Help with pregnant kitty

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this I saved a pregnant inside cat from becoming a barn cat and need some help. I have NEVER had a cat who wasn't fixed so I need all the help I can get. First of all I want to deworm her so she can be around the rest of my animals (last stray I took in cost me around $400 for vet bills on him and the other furries). Taking her to vetco to get the combo test done, and already put revolution on her. Poor kitty is very small and skinny with a HUGE belly. The ppl who had her claimed they vetted her bit I don't trust them and my 4 fur babies don't need anymore complications. What type of over the counter tapeworm med can i give her? And what do I do for her? She's going to have the babies in the next two weeks I'm sure (from what I've read) if not sooner.

So I saved a pregnant cat from being a barn cat. The people u got her from claimed to have taken her to the vet previously however I do not trust the person who brought me a very skinny huge bellied cat in a very small cardboard box with 4 holes cut in the side (thank God I brought my pet taxi). I want/need to deworm her, so I need to find an over the counter tapeworm med (already found one for the others). I put revolution on her as soon as she got home bcz u could tell she had fleas. I'm taking her to vetco to get the combo test as soon as they r here next.

For everyone wondering she will be spayed as soon as she can be, and the kittens before leaving as I found a place that does it really really cheap. I also had a home lined out for her before I took her, she just has to have babies first and they be old enough to go.

I've NEVER had a cat who wasn't fixed so I'm kinda lost here on what all to do for her, but I knew she COULDN'T be a barn cat! Any advice for a person new to the whole process here would be great! Also, I know it will be soon when she has them, but not sure when. She's really big and u can feel the babies doing lots of moving around. She feels like she has milk and her nipples r really big and pink. Anyone have a guess at when I will be seeing babies?

Last edited by a moderator:

minie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in England so don't know what is available in the states. I think the best thing is to go into a pet shop and ask what they have for tape worm that is safe for a pregnant queen. Or ask a vet, then you can shop around for the product. I hope this helps and good luck

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I saved a pregnant cat from being a barn cat. The people u got her from claimed to have taken her to the vet previously however I do not trust the person who brought me a very skinny huge bellied cat in a very small cardboard box with 4 holes cut in the side (thank God I brought my pet taxi). I want/need to deworm her, so I need to find an over the counter tapeworm med (already found one for the others). I put revolution on her as soon as she got home bcz u could tell she had fleas. I'm taking her to vetco to get the combo test as soon as they r here next. I can't afford a bunch of vet bills as the last one cost me $400 this month that adopted me.

For everyone wondering she will be spayed as soon as she can be, and the kittens before leaving as I found a place that does it really really cheap. I also had a home lined out for her before I took her, she just has to have babies first and they be old enough to go.

I've NEVER had a cat who wasn't fixed so I'm kinda lost here on what all to do for her, but I knew she COULDN'T be a barn cat! Any advice for a person new to the whole process here would be great! Also, I know it will be soon when she has them, but not sure when. She's really big and u can feel the babies doing lots of moving around. She feels like she has milk and her nipples r really big and pink. Anyone have a guess at when I will be seeing babies?
Its difficlt to know WHEN, as you already feel them move.  But milk is usually coming quite late.  Next point will be when she "drops" suddenly feells smaller, and the kittens further down and less movable.  Than its just one- two days left...

You cant afford a full priced vet at this moment, you tell. But perhaps you can get phone or mail advice from your usual vet?  You are after all a full paying patient.  Another option to get such advices is from this cheap spaying place.  These cheap spaying clinic usually are cheaper on other vet treatments too.  They can surely give advices on sure dewormers.

Droncit is a safe and good tape-worm dewormer.  Made by Bayer.

Otherwise you can try with some milk allrounder, even if revolution  has component against roundworms...

For example, the british Milbomax is mild.  So is  Drontal, this too made by Bayer.

I cant say I wholehearly recommend two different dewormers on a high preg, perhaps in a so so condition.  But if you are desperate enough?   Anyway, its another reason why to try and get OK from some local vet, whom know what is there to buy locally.

Because I agree with you, some of the OTC preparates arent good nor safe.

You have seen the articles there are on our site?

Anyways, get home some kmr or goats milk, a scale, a dropper / needleless syringe and or a make-up sponge.  Glucose sugar or honey.  And read on. If there are complications, you wont be defenceless.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I saw in the other post you have, you ask about suitable food.  She needs good food, and much. Think kitten-type food and or wet food.  Let there be lotsa of calcium too. Goats milk is excellent - both for her and if necessary for the kittens too.  Kmr is good, but its pricey, cost more than goats milk - which in itself cost more than common cow milk.

