I Found A Skinny Stray Who's Very Pregnant- Guidance Needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So new kitten problem. I hadn't found any fleas on mama cat when she came in, and brushed her with flea combs without finding any, even last night. Tonight I brushed the kittens with a flea comb and got some flea dirt, so I gave them a bath, nothing jumped ship, but when drying I had two come off on the towel. Oddly brown, but I've mostly seen dog fleas that are blacker before. I figure something must have rode in on shoes or I missed eggs or something on mama.
So what's the safest way to de-flea momma, babies and thier bedding and play space? Once I see a flea I assume it all has something rather than risk an infestation. I don't know what medicines and area sprays/powders are kitten safe (born May 1st so they're about 6 weeks old). I also need to do dewormers and first shots. The cheapest vet in the area wants $150 for the two kittens first set (Mama's only been dewormed so far two days before the babies and second dose two weeks after that) or $7 for a dewormer for both and two $7 vaccines at tractor supply. I'm heavily leaning toward the $21 over $150 for the same things, but would welcome advice. Also would this vaccine work for mama?
I plan on getting rabies vaccines and S/N through a local program for $25 each once the babies are old enough.
My Tiki should be fine thankfully, he gets frontline+ every month. That's a bit expensive for all four though. I think I've seen where people split dog doses? I have to read up on that though and make sure of what's kitten safe.
On the plus side Owen started eating big cat soup instead of just nursing. He loves it and is planning on getting chubby.
Layla is copying mama really good, laying the same way, eating at the same times, anything to be a mini-me of mama.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A few things I forgot. The flea dirt didn't turn red, or do anything when I wetted it on a paper towel, neighed fleas nor dirt appeared in the bath, and can mamma or the kittens have Capstar? Even partial ones?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which specific vaccine would you get at tractor supply? Who will administer it?

Tractor supply is much cheaper than the vet, for sure.

Low-cost spay/neuter is the way to go too!

Advantage II works on cats and kittens. I buy 4-packs of the extra large dog size (same as for cats) and use a syringe to draw it out. One tube will dose 5 adult cats. Big savings!

Cat dose is .08 for adult; .04 for kittens over 5 weeks.

Buy a can of Enforcer flea spray and use it on carpets, floors, and furniture.

Wash all bedding in hot water. Vacuum all floors.

Repeat the entire process again in 10 days.

This should kill any fleas, eggs and larvae, and prevent an infestation. :)

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should've written the vaccine, duh. "Focus Cat Vax 3 Injection with Syringe, 1 Dose. This vaccine contains Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia as modified live virus antigens " it's distemper/combo, which is all the vet would be doing for the $150 which also the cheapest vet option around here (well there may be like $20 less at a place I wouldn't trust them) I understand the vet needing to make a living and pay back student loans but I wish my area had a way to provide decent vet care more affordably. I would be giving the vaccines.

I used Dawn to bath the kittens, but would it be ok to use a flea shampoo on mama? I have a sentry purrscripions and sentry purrscriptions plus flea shampoos I had grabbed when a small petstore was closing. We haven't had fleas in forever thanks to the frontline, but I've tried to stay prepared.

Off to buy advantage 2 and enforcer and maybe some easily cleanable kitten toys. Wait until my SO hears I'm spending even more on "cats that aren't ours". He knew what he signed up for with me though.

On another note, my house must be a maternity ward- we've got a snowshoe rabbit nest in the yard. Hope that's not where the fleas came from...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to make sure you know the correct dose of vaccine to give the kittens, and where on the body to give it.

Mom can have a flea bath, just watch out for her eyes, nose, and mouth.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well tiki and mama both got flea baths and mama combed out with no fleas. Tiki had a mess of six on his chest and armpits. Super frustrating. I do Frontline every month on him on time. He was dosed about a week ago. Mama and babies got theirs last night, sprayed all the furnature and fabric stuff and washed all the bedding and cage stuff. Whirlwind of cleaning everything yesterday. Hopefully that nips this in the bud.
Nobody seems to hold the baths against me. Running around yesterday to get all the flea stuff worked out well for grabbing more kitten food because I found a few sales. Mama's really chowing down wet still. I've started giving the babies soupier KMR wet during playtime cause mama will eat it all in two minutes. Owen went from not understanding it at all to chowing down. Layla gets annoyed he wants to eat first and play later. She's all go go go. Mama thankfully takes a bit longer with regular wet and always has kibble. I can't believe how boney she still is with how much she's been eating.
Everyone's napping right now so I'm off to take advantage and get some quiet stuff done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! Spraying and washing will get rid of eggs and larvae, which is why fleas appear despite Frontline.

Sounds like everyone is eating well too! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those bunnies may, indeed, be the culprits. And of course, fleas being the little opportunistic hitchhikers that they are, could have ridden in on anyone who went into the yard. The worst flea infestation I ever had occurred in Florida during a time when I didn't even have an animal. They came in from the yard. It was so bad that I had to send my kids to their grandmother while I sprayed the house and yard with malathion.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No adult fleas seen in today's brushing on anyone. Yay! Layla's taken to climbing in my lap to nap. Owen's trying to eat all the big boy food. I've taken to putting a wet KMR mix down during playtime and mama can have wet 24/7 but will eat a bowlful of KMR mix in two minutes. Owen eats Mama's normal wet food now too. He hasn't figured out kibble yet.
Since snowshoe rabbit population is down around here, I don't know if I should spray the yard.

Attachments