getting through it. I think I've eaten half a bag of suckers today, and I find myself gnawing on the sticks when I'm done!

Congratulations to all of you who have already quit smoking! You guys give me tons of inspiration!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I chewed gum all the time, literally there was not a moment of the day where I did not have a piece of gum in my mouth
and a couple pens got gnawed too
congrats on your first day!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

WOOHOO your first day is down. Congrads
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I chewed gum all the time, literally there was not a moment of the day where I did not have a piece of gum in my mouth
and a couple pens got gnawed too
congrats on your first day!!
Thank you!!!!!
Gum makes my jaws hurt too much, and my muscles tense up which results in me grinding my teeth at night!
Otherwise, I'd probably be chewing gum too, but for now these yummy suckers are doing the trick!!
I've found myself brushing my teeth like a hundred times today too, which I guess isn't too bad since I'm eating a lot of candy!

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maddensmom

Thank you!!!!!
Gum makes my jaws hurt too much, and my muscles tense up which results in me grinding my teeth at night!
Otherwise, I'd probably be chewing gum too, but for now these yummy suckers are doing the trick!!
I've found myself brushing my teeth like a hundred times today too, which I guess isn't too bad since I'm eating a lot of candy!
Let me start by saying "CONGRATS!!!!!"
I quit hmmm lets see 5 yrs ago in Apr. My hubby quit 3 weeks after me. I took Wellbutrin for one week - its the same as Ziban but its covered by health care programs- I smoked for 18 yrs a pack and a half a day...I started with green export, home rolled, to paper rolled to home rolled. You name it. Anyway, I was suppose to take the Wellbutrin and smoke for one week, then I was suppose to quit smoking...it made them taste worse than ca-ca. Anyways it also made food and everything I drank taste icky - so I quit everything cold turkey. I use to suck and nibble on the brown stir sticks, brush my teeth like crazy, suck on mints, and keep telling myself I've gone this long a bit longer won't hurt. And I just kept putting it off and putting it off. I tell you I competely enjoyed smoking...the act, the smell sometimes, I liked smoking. BUt I had to quit cause I knew it was the healthy thing to do. I could start again right now. But I won't cause I've gone this long.
What I've noticed the most is my increased sense of smell. Food smells way better, the out door air after a heavy rain in the summer - oh boy the green smell....mmmmmmmm heavenly.
I wish you all the luck with sticking to this. There will be times when you will want one sooooo bad, just think, you've gotten thru the worst - the first 3 or 4 days - the physical part - the psycological well that is a work in progress. Just tell youserlf "I've made it this far, do I really want to go thru that all over again?"
~resistance vibes~ sent your way.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

Let me start by saying "CONGRATS!!!!!"
I quit hmmm lets see 5 yrs ago in Apr. My hubby quit 3 weeks after me. I took Wellbutrin for one week - its the same as Ziban but its covered by health care programs- I smoked for 18 yrs a pack and a half a day...I started with green export, home rolled, to paper rolled to home rolled. You name it. Anyway, I was suppose to take the Wellbutrin and smoke for one week, then I was suppose to quit smoking...it made them taste worse than ca-ca. Anyways it also made food and everything I drank taste icky - so I quit everything cold turkey. I use to suck and nibble on the brown stir sticks, brush my teeth like crazy, suck on mints, and keep telling myself I've gone this long a bit longer won't hurt. And I just kept putting it off and putting it off. I tell you I competely enjoyed smoking...the act, the smell sometimes, I liked smoking. BUt I had to quit cause I knew it was the healthy thing to do. I could start again right now. But I won't cause I've gone this long.
What I've noticed the most is my increased sense of smell. Food smells way better, the out door air after a heavy rain in the summer - oh boy the green smell....mmmmmmmm heavenly.
I wish you all the luck with sticking to this. There will be times when you will want one sooooo bad, just think, you've gotten thru the worst - the first 3 or 4 days - the physical part - the psycological well that is a work in progress. Just tell youserlf "I've made it this far, do I really want to go thru that all over again?"
~resistance vibes~ sent your way.
Thank you so much!! Hearing other peoples stories puts it all in perspective for me!! I look forward to the day that I can say I haven't smoked in x years!!
Congratulations on quitting and staying quit! And thank you for the vibes and support!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats!! I'm so excited for you, taking the plunge and making the definite decision. THAT is such a big step.
I envy you and may PM you later in the season for some advice. I'll definetly be watching your threads and rooting you onward.
I smoke........so embarassed to admit it.......
I unfortunatly have a love/hate relationship with the habit. But, I'm hoping to quit in the near future. BF HATES it. My tenant is moving out in 6 weeks (he smokes) and my anti-smoking BF is moving in so I'm thinking that date is a good one. I can't quit with tenant smoking nearby. But with BF here, I'll have extra motivation.
In the winter, I only smoke in one area of the house, near the table-top stove fan. The fan sucks up any smoke or odour nearby. Quite amazing really. In summer, smoking is only allowed outside in the garden.
So wierd to think of oneself as a non-smoker. Kind-of cool. Like turning over a new leaf.
My doctor gave me Zaiban and a patch, if I feel the need to use them. We'll see. For me it's more of a mental thing (coping, relaxing, etc.) than physical.