Plain full fat youghurt works OK, so is a little mild cheese.  Raw egg yolk is excellent and easily digestible.  If you have problems with salomonella on eggs in your place, cooked eggs are OK too.    Egg shells crushed into fine powder can be sprinkled alike salt on her food - egg shells are constructed from pure calcium....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started feeding her kitten food as soon as I got her here yesterday, and I will definitely be doing the egg thing as she acts like and looks like she is starving. My usual vet is closed today and most likely tomorrow for the holiday and it being Sunday. I have called multiple vets and they all give different responses to the tapeworm question which I find odd. I don't want to leave her locked in a room for months before she can get this done bcz if she had fleas (which I'm positive she did) odds r likely she has tapeworms. My usual vet has told me revolution is only good for prevention not treatment of worms so that's what worries me. One of the vets acted like I was terrible for not wanting to waste both mine and little moo-moo's (what i decided to refer to her as for now) time bringing her in for them to tell me whether or not they had something. I'm SO CONFUSED! Why am I being told yes, no, and bring her in (money wasters) by different vets? Poor baby just needs to be healthy and I'm sure trying to make sure she is. Also, I read some things about the complications but I'm really confused on how to tell if I need to step in or not. My mom told me just get a box and some blankets and she will do the rest but I think I've read myself into a panic. Saving mama and babies is nerve racking! Also what's the glucose and honey for?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I started feeding her kitten food as soon as I got her here yesterday, and I will definitely be doing the egg thing as she acts like and looks like she is starving. My usual vet is closed today and most likely tomorrow for the holiday and it being Sunday. I have called multiple vets and they all give different responses to the tapeworm question which I find odd. I don't want to leave her locked in a room for months before she can get this done bcz if she had fleas (which I'm positive she did) odds r likely she has tapeworms. My usual vet has told me revolution is only good for prevention not treatment of worms so that's what worries me. One of the vets acted like I was terrible for not wanting to waste both mine and little moo-moo's (what i decided to refer to her as for now) time bringing her in for them to tell me whether or not they had something. I'm SO CONFUSED! Why am I being told yes, no, and bring her in (money wasters) by different vets? Poor baby just needs to be healthy and I'm sure trying to make sure she is. Also, I read some things about the complications but I'm really confused on how to tell if I need to step in or not. My mom told me just get a box and some blankets and she will do the rest but I think I've read myself into a panic. Saving mama and babies is nerve racking! Also what's the glucose and honey for?
Its mainly for quick and easy energy giving, esp in emergencies.

glucose sugar, together with salts and water, make a terrific home made pedialyte.  Useful for example, when they got diarrhea.  (works for humans too!).

Also, if a kitten gets weak and lethargic, it helps often to smear a thick glucose sugar water solution on the lips and the gum.

Or if momma is very exhausted by a delivery with several kittens.

Glucose sugar goes direclty into blood from the mouths, it doesnt need to be digested, unlike common table sugar.

It seems glucose sugar proper is difficult to find in USA (in Sweden where I live its easy to find).  But honey does contain much glucose sugar.  so does white caro syrup.

Which is used by many rescuers.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, I would've never thought of that. So helpful! Not something I read anywhere either. Thank u!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: I took little moo-moo to the vet, they say she's about a year old and that she might be a week away. She's very small, but they say she's healthy as far as they can tell. She got a general dewormer for now. She seems pretty content although I feel bad for segregating her the vet said just keep her away for now.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the kittens move less before birth? When she first got here they were doing flips and u could see and feel them. Now, it's like I barely ever see them and barely feel them. Is this normal? (I might just be overreacting but I'm worried!)

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg thank u so much! I've been stressed to the max about it! So does that mean that she should have them in the next couple of days?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. I guess she has also "dropped" ie her tummy suddenly seems less big, no?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She doesn't really seem less big I wouldn't say. Although she's a really small gal just herself. She has me all nervous and excited too! It makes me very glad all my animals r fixed though!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So she threw up just a little while ago, should I be concerned? She had to have done it within an hr, but when I went back in she went to the food bowl again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So she threw up just a little while ago, should I be concerned? She had to have done it within an hr, but when I went back in she went to the food bowl again.
Nay, occasional throwing is normal.   If its much - is concerning, but not occasional.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok thank God. It wasn't much. She's eaten some since then. She was laying on top of the pet taxi when I was in there instead of the bed. Do u think she's hot? Usually she's sprawled out on the bed. I've made her a spot and left the taxi in there in case she would rather that. I'm not sure what's going on with her, or if she's even in labor. Am I just being to nervous now? Pregnant kitties make me nervous!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She just threw up again. It was twice while I was in there. I turned the heat down in the room bcz I thought maybe she was overheated. Idk what to do to help her and it is snowing outside so idk when I could get her to the vet

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She just threw up again. It was twice while I was in there. I turned the heat down in the room bcz I thought maybe she was overheated. Idk what to do to help her and it is snowing outside so idk when I could get her to the vet
Yeah, its no easy situations.   Somewhat easier when you DO have easy access to a good vet.  Lets hope for the best!

Be sure she drinks enough.  If necessary, prepare a home made pedialyte.  Easiest on honey as glucose sugar source, and some kitchen salt, + water, not so much honey and salt  it takes on the flavors..      There are more elaborate variations if she needs it several days running.