I Found A Skinny Stray Who's Very Pregnant- Guidance Needed

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms deserve breaks! As the babies sleep longer, you may see mom leave the nest for an hour or so.

The main thing is that mom will go running when she hears them cry, and that the babies gain weight steadily. Yours sound like they are doing well! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning they had both lost .1 ounce from last night. I'd been doing about every 12 hour weights and they'd been gaining about a quarter ounce at each twelve hours.

Solid's : 11am may 7 was 6.2, then 9:30pm was 6.8 but this morning at 9:30 was 6.7. just now is 6.9 at 5:30

Dot: 11am on may 7 was 6.2, then 6.5 last night and this morning was 6.4. Now at 6.5 at 5:30pm

That's a day without gain, so I figure they need supplemental feeding. Mama cat has been in with them more and they haven't been whining/mewing.
I have a baby bottle, so I figured trying that with KMR and seeing if they need extra. Mama's still eating two cans of wet kitten plus crunchies and either a scrambled egg or a spoon of yougurt, she hasn't changed eating.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok. I was just worried that it changed from .5/.6 gains everyday to nothing gained.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they continue not to gain weight or to lose weight, then you'll need to supplement. Let's see how they do tomorrow! :)

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're doing much better.
May 9 morning-Dot 6.9 Solid 7.3
May 9 evening- Dot 7.5 Solid 7.4
May 10 morning Dot 7.5 Solid 7.8
Back to gaining about .5 a day each

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They've gotten good at learning to squirm blur when I try to take photos, and I'm trying to only steal them for weights and pics when Mama's doing her own thing.

Attachments

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mama's eating great, she chowed down two cans of wet and then is either done or will eat up to a cup of kibble (and drinks water throughout). I've been adding water to her pate after stirring in the petAG, she likes it not soupy but very sloppy. My budget doesn't like more than two cans, and she tends not to eat much of a third, but she will snack on kibble after two if she wants extra.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Solid has one eye half open and hit 8 ounces! Half a pound! What a big boy. Hes following movements and stuff really well. It's crazy they're still this little with how much they grew. Dot is 7.7 and has both eyes closed. She's leap frogging weights with her big brother and is way louder and wigglier, but she settles better too. Solid is more of a go with the flow baby.
I'm fairly certain on sexes but I was thinking of not naming in case of mis sexing or getting myself too attached (like I'm not trying to scam my human to keep all three already). Im thinking Lilo and Stitch and the mom being Ohana ("Ohana means family", not sure on spelling). I'm trying to find pair or trio names I like. Bonnie and Clyde, Hansel and Gretel, but I keep coming back to Lilo and Stitch. My cat has been won over. Hers resigned to if they're here they may as well play with him and he keeps trying watch/get them to play. Silly boy just wants what he can take have.

Attachments

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's so funny that half the lid is still closed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 10 days old their eyes will both open fully in the next few days. Make sure they are not crusty, but do not force them open ever.

Their weights are excellent!

Make sure your cat cannot harm them.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Lilo & Stitch are cute names. Trio name suggestions: Harpo, Groucho, Chico - Mo, Larry, Curly - Do, Re, Mi - Chili, T-Boz, Left Eye (or Lefty) - Joker, Smoker, Toker -

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiki can't get at them.
Dot has one and a half open this morning and is 8.0
Solid has the half eye open and the other is crusty. A tan color like the "sleep" people get in thier eyes. I didn't want to mess with them (and wouldn't ever force them) but with crusties I was going to ask if a wet cotton ball or something to lightly wipe would be good or not. Or if I just leave it and let the babies and mom take care of it.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Two weeks old!! Solid was 9.9 and Dot is 10.0 this morning. All eyes open and much more curious. Solid mostly wants to cuddle mama and Dot, and doesn't like the world zooming around when it's time to be weighed-now that he can see it. Dot's going to be an adventurer, she watches everything and wants to go explore. Dot keeps trying to crawl into mama's food, she wants to know whats up. I can't wait until they're old enough for play time. Everyone seems to be growing and eating just right. :)

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is have some faith and things will work out but maybe not the way you want. This was me last August. The mother cat was placed in a rescue when the kits were 3.5 weeks old. We had cat incompatibility issues and the rescue had an opening and the babies could no longer be kept in a crate without stunting their growth both mentally and physically. Our other cats accepted the babies and they now live with us.
I believe all the love and attention we gave the mother cat as well as litter box training and scratchers and teaching her to play again made her more adoptable. I'm not a rescue I just couldn't look at this one cat and let her life go on being hell.
Not one thing worked out like we planned on day one. But everything worked out. I know that oh crap feeling of what have I gotten myself into.