Hurricane Irma Is Heading Our Way!

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in Orlando and I spent the day battening down the hatches for my ferals and strays. Earlier in the week when Irma was set to come right over us we'd planned to fly to my mother's house in Memphis, TN. But once it took its westerly track we decided against it. Plus, I hated to leave all the ferals I feed. I've been through a good many hurricanes in my day but nothing like this.

All those in the direct path, please be safe.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots of good four-lane to six-lane highways going out, and they have been evacuating for days. Even so, south Florida is running out of gas, literally, and since the storm changed track to the west, that side of Florida has been caught not ready. So some have tried to leave or go to shelters, but those are filling up fast.

I am hoping against hope that the storm peters out and turns out not to be as devastating as predicted. It does happen.
Hopefully storm will turn a bit more to west, but it seems to have turned to north just now, if it does not turn it is going to hit straight to Key west.

I worry about sinkholes, all that water coming down is not going to help with that issue either, nothing scares me more than those.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Key West...the caretaker of the Hemingway cats and the house refused to evacuate the cats despite Mariel Hemingway's pleas to save her grandfather's kitties .... MH said they should crate up the cats and fly out of there....and now the storm is aiming for Key West!! My prayers for all of you in FL and GA...please, please keep giving updates as you are able. And if you lose power, there is a video showing how you can use a car charger for your cellphone and a 9volt battery to recharge your phone. (You use the spring from a ballpoint pen for a negative cable)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
for updates there's a thread on reddit for tropical storm coverage.
[live] Major Hurricane Irma Live Thread for /r/TropicalWeather

There's tweets and posts on reddit. If you download the app you can also follow along personal peoples' accounts and photos throughout the storm. There's lots of good information If you don't want to use google search.

I too am worried about our friends down south.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Much of Florida does not have electricity. I am thinking and praying about everyone down there..

I know they will update us as soon as they can. They are probably conserving what little access they have to the internet..

(((((HUGS)))))

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like Marco Island is where Irma is now.

Looking from Google Earth that was quite beautiful area. Irma was Cat 3 when it hit Marco Island, but that is still strong wind, there seems to be RV areas north north east of Marco Island, where Irma is heading, hopefully everyone got out from those.

Oh, there is also Corkscrew reserve where Irma is heading, hopefully Irma will weaken quickly over land.

I guess it moves to Naples and to Fort Myers from there.
upload_2017-9-10_23-5-2.png

Source: Southern Florida Enhanced Weather Satellite Map - AccuWeather.com

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lana (kookycats) lives in Naples. Another friend of mine, Margo, lives there, too. We've seen Margo on FB; she, her husband, their children and their cats are hanging tight in an inside bathroom (no windows). Last she said was that 129 mph winds are gusting around them; that was about 1/2 hour ago. Sustained winds are about 90 mph. Wind gusts of 131 mph have been recorded at the Naples airport. I've not seen Lana on FB at all.

Rick's cousin lives in West Palm Beach. He said they lost power early this afternoon.

I'm really worried about those Hemingway kitties.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Lana (kookycats) lives in Naples. Another friend of mine, Margo, lives there, too. We've seen Margo on FB; she, her husband, their children and their cats are hanging tight in an inside bathroom (no windows). Last she said was that 129 mph winds are gusting around them; that was about 1/2 hour ago. Sustained winds are about 90 mph. Wind gusts of 131 mph have been recorded at the Naples airport. I've not seen Lana on FB at all.

Rick's cousin lives in West Palm Beach. He said they lost power early this afternoon.

I'm really worried about those Hemingway kitties.
Sending all my good wishes and prayers to your friends, family, and the Hemingway Cats....
and all who live in Florida...

My friend, who has a winter condo in Bradenton (just south of Tampa), is freaking out...she is up here now, but is so upset... I told her: that at least she has her life, she is up here, and is not homeless. She also has a condo up here...
It is really bad...

I am so glad my cousin's son and his fiancé evacuated to Charlotte. They live in Tampa-- just bought a townhouse condo there, a few months ago...getting married in March...
Glad they and their dog are safe.. took 14 hours to drive to Charlotte...they left Friday morning..

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cellphone network might be down at Naples for some time now as power is out and cell phone towers might be broken or backup batteries empty.
I hope your friends are okay.
CNN announced that the cell towers are down in Naples. Right now, the eye is passing over.

luckyblackcat

Devoted Cat Momma
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in Florida as well, in the Jacksonville area. I'm not in an evacuation zone, so my family and I are hoping we can ride it out. It looks like it'll "start" around late night-early morning for us. On a side note, I experience frequent insomnia so I might be awake when it hits. I have to admit, I've been feeling very restless all day. I plan to keep Lizzie and Olivia, my two Cats, in my room with me. Both for comfort, and to keep them where it's safe.

Would appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. I've been praying for everyone else in the path of the storm.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We have some friends who live in Largo, which is between Tampa and the Gulf, on the peninsula. Their mobile home is about 2.5 miles from the barrier island and the Gulf and about 5 miles from Tampa Bay. They were ordered to evacuate last Thursday or Friday. So where did they go? To a hotel in St. Pete, which is on the tip of the peninsula between the Gulf and Tampa Bay. They were farther from the water at their home. Either way, they're going get the storm surge from both directions. They lived in Houston for about 50 years, so they know what a hurricane can do. All I can do is shake my head and worry about them.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I just got off the telephone with Jacqui Sands, the Director of Hemingway House. All the kitties are fine, as is the house as far as can be ascertained, however she did note, "you know, the yard's a mess, though."

Great news! There is nothing like getting the news straight from the source and I have been more than a bit worried about the humans and felines riding it out down there.