I am fostering an unhappy pregnant stray….

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got her last night. She’s not eating or using the litter box which I understand is normal as she is in a strange setting.

I haven’t been able to see her nipples and have no idea how pregnant she is.

I really want to get Revolution on her but I don’t know how to do that without traumatizing her more.
I would also love to deworm her but she’s not eating and I usually mix the dewormer in the wet food.

She’s in a very tall kitty condo cage and I have it almost completely covered hoping she starts to feel more secure here…in my foster room with the door closed and soft music playing.

I offered to foster her but have no experience with pregnant fosters…..any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I have watched many videos including the kitten lady but I’ve found nothing on this subject

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
I think you're doing the right things, unfortunately I have no experience regarding the Revolution. She probably isn't really sleeping while she's still upset otherwise I'd suggest trying to apply it then.. ..

She hopefully will start eating very soon--have you tried mixing up some Kitten Milk Replacer for her and giving her some in a bowl separately and some mixed into a little pate to see if she goes for either one?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would not put Revolution on her right now or de-worm her until she is feeling more comfortable. This could take a few days (or longer) and you’ll need to spend time sitting with her and talking to her. Will she let you pet her?

Where did you get her — from a friend or a shelter?

Has she seen a vet or any plans to?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would not put Revolution on her right now or de-worm her until she is feeling more comfortable. This could take a few days (or longer) and you’ll need to spend time sitting with her and talking to her. Will she let you pet her?

Where did you get her — from a friend or a shelter?

Has she seen a vet or any plans to?
I’ve pet her when she was under a cat bed and she didn’t hiss growl or try to run.
I’m fostering for a rescue and am keeping them apprised of the situation.
I know meow mix is not ideal but that’s what sheis used to so I’ve added that to the cage.
SUCCESS with the KMR!

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I think you're doing the right things, unfortunately I have no experience regarding the Revolution. She probably isn't really sleeping while she's still upset otherwise I'd suggest trying to apply it then.. ..

She hopefully will start eating very soon--have you tried mixing up some Kitten Milk Replacer for her and giving her some in a bowl separately and some mixed into a little pate to see if she goes for either one?
SUCCESS with the KMR

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Excellent that she likes the KMR! The shelter should de-flea and de-worm her or provide the products, though I’d still wait for now to apply.

Since she sounds friendly, try giving her some out of cage time for petting and to let her explore the room. She may settle in more quickly if she trusts you.

Providing the Meow Mix that she’s accustomed to is wise, though I’d also begin offering Purina Kitten Chow as well since it’s packed with nutrients that pregnant cats and kittens need.

Wet food and KMR are essential too for hydration and calcium.

I’ve also provided links to articles for you that will help you to be prepared (see my post above).

Thank you for fostering! V Vellamint

Last edited:

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have kittens!!!!!! She went into the box I put at the bottom of the condo cage. I hear one possibly two kittens. So now I don’t want to terrify her but shouldn’t I be doing something?

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to say… I have read all the material here and have been researching for days. It’s just difficult as she barely knows me and most information is regarding a known animal/pet. Not a stray that doesn’t trust me … yet

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just reassure her in a soothing voice how well she’s doing. Make sure kittens latch and nurse once they’ve been out a few minutes. Give her KMR to drink for strength.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Looks like 2 placentas next to her and looks like the 2? Babies are the same dark color - difficult to see.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So total of 4 kittens. The rescue wanted me to look at them to assess and mom is now out of the condo cage. I cleaned the bedding and put the kittens in a large playpen. The box she gave birth in was small. She couldn’t stand or turn well in there. She’s hiding and hasn’t been with them for 3 hours now. Should I be concerned….. I’ve read newborns can go a while without nursing but ……

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Are they sleeping quietly in a pile, or crawling around screaming? If they're still sleeping, it's ok since there are enough of them to create some warmth, --I hope. You might want to fill a sock with uncooked rice, microwave it (test it on your own skin so its not too hot) and give them that for extra warmth. Hopefully when they wake and begin to yell she'll respond.

Vellamint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Are they sleeping quietly in a pile, or crawling around screaming? If they're still sleeping, it's ok since there are enough of them to create some warmth, --I hope. You might want to fill a sock with uncooked rice, microwave it (test it on your own skin so its not too hot) and give them that for extra warmth. Hopefully when they wake and begin to yell she'll respond.
I have a snuggle sage in with them. Mom is going about checking out the room and I caught her on camera eating finally but haven’t seen her nurse since she got out of the cage…. I’ll keep checking