Help with pregnant kitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I will have to get a scale tomorrow and I already got the goats milk just in case. I helped finish drythem off while she buried her head in my lap. She just had number 3

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its touching to hear your momma cat is seeking her refuge and ease with you.  You you ARE there for her, and her kittens!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have 4. Poor number 4 is hanging in there but had a rough jump start and is still chilly but she's finally warming him up. I put the warm water bottle close to him but he finally crawled in there. She apparently did really take a liking to me in her short time here. I was so glad she felt safe with me. She seems to have stopped (for now anyway). I think they came out in sets and the 2nd ones seemed to give her troubles. They r so adorable! They seem to be getting milk so all is well for now!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice job to you and the mama kitty! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank u everyone for all of ur help and support! So now I have a question as to the spaying and neutering. I've talked to several ppl, places and done some searching but I find every answer is different. When should I get them all done? I've talked to the place where I am taking them and the one person I talked to gave me 3 different answers in one conversation. I was baffled. So I gather somewhere between 2 lbs and 12 weeks for the kittens from what she said, and the mama anywhere from 5 weeks to the 12 weeks. So with so much conflicting info what's best for everyone and should I take the mom and then the babies or everyone at the same time?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm also still in debates on getting rid of moo-moo. I don't really need another cat but after her burying her head deep in my lap and having the babies on me I feel like she's taken a great liking to me and I to her (it's pretty hard not to when she's looking to me for help). I was debating on keeping one of the kittens bcz I've never had kittens or been able to say I've had one since the day they were born. Any tips, suggestions? I love my animals but I don't want to end up being the crazy cat lady either! Lol!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is 3, there's something wrong with its tail. Idk if u can see anything in the pics bcz they aren't very good but it's like a swirl almost. It doesn't move at all. Idk anything about this or if it needs to be amputated or what. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow but I want to see if anyone has any suggestions or has ever had a problem like this. It won't fall off will it!?

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does kitten's tail feel cold to the touch?  If so, there may not be blood circulation getting to it (if no circulation, not good, amputation may not be able to be done in a tiny newborn) - Is momma grooming this kitten and her tail? Is this kitten nursing well?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems to be nursing well and mama seems to be cleaning him (or her). It doesn't feel cold really, but it's tail isn't all puffy like the rest of the fur, kinda funny feeling.

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the tail feels like a thin stick, that might not be good -you have to watch this kitten closely to make sure he/she is nursing well, that MooMoo is not neglecting him, and that the other kittens don't chew on him - sometimes if overcrowded, or if momma leaves the nest for some time and the kittens are hungry, they will try to "nurse" on a sibling, which can cause bruising, a wound, etc. 

How soon can you get MooMoo and babies to a vet?  This little one especially should be checked - you'd have to take them all together in her carrier (a large carrier with a soft warm blanket inside so the kittens are not chilled when you're enroute.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm at work right now but going to call the vet asap when they open. I didn't know they would hurt him. I will hopefully be able to get them today bcz I am worried more now. He seems ok so far but I will keep a close watch over him. Hopefully he is ok

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom is spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old. The kittens can be spayed and neutered at two pounds, which is often at 8 weeks. This means they can all go in together if you wish.

I took my queen to my private vet for spaying when the kittens were 8 weeks old. Later, I took the kittens to a low-cost clinic. I took two kittens at 12 weeks, and a week later I took the other two kittens to the clinic. I split it up because it was easier for me to handle just two pet carriers at a time, and the clinic required that each kitten be in its own cage.

The cat was a pregnant stray I took in. She had 4 kittens. I had no intention of keeping all of them, but in the end I kept mama and all 4 of her babies. Flash forward nearly 2 years later: I have a wonderful cat family that I adore and cannot imagine living without.

I think you should think in terms of "rehoming" rather than "getting rid of", and ask yourself if you have room in your heart, home, and budget for more cats when deciding whether to permanently adopt MooMoo and/or a kitten.

This site is full of cat lovers! I have 5 cats and do not consider myself "a crazy cat lady." Rather, I am a cat lover who fails at fostering!

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I've become pretty intensely cost effective when it's come to my animals. I always find coupons and ways to save on things like shots ect. The cost of shots is emmencly cheaper at places like vetco and I still take them to my normal vet once a year. I think I will wait and see what happens with them and how everyone gets along bcz I have 2 cats and 2 dogs so it would be 4 and 2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is a failure at fostering lol. I will be taking them all together then because the clinic is a little way from the house and I figure if everyone is feeling the same way at the same time I'll have less trouble

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we now have a Bob tail kitten. Took him to a vet I found (who is like 10 cheaper on visits!) And she said they all looked good and healthy but his tail may cause problems later since it doesn't move. She cut it off for free! Bless her heart! Even gave me enough dewormer for them til they r 8 weeks and only charged me for that! Told me they r all boys since i already had them in there. That's the whole gang eating lunch and #3 aka bob's new tail lol. Sweet and adorable little family!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Was this a board certified, licensed veterinarian who did this?

Was this a surgery with anesthesia, stitches, antibiotics, and pain medicine?

What did the vet think was the problem with the tail?

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes it was a real vet. No, they do not need things when they do this, same as removing dew claws or docking a puppies tail. It was a birth defect she says bit it would've not ever been able to be used. Being the age they heal quicker and have less to worry about like the veins, bleeding ect. All is well with the baby, all happy and healthy like the rest, just a teeny tiny little swirl stub left for a tail.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it was a real vet. No, they do not need things when they do this, same as removing dew claws or docking a puppies tail. It was a birth defect she says bit it would've not ever been able to be used. Being the age they heal quicker and have less to worry about like the veins, bleeding ect. All is well with the baby, all happy and healthy like the rest, just a teeny tiny little swirl stub left for a tail.
Well, docking tails is considered cruel by many. And I would sincerely hope that anesthesia would be used for any kind of declaw.