I am fostering an unhappy pregnant stray….

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom cat will pick up on your emotions. When you bring her to the kittens you must be thinking/feeling that everything will be fine, that she will be glad to see them and nice to them. If you are afraid, she'll pick up on your fear. In her mind, you're huge, if there is something you fear in the room with her kittens it may want to harm her babies and her. Which may make her panic.
I’m not going to allow her access to the kittens. The vet and the rescue said a very definite no. Her milk has dried up anyway. Believe me I wish she could help…..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you show her a kitten, does she hiss at it or act aggressive? I understand the concerns but I would also get a second opinion. There's a lot to learn from the mama cat and unless the mama cat is panicked with fear, she probably will not harm her babies. Perhaps ask someone affiliated with Alley Cat Allies or a similar rescue that deals with ferals.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that she is unlikely to harm her kittens, but I’m concerned that she is not leaving her condo. Have you tried to take her out?

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was out after the birth..but she climbed to the top and stayed there. Since her hospitalization I have not let her out. THANKFULLY (after I completely covered the condo with sheets) she came to the bottom and finally pooped. I’ll be letting her out today and we will see

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omgosh. Please…. New problems.
1. Constipation. 2 only did a few nuggets today after not going for 2 days. 1 hasn’t gone at all in 3 days. Rescue recommends a few grains of miralax…very hard for me to do. How to do? Also to add more water to formula at extra feedings. Going to give butt baths shortly. Which leads to problem 2
2. The one that hasn’t gone in 3 days has a raised belly button and it has drops of blood!!!!!! Can I give a bath still? Will the water hurt him?
3. I saw a flea!
Oh boy. These little are trying to kill me I think

help please

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should be wiping their butts and junk before and after each feeding session. I hope you can get them to start going soon! Maybe you could try using liquid KMR instead of powdered?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just add 2-3 drops of olive oil to each feeding. This usually softens things up.

I would not bathe the kittens. Just clean their bottoms with a warm, damp cloth.

Use a flea comb to remove any fleas.