If you want I can PM you my email, if you ever want to write some stuff that is smoker/quitting related. I'd be happy to help you as it will help me. Your initial thread struck a note! PM me if you want.

Good Luck! You're doing great already
! Think "baby steps, baby steps. It all leads to walking!"

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have noticed that my sense of smell has increased insanely
like now I can smell a cigarette from a mile away

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gross I dont miss them. I actually got sick of the smell when I quiet and now I know someone who smokes in a crowd of people.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congratulations and thank you for giving up smoking! Stay strong, and don't be afraid to ask your doctor to help you with medications while you get through the symptoms of withdrawal.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you guys soooooo much!!!!!! I LOVE the cheerleaders!!
Those are awesome!!!

Fred&Nermal, your support means the world to me!! If I can inspire others to quit too, that just gives me more strength to move forward and never look back!!
If you ever need anything, just let me know!!

DAY 2!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! Today hasn't been bad AT ALL so far!!! Its amazing really, last time I "quit" by this time I was pulling my hair out and no one could stand to be around me....this time its not so bad. I find myself wanting one now and again, but it seems to be more b/c I'm bored than anything else. Anyone else realize how much free time you have without cigs??
I'm still emotional, but not completely irrational as I was the last time I tried to quit. I've been praying, and of course I've got you guys behind me, it feels pretty good!!

My throat is incredibly sore today, although I don't know if thats allergies or if it has anything to do with me quitting smoking...it sucks though!

Sadies Mom mentioned me making a daily thread about this.....would you guys rather me do that or just update here? I don't mind either way, if the majority of you would like a daily thread, I'd be happy to do it!

Thanks again for all of your support, you guys are great!!

I'm so glad that I'm doing this!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My throat is incredibly sore today, although I don't know if thats allergies or if it has anything to do with me quitting smoking...it sucks though!

Sadies Mom mentioned me making a daily thread about this.....would you guys rather me do that or just update here? I don't mind either way, if the majority of you would like a daily thread, I'd be happy to do it!

Good jobs so far, first 3 to 5 days are the hardest, once you get past that it becomes more mental i think not to smoke.

as for the sore thoat, i dont remember having a sore thoat. But i do remember i had lot of coughing fits for about 2 weeks.

Keep up the good work!!!

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Good jobs so far, first 3 to 5 days are the hardest, once you get past that it becomes more mental i think not to smoke.

as for the sore thoat, i dont remember having a sore thoat. But i do remember i had lot of coughing fits for about 2 weeks.

Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks!! I haven't been coughing at all. My throat is just really sore.
Thanks so much for your support!!!

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know when you smoke there are a bunch of little hairs in your throat and wind pipe called cilia (I think). They get coated with tar and gunk. When you quit, these little hairs start to get clean and exposed for the first time in a long time. This can make your throat more sensitive. I think there's miniature hairs like these in your nasal passages to. Sometimes, quitting smokers are susceptible to infection for a little bit for this same reason.
I'm not a doctor, however I read this awhile back and have also heard from quitters that they got more sinus infections for the first few months of quitting.

I think you should just stick with this thread, rather than having a new one everyday. Then you can look back on your progress from Day 1!

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

DAY 2!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!! Today hasn't been bad AT ALL so far!!! Its amazing really, last time I "quit" by this time I was pulling my hair out and no one could stand to be around me....this time its not so bad. I find myself wanting one now and again, but it seems to be more b/c I'm bored than anything else. Anyone else realize how much free time you have without cigs??
I'm still emotional, but not completely irrational as I was the last time I tried to quit. I've been praying, and of course I've got you guys behind me, it feels pretty good!!

Well the craving probably has more to do with Your READY now more than you were then....that would be my opinion.... THE TIME!!!!! wow I couldn't believe it....I don't know where I ever found the time to smoke!!!!!! I can't believe how full my life is now....as to the emotional part....are you sure its the withdrawal???
That too will pass....I think I like to mainly check the posts I'm involved in especially when I'm at work....whatever you decide let us know in this post....then if I have to search I will....if your going to go with a new thread maybe try Day # Smoke Free!!!!
Keep up the GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GOOOOO GIRL