I think she's pregnant...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got back from looking. I brought a pouch of wet food, played momma cat sounds, got knee deep in tall grass but no kitty. :(

I also inspected the two yards that I thought it was in thoroughly buy couldn't find it.

I don't know what else I can do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's all you can do unless you hear it cry again. Thank you for looking! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha!

My four year old just asked me how the kittens will get out of sophies tummy. I was like well...um...you see...She poops them out!

I'm always so honest with my kids about their bodies and health but I just want ready to have the talk with my 4 yr old!

On the topic of kids, how soon after she has the kits is it safe to let the kids see? Just see, no touching.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's all you can do unless you hear it cry again. Thank you for looking! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I'm a sucker for abandoned puppies and kittys! I had a pup that I found about a year ago abandoned in a box. She was just 5 weeks old outside in the middle of Feb. She was too high energy for my house though (she's an austraian shephard) and I found her a family who has a farm with goats and a bunch of kids and she is living her forever home!
And sopSophie was aI similar story. Found her abandoned at 6 weeks. But she fit in well here and I kept her!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's no way this girl is not even 4 weeks along!
I'm thinking she must have gotten out earlier and I didn't notice.
I'm thinking between 5-6 weeks. What are your thoughts?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can usually start to feel the kittens moving about 7 weeks along. So if you can feel them next week, you'll know. But she might just be one of those girls who starts showing early :D.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can usually start to feel the kittens moving about 7 weeks along. So if you can feel them next week, you'll know. But she might just be one of those girls who starts showing early :D.
I really want her to be farther along!

I originally thought she was due over passover when well be 11 people in my 3 bedroom house. And I was feeling really terrible for her that she's going to be in such a high stress environment laboring and caring for newborns. I have a plan in place for if she is due thn, but it isn't ideal.

If she has the kittens beginning-mid April, I know how much easier and calmer and easier it will be for her.

Last edited:

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, her belly kinda "jumps" when she's laying on her side. If if that's kitten related or not. And her nipples are protruding past her fur already.

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not knowing exactly when Sophie is due has got me nervous! Especially since money is tight this month and I don't get paid until after she can potentially have the kittens. So I've started preparing...

I got a small syringe from the pharmacy. And when I was there they had heating pillows for $5. I got two. And I'm in love with them

!

I was planning top get a can of kmr when I go in to get her food next, but my vet said stage 1 infant formula is just as good. Opinions?

I think I'm gonna borrow a scale from a friend or just buy one myself. They aren't expensive here.

What else do I need for her and babies?

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have the essentials! Scale is very helpful. For the kmr, I'm not sure what your vet is recommending. Does s/he mean formula for human babies? The kinds of kmr you can get vary per country. We most often recommend PetAg and to avoid Hartz, and always recommend powdered because canned can cause stomach upset.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Human baby formula will do in a pinch, but kitten formula is specially formulated to mimic mom's milk. It also contains taurine, which is an ingredient in almost all cat food, which is essential for neurological development.

The pillows look cute! How do they heat?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is referring to stage 1 infant formula (human). I'm not sure what kmr we can get here as I've never looked but I assume he recommends it because the kmr here (if there is) is low quality.
A friend of mine used human formula for a kitten she rescued (on the vet's recommendation) and she is a healthy rambunctious kitty!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Human baby formula will do in a pinch, but kitten formula is specially formulated to mimic mom's milk. It also contains taurine, which is an ingredient in almost all cat food, which is essential for neurological development.

The pillows look cute! How do they heat?
They heat in the microwave. I got two so they are extra comfy.

If the kmr here is too low grade and I am forced to use infant formula, how do I get the torrine in them?

I really hope this is all theoretical and sophie will be the perfect mom!

But I still must be prepared!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, we have royal canine babycat which I've heard is really good for them when they start weaning.

Sophie is on it now as well. It's just sooo expensive! Over $2 a pouch! I need to look online and see if I can order it in bulk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, see about ordering online. Is that wet or dry babycat? You'll want both. If you can't get KMR, then get infant stage one. It will be fine. It's mostly for supplementing. The pillows are fantastic! So glad you are getting prepared! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the wet babycat for her. She absolutly loves it. It's the one that comes in a pouch, not a can.
She also has water 24/7 and a mix of her regular food and kitten food 24/7. When I first switched her to free feeding she was a porker! But now she's gotten used to having her food accessible all the time and she's grazing on it all day.

It looks like royal canin does supply kmr here too. Is their brand any good?

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh good! There are 3 pet shops in the area. I'm sure one of them will have it!!!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes this country is such a pain in the butt! But I always get a good laugh...
I found the royal canin kmr online after looking at like 10 sites. I finally found it on "puppypet"
All's well now that I know where I can get it!

princess sophia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Totally off of sophie for a second... I have a job interview next week!!!

And back to sophie...as long as I've had sophie I've been working from home but with this new job (fingers crossed) I will be out 9-5 Sun-Thur.

If I get the the job I will 100% keep one of the kittens. But what else can I do to help her acclimate to the change? Especially if it happens before kittens arrive...