I am fostering an unhappy pregnant stray….

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fortunately she ate during the night. I took out the dry food to encourage her to eat wet. I’m boiling chicken to make a broth for her and have ordered miralax. I was advised to do these things. I am to take out the IV thing… and deworm her as her tests have shown hookworms. I hate terrorizing her more but I don’t have a choice.
Babies are doing well. Me - not so much. I feel I’m not able to do the best job because of the exhaustion plus the 3 hours of driving yesterday has triggered my sciatica. I wasn’t expecting any of this but here they are so I will persevere.
I’m looking for a printable log for the infants.
Anyone know of one?
Thank all of you for all of your help.

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a nightmare. It will be rough going at first. I just got done with nursing SEVEN kittens and caring for a mom cat with acute mastitis. The every 2-3 hours is killer. I started to get quite irritable. But keep going and eventually you will have kittens running to you for attention. I very much recommend the Miracle Nipple Mini. It can fit on the collar of a standard bottle for animals as well! I paid like $14 for my two nipples. Good luck!

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would an excel sheet, with a few column headers added in, work?
Yes and I used to be able to do that but I no longer have excel or any word processing apps.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a nightmare. It will be rough going at first. I just got done with nursing SEVEN kittens and caring for a mom cat with acute mastitis. The every 2-3 hours is killer. I started to get quite irritable. But keep going and eventually you will have kittens running to you for attention. I very much recommend the Miracle Nipple Mini. It can fit on the collar of a standard bottle for animals as well! I paid like $14 for my two nipples. Good luck!
I’ve been using the original miracle nipple with a syringe. It is quite long but they have been ok with is so far. I’m having difficulty keeping the formula warm though. If they unlatch and I potty them I have to refill with warm. Suggestions? I really can’t spend any more money though.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They haven’t been peeing very much if at all when I stimulate them. Their “nest” did smell like urine (into the washing). How do I keep track of when and which ones are peeing?!!

dethstryke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would just keep wiping them before and after each feeding. You keep wiping until they stop peeing or pooping. Make sure to use some warm water on a paper towel or a wash cloth (I used paper towels). As for the formula, get a digital thermometer and throw the formula in the microwave for a few seconds. Like four or so and then shake shake shake and then test the temp until it's about 100°f. Make sure to wash the nipples and the syringe after each time. Formula will get expensive. I suggest going to a tractor supply store as they sell liquid KMR for $18 instead of the $20+ that PetSmart sells the exact same thing for. I didn't bother with weighing or keeping track of who did what and they all survived, but they also had a mom cat that helped me out with showing them the ropes. Feed them until they stop drinking is what I did. Grab one, put it on your leg, then put the nipple in it's mouth and give it a squirt and it should start to suckle like mad, ears twitching the whole time and then it will let go when done.

HeyKat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using the original miracle nipple with a syringe. It is quite long but they have been ok with is so far. I’m having difficulty keeping the formula warm though. If they unlatch and I potty them I have to refill with warm. Suggestions? I really can’t spend any more money though.
What I do is keep a mug of hot water on hand and put the syringe/bottle in there while pottying etc. to keep it warm. Just test a drop on your wrist each time to make sure the temperature of the formula is okay.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well. I lost a kitten last night. I did the best I could do. She was isolating herself from the others. That’s the first thing I noticed. She was eating fine and a good amount 5 mls. Then at 4:30 she wouldn’t eat at all and seemed limp. I started giving caro on her gums. Although her gums were pink? I wrapped her in a heated towel. On a heat disk. In a shoe box. Wrapped in a blanket. Then I tried to put her on my heartbeat with the heated towel and the heating disk. Nothing so I put her back away from the others all wrapped up. Next feeding she was worse so I didn’t even attempt to feed. I dribbled pedialyte onto her tongue from the side and it just dribbled out. It was making her uncomfortable/in pain. There were really odd grumbly noises in her belly. I was listening for respiratory noises as maybe she aspirated at some point but it was definitely in her abdomen or lower. She was gone in the night.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question about Mom now. Geez I don’t know how to worry about all these animals at once.
she has been in the condo now for a week. She really seems like a sweet cat that hasn’t tried to hurt me in any way. I’ve been feeding her and she’s taking in approximately 1 3 oz can a day. She is a small cat. I can’t tell how much water she’s taking in. She allows me to pet her but doesn’t care for it. I’ve covered all sides of the condo except the bottom 12 inches or so. I open the blinds in the morning and close them at night. She looks to be urinating but no poop. I’ve been counseled to put a pinch or miralax twice a day.
What else can I do for her? She’s doing nothing but laying in that box. This cannot be healthy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try getting her out and see if she’s interested in exploring the room or checking out her kittens. Supervise her, of course.

I agree just lying in the box is not good. She’s either unwell or depressed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The miralax should be dissolved in water first I think, but I'm guessing that it probably dissolves well enough in the wet food. Can you ask them about increasing the dose?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom cat will pick up on your emotions. When you bring her to the kittens you must be thinking/feeling that everything will be fine, that she will be glad to see them and nice to them. If you are afraid, she'll pick up on your fear. In her mind, you're huge, if there is something you fear in the room with her kittens it may want to harm her babies and her. Which may make her panic.

Last edited: