How can I tell how pregnant my cat is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All the babies are doing wonderful. Lilly is a great mom and just wants me to sit with her. It's so bad I've literally held her bowl to feed her while she nurses. Very spoiled I must say. We are going through canned food like crazy but I have gotten her to eat the kitten chow as well.

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are so cute! Glad to hear they are doing wonderful. :) Thank you for being so good to Lilly and her babies.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok ladies, Lilly cries anytime I go into the room and goes to the door like she wants out. She also is being a pain with food and wants a "fresh can" of food especially if it's not the kind that is her favorite. I'm literally going through five cans a day trying to get her to eat as much as I can. She eats about half of whatever I give her and dry food when she's done with that. But every time my daughter or I come in she runs to the stack of cans like she has to have a new one. Maybe I've spoiled her to much?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe ;)

Give her half a can, refrigerate the rest and heat it up later.

Is there a reason why she shouldn't walk around the house? I'll bet she will be back with her babies very quickly.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She can walk around one side of the house where the dogs dont go, I just didn't know if I should let her leave the room and I am so worried she will get out because I have one daughter at home still who is in and out and very forgetful with leaving doors open and I'm nervous Lilly would run out the front door.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, now I see why you're keeping her in the bedroom!

Last edited:

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She roamed around the house for a few but just wanted to sit by the front door like she is wanting outside. I'm not about to let that happen because I know where that would end! Plus with the coyotes and foxes around her she may become their dinner.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And too many babies depending on her right now. She'll just have to get over it.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Lilly decided to try to move her babies. When I came in she had one moved behind my daughters dresser. Unfortunately for Lilly it is so tight back there the kittens could get under the dresser but she couldn't. I have two nesting boxes set up and she refuses them. She had these babies on my dogs huge bed which is in a corner. I was wondering should the lights always be out or should they have some light during the day, as my boyfriend thinks she needs some light occasionally. This poor kitten was screaming when we came in and Lilly of course just ran to her food bowl. I don't know if I bug her to much, if its just Cat thing or what's going on. I'm new with cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there a closet in this bedroom that you can put the dog bed inside of for Lilly and her kittens?

Natural light is fine. A room light is fine. The kittens need very low light for awhile. The closet provides privacy and darkness, and Lilly has the rest of the room to relax in.

My understanding is she's in an unused room right now? As long as the kittens are all nursing and gaining weight you don't need to do much right now.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes the room is unused except for a few articles of clothing I may pop in and get. The bed is now partially in the closet because it is so large it won't fit all the way. There has been a lot of commotion the past couple days here with moving things around so that may have had something to do with it as well. She couldn't see everything but I'm sure she could hear it. Babies are nursing fine and sleeping a lot, but she will eat her can and go to them right after. I weighed the smallest and he has gained an ounce already.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was going to weigh them all tonight but wanted to leave her be for a bit because we had people over for a BBQ and I didn't want them messing with the babies.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So weigh them in the morning. Weight gain sounds good. I think leaving her be for the most part is a very good idea!

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are scooting all over the place and I'm sure they will be scooting off the dog bed within a week. Lilly gets upset and cries and puts a foot out to stop them so it's entertaining. They babies have all gained at least two ounces but I do have a runt that is at 5.9. He seems to always be the last to the teat when I go in there and the orange ones are big bullies. They seem fine though. No crying

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are 5 days old, right? I think the runt was 3.3 about 3 days ago, so not bad. Just keep an eye on him!

Sounds like they are doing well :).

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they are. I am watching. Thank you.

terrietarr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Lilly decided today to move the babies from the bedroom to the garage. My daughter called me hysterical at work saying she couldn't find them and they were in the garage in a three drawer storage bin my other daughter didn't take to college with her. The bottom drawer is pulled out and not that big but she put them in there. I guess that's where she wants them to be. We do have some open eyes today too[emoji]128572[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji]