Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well thank u. My mom and I definitely think he is worth it! He is very time consuming and nerve racking though! I would've pulled my hair out by now if not for everyone here

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you tell me about this medicine again please? The name and what it does? I think you said the vet approved it for you. Is it supposed to help him poop, but hopefully not be diarrhea? I just want to focus on this specifically for a moment if you don't mind so I can better answer your question.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The original medicine I asked about was bethanechol chloride but they gave me something different. It's supposed to increase the spasm in his bladder that normally causes cats to pee. It's side effect is possible diareah due to increased bowel spasm. I am hoping this helps him to actually poop so he won't have to have any kind of laxative anymore.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is a vet prescription medications that must be picked up through a pharmacy.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just read about bethanechol chloride, and it is a medicine for humans who are experiencing bladder retention issues after surgery or after having a baby. It is used off-label for cats. Here are links to read about it:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/bethanechol-chloride

http://www.marvistavet.com/bethanechol-chloride.pml

I suggest that you start this medicine on the weekend when you can be there to observe Bob the entire time to determine how he responds, as the list of potential side effects is quite long.

Side effects can range from breathing issues to diarrhea, and it concerns me because he is so small. You should have liquid children's benadryl on hand also in case he suffers an allergic reaction to this.

I strongly suggest you not give this to him for the first day or two without being there to watch him and care for him. Once you see how he responds, I think it will be easier to decide if he needs to be separated and/or wear his diapers or not.

Can you start this on a day when you can mostly be home instead of at work?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will be starting it on a weekend, and it isn't that medicine that they gave me. The one they gave me is like pilocarban hydrochloride or something like that. (I'm not positive on the beginning bcz it's at the pharmacy) it is supposed to have the same effect they said though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is that the vet wrote a prescription for a generic of bethanechol chloride that does the same thing, so it's great you'll be there to see how he does!

I'm excited for your diapers to arrive, and to see a picture of them on him! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With the benadryl, is it kids u give him? And how much? I want to have it just in case as I never would've thought of it

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the diapers today. They r super cute and are made extremely well, they r to big [emoji]128532[/emoji]. One of the measurements was completely my fault, and the other theirs (or a total misunderstanding possibly). Either way he has some that I finally got right and I'll just make a couple more until he grows into these. Shouldn't be very long until he can wear them, and I'm super impressed with them as well as the price. Of i can get her to add an elastic band in the back (or I might do it myself) they will be perfect and will be really absorbent as well as soft!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So glad you got the diapers! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

It's children's benadryl (liquid), and his dose would be based on his weight if you need to use it.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, is the per pound on it? Cause he's like a pound I would say without a scale. Been a long time since I've used that stuff. I think my mom has a scale I can use to weigh him with.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Read the bottle for what it says to give children by weight, then reduce from there. I would think a tiny amount, like a drop or two from the dropper, and only if he has a bad reaction to the new medicine.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been lurking for a while, and I must say, I HAVE to see these kitty diapers! Any chance of getting pics?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I have to wait until Tuesday for the prescription to come in, but I sure hope it works. Bob won't let me completely empty his bladder anymore. It was huge when I got home today (being i didn't work a full day and it was only like 6 hrs between squeezes that's pretty terrible). I might have to make something that somehow holds him in an upper hug so he can't run up me. It really hurts. I think he feels the poop coming out and wants to use the facilities but we haven't come to an understanding yet about how to work this. I'm gonna try different ways of going about it, maybe get some puppy pads or something so we can do a different place than the sink, put him over the litter box, idk, anything that'll get it done. He really needs these pills to work! He's become quite feisty! I guess it's good, but the brat needs to let me do it or he will end up on uti meds again!