Help with pregnant kitty

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bob purred today! [emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128518[/emoji]I was so excited! It was adorable, but it sure didn't last very long unfortunately. At least I know his vibrator isn't broken! They always have dry food available all the time, and I was taking it and putting it in water in the fridge to let it get all mushy and adding olive oil to the one Bob was eating. None of that helped any apparently as it was hard as a rock in there. I went and got some 9 lives canned food last night and fed it to him last night when he finally woke up after his poop expedition. That apparently did it (or the rest of the enema) cause he was covered in poop (like idk how he even got it where he had it). I figured cheap canned food would do it for him. I guess at this point I can just keep switching his food around so he always should have diareah.
You don't want him to have diarrhea all the time. That means that he isn't getting nutrients because it is going through him too quickly. Please stick to a high quality food and consider giving a few drops of olive oil into his mouth throughout the day. You could also consider canned, plain pumpkin mixed with his food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree. Diarrhea is not healthy, nor is cheap cat food. Like I said, use wet food, but use quality. And get the infant glycerin suppositories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much of the pumpkin do I mix with his food? I had to give him another enema today cause he is so backed up. I can feel it when I squeeze him. I feel like if I can somehow get all that out then maybe we will have a place to start from again. Will the suppositories have the same negative effects as the enema? His poop is so hard it looks and feels like dog food when it comes out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What negative effects? A glycerin suppository is very gentle.

Use a teaspoon of pumpkin.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Giving him to many enemas can cause him to loose more of the feeling that he had and make him more bowel incontinent. Poor little Bob, I hate trying to do all this to him. He looks at me with his little face and he makes me feel like I'm being mean to him. I guess it's worth it later though

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it says 100% pumpkin that's what I'm looking for right? I read not pumpkin pie filling but they all have pics of pies on them. I don't know what the difference is... o, does it matter where I get the baby suppositories? I live right by a couple of dollar stores.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it says 100% pumpkin that's what I'm looking for right? I read not pumpkin pie filling but they all have pics of pies on them. I don't know what the difference is... o, does it matter where I get the baby suppositories? I live right by a couple of dollar stores.
100% pumpin. No spices or anything else. It shouldn't matter where you get the suppositories.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I looked and found a medicine that is supposed to help incontinent cats so I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if she will prescribe it to him. It says it can possibly help with his pooping too, so I'm really hopeful that she can give it to him and it will work. Also, does anyone know if I can get pet insurance on him to maybe help with costs? Or is that stuff even worth it?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I've been giving Bob a mixture of wet food, water, olive oil, and miralax and he has been pooping and not getting stopped up. I'm going to rotate it around with just wet food and see if it gives the same result. I also called the vet today to ask if I could give him a drug called bethanechol chloride that's supposed to help him pee and poop. They said I can pick up the prescription and try it but they aren't sure if it will help at all. I am hoping that his diapers come very soon as I am terrible at making them and he has been getting changed like 8 times a day. I have been putting desitin on him as long as his diaper is on and I am home. The babies r doing great, screech absolutely hates being picked up (I have no idea why). Here's a pic of everyone, they r all in my bed right now lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Adorable! Did they say when to expect the custom diapers? How many did you order? I'm glad he's not constipated though.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They say they should be here tomorrow and I ordered 7 of them. I spent a few hours at my mom's last night making him some and I think I've figured out what I'm doing finally. (Just a little late lol) hopefully the ones that were made work well though and if they do I will most definitely be ordering him more from her as he grows. He hasn't been at all constipated in the past few days. It's a bit more messy but a mess I'm definitely willing to clean. His med from the dr is a special order so it'll be a few days before I get it from Walmart and then hopefully it'll work! I am taking moo moo and all the babies to my mom's tomorrow so my brother and his kids can see them and hopefully they get a couple of homes there once they r fixed.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, I swear Bob can cut me off when I'm making him pee. Is that normal? Or is it just when he meows and moving? I just noticed it yesterday. If he can, is it a good thing or a bad one? (I read somewhere that incontinent male cats can stop being able to be expressed and they die bcz of it) maybe I'm a worry wart and I really hope so.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your mom have any pets?  How about your brother?  I would be very nervous about taking unvaccinated kittens on a trip.  They will have so much exposure.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question, but many cats with manx tail symptoms live normal lives. He may just be uncomfortable and exercising his independence a little. Do you mean he stops peeing mid-stream, or what?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom does who r all current on vaccines (I take them for them myself). Bob's been over there a few times bcz it's right by the vet and she has tried making a couple diapers for him.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'll be in the middle of a good squeeze and it seems like he just all of a sudden stops. I can't get it going without a release of his belly either so I think he is doing it. Then of coarse he starts being a brat and yelling and wanting me to cuddle him. Maybe he just feels better (like the pee pressure is gone) so he wants it over.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that it must be the result of Bob feeling uncomfortable, bless his heart. It sounds like he's fighting it. I think it's good that he's spunky though!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well that makes me feel better. I was worried. Maybe if he can stop it, he will learn to start it! So, I know it isn't quite ideal bcz of his age, but would it be ok to separate Bob for at least a few hrs a day and confine him once he starts his meds to see if he goes? I would have to leave him in the room so he doesn't leak poop all over but I obviously can't leave him diapered if he's going to try the med. I'm at a little of a loss of how exactly to juggle the situation as we can't have on diapers and use the facilities at the same time, nor does 2nd mom (me) want the house covered in little Bob presents. I work during the day, he can stay without in the kitten room while I'm gone, but idk if I'll be able to tell if he actually went or not just by feel.