I Found A Skinny Stray Who's Very Pregnant- Guidance Needed

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Backstory:
I live in a neighborhood surrounded by farm land. We have between 3-8 cats at a time who regularly use our yard as path between houses with dogs in the yard. I never know if they're feral or someone's "outside" cat. Yesterday I had this friendly girl come up (I've seen her about a year ago, and she was super friendly, but havent seen her regularly recently). She's far too skinny and was obviously pregnant. I was filling bird feeders (for my cat's entertainment) and she just scared me with how skinny she was. I brought out a bit of kibble and i thought she was going to get sick inhaling it. I'm pretty broke, but it was off to the vet.
The Issue:
She's feline lukemia negative, has terrible teeth, is likely under two years old and is already producing milk for the three kittens the vet felt. I've only had experience with one gone wrong dog birth or the before/after so I'm sort of freaking out that she's so close to birth without me having time for much research. Any advice/guidance/reassurance is sooo welcome. I need someone who knows things to hold my hand through this.
So Far:
I've got her in just the lower half of a ferret nation cage, with her own litter box with extra around it so nothing can get out to my cat (vet gave me some dewormer, but we didnt have a fecal to check). I cant really keep them in seperate rooms (the bedroom has my chinchillas who can have fatal reactions to some cat spit-but thats for a different forum). She's got some towels that she is loving. My cat's pretty mad his jungle-gym cage is taken over by her. but it's the best I can do. Pretty much everywhere around me is already full with kitten season. I'm hopeing I can foster them or something for an organisation like Planned Pethood but I have to call around. This girl is the sweetest thing but with how skinny she is and her coat's not in the greatest shape... the vet thinks she was probably thrown out of a house when she went into heat.

Anything you guys would recommend? Best resources to read up on birthing and kitten rearing so I'm not trying to read the whole internet? Should I be feeding kitten food or is adult food ok? She just wants to cuddle and my cat is going to kill me, as is my human since he has bad allergies to new animals and I'm already begging to keep her.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start feeding her kitten chow (let her always have access) and wet food several times a day. But do it slowly so it doesn't shock her system. Thank you for rescuing her and her soon to be born kittens!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T tikishenanigans

Aww, bless you. Gal after my own heart. :)

She really needs dry kitten chow and as much wet food as she wants. Poor baby sounds like she has not had anywhere near enough to eat. The kittens will have depleted her resources also.

She can also have plain, boiled chicken and broth (no garlic or onions), full-fat yogurt, cheese, and eggs.

Go ahead and worm her now. She must have worms having been stray. This will ensure she gets all her nutrients.

Does she have fleas?

If you can, please purchase a can of PetAg powdered kitten formula, and give mom a dish a day now and through her nursing days. It's good to have on hand in case you need to supplement the kittens, who may be small since mom has been malnourished. Get a small needleless syringe or dropper too, just in case.

She sounds within days of delivering if she is already producing milk.

I'm going to share some links with you in my next post. Ask questions whenever you need too.

Thank you for saving her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm getting onto my phone to grab the pics. We've been calling her smokey (I nickname all the strays that come through the yard) or mama since she doesn't seem like a smokey. Is the kitten formula at most pet stores?

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has more tan than shows up, but I've been trying not to bug her more than trying for good pics.
My newly rescued mama pics so far. I don't know how to just insert pictures on a here yet, so here's a ink to a few
httpsgur.com/gallery/hj2sw

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only hartz product I've bought in years is thier delectable squeeze ups because I didnt know it was thiers. I wish I could find more because my cat got addicted.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I had gotten a better standing picture, laying down her big belly camoflages how much you can see her spine and ribs.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no fleas
and she's already eaten about four days of what my male two year would eat in under a day.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's got more towels now and has been deep asleep. Im glad she trust being here enough to be that comfortable. Especially with Tiki being crazy over there being a new cat

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sorry about the duplicate pictures-my phone was spazzing out

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is that petAG the same stuff you use when weaning them? Or is that a second thing? I volunteered and worked at a shelter before and I remember mixing something with wet food and watering it down when we had babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most formula brands make a 1st step and a 2nd step. I'm referring to the 1st step formula.

In fact, it's okay to mix that into wet food when they are weaning. Most people like to use up what they have on hand. It's all good for them. The 1st step is specially formulated to be most like mom's milk.