I am fostering an unhappy pregnant stray….

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is serious. Mom needs to be with her kittens! Newborns need to nurse constantly initially. 3 hours is too long. Put them all back in the condo for now where mom feels safe. They can be moved to larger quarters later. This is NOT the time for mom to be exploring. She needs to be with her kittens and nursing them often.

It’s about warmth, but it’s even more about nursing right now.

Please let us know that they are all back together for now and that mom is nursing her kittens. If not, there is a problem. V Vellamint

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is serious. Mom needs to be with her kittens! Newborns need to nurse constantly initially. 3 hours is too long. Put them all back in the condo for now where mom feels safe. They can be moved to larger quarters later. This is NOT the time for mom to be exploring. She needs to be with her kittens and nursing them often.

It’s about warmth, but it’s even more about nursing right now.

Please let us know that they are all back together for now and that mom is nursing her kittens. If not, there is a problem. V Vellamint

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have managed to attach the opening of the playpen to the opening in the condo. She was in with them for a while and they were quiet when I peeked. 3 were on the warmer disk and I put the one that got into a cat bed with the rest. Pulled out the cat bed. Mom is now up in the condo. Full access to babies. I hate to keep disturbing all of them. This is nerve racking.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I could find the edit button. I want to add that I have not actually see her nursing them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please let us know when you see her lying with them and nursing. This is critical. They all need to be together and nursing in early days. It’s okay for mom to take breaks, but she needs to be with them quite a bit the first 3 weeks in particular. Most moms do not leave their newborns more than to eat, drink, and use the litter. Make sure these are nearby. Please update. Your posts are concerning!

V Vellamint

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Members do not have the same editing privileges as staff. Do not worry about editing your posts. Just post as you need to.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please let us know when you see her lying with them and nursing. This is critical. They all need to be together and nursing in early days. It’s okay for mom to take breaks, but she needs to be with them quite a bit the first 3 weeks in particular. Most moms do not leave their newborns more than to eat, drink, and use the litter. Make sure these are nearby. Please update. Your posts are concerning!

V Vellamint
I’m very concerned… she’s completely ignoring them. I put everything back the way it was and am monitoring

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are screaming their heads off. Should I give mom until morning or start bottle feeding

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning…

The stray mom looks to be ignoring her kittens. It’s been over 24 hours since birth and I’ve only actually seen her nurse once (but I’m not in there all day). I am so thankful they are still with us this morning. Anyway:

I’ve just syringe fed for the first time. I’ve weighed them, stimulated them, fed them, marked their ears with long lasting lipstick since they all look alike. I’m happy to say they all latched pretty well and all took between 5 and 6 cc’s. Boy I’m happy I stocked the supplies needed. I do know I need to do this every 2 hours and I’m looking up how much they should eat a day.

So sorry for this long post…here are the weights last night and this morning. They had all dropped slightly. This is in ounces.

3.10 3.03
3.6. 3.54
3.10. 3.03
3.16. 3.10

Any chance mom has been feeding them? Sigh
They are on a snuggle heat disk and I’m going to put a snuggle kitty in with them.

Mom just stays in the top of the condo and doesn’t look to be eating or drinking herself. She doesn’t growl or hiss at me which is great. I’m going back in (after a shower th at I desperately need) and rearrange that room. I’m going to put the kittens in an open top playpen and let mom out. I saw her eat (on webcam) when she was out yesterday. Can’t zip the top of the playpen cuz she jumped on it and the whole thing collapsed in towards the babies. I’m going to take care of mom but act as if these are orphans.

I need feedback. Please. Ty.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m going to take care of mom but act as if these are orphans.
It sounds to me as though this is the necessary approach to take. I don't know what weights should be at this stage so I can't help regarding whether she ever nursed them beyond that one time that you mentioned. Thankfully they got that though, and thank you for stepping up!! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing the right thing to treat them like orphans and syringe feed every 2 hours. It’s a lot of work but the only way they will survive. Weights are good at present.

I still hope that mom will settle in with them at some point, but it is sounding unlikely. Hopefully she will at least begin eating better soon, and not hissing at you is a good sign. I feel sorry for her really. I hope once she’s spayed she might become friendlier.

Keep up the good job and sleep when you can and keep us posted! V Vellamint

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: my rescue had me bring the mom to the hospital and I am waiting to hear the outcome. They think she may still have a stillborn inside her. I keep thinking it’s because she’s never been in a home before and is terrified. Since it’s been over 2 days since the birth they don’t want the kittens near her for fear she will kill them.
The kittens are latching and eating well…. It’s exhausting but rewarding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please keep us updated about the mom. It’s possible she’s not herself if she has a stillborn or infection brewing inside. Maybe she will be okay with her kittens once they get her medical issues situated. Poor mom!

Good to hear the kittens are eating well! Hang in there!

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Mom. She had X-rays, bloodwork, a 14 day antibiotic and iv fluids. There is not a baby still inside. She was so constipated that they also gave her an enema. Her milk is dried up from all of that. She cannot be reunited with her babies due to all of this. She could attack and kill them. She still has the IV in her arm. If she eats and drinks before tomorrow it can come out. If not she has to go back to the hospital.

This is hard. I have them all in my foster room. She’s back in the condo and the kittens are in a playpen. I am wondering if hearing them cry will stress her where she still won’t eat……

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - mama kitty and you have been through a lot! IMO, it's doubtful that she would kill her babies as she isn't acting frantic or freaked out, but since she doesn't have milk that's a moot point. Be sure to keep the babies' nest draft free and the ambient air temperature should be about 85°F- to accomplish this, I put neonates in a nest that is a small box with comfy towels and a plush toy to snuggle with as well as a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock that's wrapped in a washcloth. I put the box inside a cat carrier and cover it with a towel. I then put the carrier on a heating pad with only half the nest above the heat - kittens need to be able to get away from too much heat because overheating is dangerous (signs of hyperthermia are bright red gums. panting, obvious discomfort).
I use a candy thermometer to ensure the 100°F temperature; I prefer to heat formula on the stovetop but microwaving a cup of water & putting the bottle in that works (heating the formula in the microwave can cause hot spots that burn tender tissues). To keep the bottle warm, I wrap a heated rice-or-cornmeal sock around it. I burp the kittens just like a baby, soft pats and strokes up the back, jiggle them on my shoulder (kittens self-burp by crawling up their mother's side). I keep infants' simethicone drops on hand in case of excess gas (keeping the end of the bottle a little higher than the nipple helps to keep the kittens from swallowing air bubbles).
If the kittens get fussy at nursing, it may be gum irritation from the nipple. A thin layer of coconut oil can be soothing but also try a different nipple. The mini Miracle Nipple from Chris' Squirrels & More is the best that I have found - no need to puncture holes plus the rubber doesn't irritate like other nipples.