I Found A Skinny Stray Who's Very Pregnant- Guidance Needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. I ran out to get some. Mixed it it with wet. It recommends 2 teaspoons per five pounds mixed with a day's food. So by that it's 3 teaspoons a day. Should I do that or since she's starved should I do 3 teaspoons per 6oz can?
I already put 2 in with the wet I had set out, she was concerned the bowl had been taken and started gobbling when it was set back down. I have a feeling she's going to want to be fat after this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Strays tend to gobble any food they can because they've done without for so long. I've had strays who level out after a time once they realize the food is not going away. Yours is starving AND pregnant, so you may as well buy bulk canned food.

If she's eating three 6-ounce cans a day, I would mix one teaspoon with each 6 ounce can. It's fine what you've already given her though.

You can also mix it with water and let her lap it from a bowl.

Is she free-feeding on dry food?

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. She's got dry food and she's been eating the wet food fast enough it's kinda free feeding both. She's also drinking a lot of water.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So the vet had noticed milk and showed me almost two days ago now (I don't know if she squeezed it or if it was freely lactating) most things I've saw say this isn't likely more than a couple days before birth. She's mostly been sleeping. Currently her nipples are larger than a nonpregnant cat which I expected, but aren't leaking milk without squeezing (I don't want to force out any colosterum so I'm not makeing any come out) I don't know when I should be fussing and worrying over a ack of kittens. I was half expecting to wake up to them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! Milk often comes in a week before delivery. Every cat is different though. Some only get milk after delivery. I definitely would not squeeze her nipples.

Things sound normal to me! :)

Last edited:

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much.
One more thing. Some articles say to expect a queen to stop eating about a day before labor. Do you think she will or due to being underweight will she probably keep eating? I don't know how firm of a tendency it is

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we may be close. She's chilling in the box hut (a bit bigger than a carrier) instead of out on a towel watching us. I just rubbed her belly and saw a bit of discharge on her vulva- it almost looks like a pinker than beef stew color but doesn't look thick/pus like consistency. I'll try to get a pic if she wants another belly rub. I'm thankful she's super affectionate and not totally feral (then again I probably would have never gotten close to her if she was feral).

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Shes pretty squirmy during belly rubs so those are my best shots
IMG_20170501_110750309.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's normal pre-labor and delivery discharge. She's definitely on her way through the process. It can take awhile though!

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some heavier breathing and nesting... She's trying to get rid of all the towels

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my guy was on watch while I slept and heard a baby mew and got me. We've got two so far. 3.3oz and white dot on forehead is 2.7oz. A little low on the one but not too bad for how skinny mama is.

tikishenanigans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pictures are all coming up as over 5mb. I'll get more when they aren't eating.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Still just two kittens? It sounds like they are latched and nursing.