Hurricane Irma Is Heading Our Way!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant begin to imagine how frightening it must be for the everyone in the danger area. I hope all stay safe. My thoughts are with you.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got off the telephone with Jacqui Sands, the Director of Hemingway House. All the kitties are fine, as is the house as far as can be ascertained, however she did note, "you know, the yard's a mess, though."

I am so glad to see this. Of course I am worried about the people but I too have been thinking about those kitties. I have been looking on the internet but I haven't seen anything recent about Key West.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the CNN reporters was just in the Keys. It didn't look too bad. I mean, of course it's bad, but not the total devastation I expected. Except maybe the boat on an awning.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to see this. Of course I am worried about the people but I too have been thinking about those kitties. I have been looking on the internet but I haven't seen anything recent about Key West.
abc on tv is doing live coverage, you don't need cable or dish. Their web site is probably covering it too. :fuming:7:03pm CT. abc stopped coverage on Irma for their regular programming. :argh::censored:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Florida as well, in the Jacksonville area. I'm not in an evacuation zone, so my family and I are hoping we can ride it out. It looks like it'll "start" around late night-early morning for us. On a side note, I experience frequent insomnia so I might be awake when it hits. I have to admit, I've been feeling very restless all day. I plan to keep Lizzie and Olivia, my two Cats, in my room with me. Both for comfort, and to keep them where it's safe.

Would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. I've been praying for everyone else in the path of the storm.
You've got them. Stay safe & keep us updated.:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Checking in from Daytona Beach. It's still really windy but it appears as though the rain has stopped. We did get a lot of it though. Power is out in HALF of the room we are in.... Yes. Really. The front half of the room has power. The back half does not. I'm not complaining. Better to have some than none. It just seems odd though. Stay safe everyone!

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Checking in from Daytona Beach. It's still really windy but it appears as though the rain has stopped. We did get a lot of it though. Power is out in HALF of the room we are in.... Yes. Really. The front half of the room has power. The back half does not. I'm not complaining. Better to have some than none. It just seems odd though. Stay safe everyone!
It might be that one phase has died off, electric company needs to be notified to fix that.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Margo and her family are fine. Rick's cousin is fine.

I'm so happy about those Hemingway kitties! That made my day! Rick says we need to go down and see them. :)

Still nothing from Lana and Paul. I understand about cell towers and such...it's difficult.

Thank you, guys. And everybody stay as safe as you can!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I am glad the Hemmingway kitties are ok..was talking to Jon last night and told him about this place-he said he wants to check it out..so maybe we will go to Key West in the future-because well we LOVE cats! And I love water and he loves beaches. His Brother lives in West Palm Beach. he hunkered down and didn't seem too worried. He said that he's been through the other hurricanes and he wasn't worried. He's about 5 blocks from the beach. I didn't hear from him last night but Jon said he texted him yesterday morning and he's ok.

I got another good friend in Ocala and he's ok. My best friend lives in Orlando and she's ok. So far sounds like we missed the destruction that it could have been. I fell asleep early last night so I haven't been on facebook to see how they are doing since yesterday when they checked in. I'm going to check on them now. Last I heard theres many people without power.

Eversource sent down some men for working on the electric grid down there-I imagine many groups have sent down people to help restore power. Hopefully it's not too hard to fix and I hope theres not too much destruction. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear none of our members have been in serious trouble.
Hoping to hear soon from family members evacuated from Miami and a dear friend living in Hollywood on the Eastern Coast (she didn't want to leave home).

Haven't yet heard from a nephew in the Dominican Republic who had found shelter in Santo Domingo.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I am! We had a rough night with sustained winds at 80mph. I have no power, and trees and limbs are down everywhere. We were on curfew until this morning.

In walking the yard I found two very frightened and cold baby squirrels who were clearly blown from their nest.

They are warm, snuggly and fed now inside my home!

I'm not posting much presently since I can only charge my phone in my car until power is back.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am! We had a rough night with sustained winds at 80mph. I have no power, and trees and limbs are down everywhere. We were on curfew until this morning.

In walking the yard I found two very frightened and cold baby squirrels who were clearly blown from their nest.

They are warm, snuggly and fed now inside my home!

I'm not posting much presently since I can only charge my phone in my car until power is back.